Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Something to consider

okie archer

I know it's been discussed many times but sometimes like this week for example being rejected by both Idaho moose and Nevada everything it kind of makes to reevaluate some things. Just doing some quick basic math I added up applying for Idaho moose and Nevada everything for 20 years and that totals roughly $8700 at today's prices and a guy STILL may never draw.
Or you could spend that money now on Alaska drop hunt or Newfoundland hunt. No one is getting younger. Obviously it's a choice every individual has to make and this is not a "what should I do?, post" I have applied 3 times for Idaho moose and I think I'm now at 6 points in Nevada for everything. I'm kinda thinking about bailing before I get 20 years and $10k in and have nothing to show for it. But on the other hand a moose or sheep hunt would be awesome. Decisions, decisions.
I know, I know, you gotta pay to play and someone is going to draw and there's still a chance but seriously...

Last edited:
I know it's been discussed many times but sometimes like this week for example being rejected by both Idaho moose and Nevada everything it kind of makes me reevaluate some things. Just doing some quick basic math I added up applying for Idaho moose and Nevada everything for 20 years and that totals roughly $8700 at today's prices and a guy STILL may never draw.
Or you could spend that money now on Alaska drop hunt or Newfoundland hunt. No one is getting younger. Obviously it's a choice every individual has to make and this is not a "what should I do?, post" I have applied 3 times for Idaho moose and I think I'm now at 6 points in Nevada for everything. I'm kinda thinking about bailing before I get 20 years and $10k in and have nothing to show for it. But on the other hand a moose or sheep hunt would be awesome. Decisions, decisions.
I know, I know, you gotta pay to play and someone is going to draw and there's still a chance but seriously...
Took me 36 years to draw my first big 3. If I tallied all the funds for licenses, fees, raffles, etc, I’d be surprised I’m sure.

I will also continue to do so, in increasing amounts, knowing that I most likely will not draw another big 3 in any of the many states I send.

That’s why I hunt everything else, deer, elk, bear, birds, fish, mushrooms, agates, etc. It’s what I love to do. If it wasn’t, I wouldn’t.

There’s a lot to it if you include the setting in the calculus. For some people, the place is just as important as the animal. They’d rather try and miss on low odds for their whole lifetime than save up 10K and guarantee hunting someplace that’s not as meaningful to them. That can change either direction over time as well.

Another thing to consider is that you can't even sniff a desert sheep hunt for under 50k. But I can throw my name in the hat and hope to get lucky.

The species you're pursuing a tag for makes the decision easier on whether to apply or not.

Okie Archer, you know my thoughts but I'll throw in my 2 cents. For me, a big portion of the enjoyment is the new places that tag applications can send me. I apply in most western states for most species and enjoy the adventure that comes with that. Paying for a hunt or paying someone to apply for me isn't really appealing to me. I'm a numbers nerd and might spend way to much time analyzing draw data. That's all part of what makes drawing a special tag sweet. I don't think there's a wrong way to go about it. It boils down to the experience your after.

If you just want a moose, then it makes absolute sense to save up and head north. The exception being if you live in WY, CO, or especially ID. Resident odds are way different than NR. If you want a Shiras, then you have no option but to keep applying.

In regard to NV: I think there is a perception that the state manages the herds really well and there is low pressure which equals a really good hunt. There are so few tags that odds will always be tough, but they have gotten really tough with an explosion of new applicants and extreme drought. NV is not for everyone if you're going to bail you better do it now. It would be hard for me to bail at any point, but it will only get harder the longer you do it. Thats why I keep sending UT my money every year lol. It's the only state I regret getting started in.

Last edited:
For moose it's no question forget the draws and go hunt moose. I had a great moose hunt in newfie for under 7k all in. Higher than that now at the same outfitter but still great hunts to be had there for a reasonable price. Or one could hit AK but a good drop there can be pricey.

I've been thinking of ways to pony up the money for an Alaska moose hunt for a long time. Unfortunately my pony is more of a goat.

Back