Someone Stop Me

Sheltowee

I have been daydreaming quite a bit lately about building a stalking rifle off of a CZ 550 FS or a Ruger 77 International in .257Ackley Improved. Have to think a 115gr. Barnes TTSX doing around 3000fps would be pretty serious medicine for pronghorn and eastern Whitetail with a light 2-7x scope on top.

Would it be redundant for existing rifles I already have in the collection? Absolutely.
Could I accomplish the same or better with a factory-standard rifle and a commercially-available cartridge? Without a doubt.
Might this rifle turn into the murder weapon that my wife inevitably uses on me? Indubitably.

I've read through several old threads and see that some of you tote the .257AI. Any thoughts on this particular cartridge? Anyone put together a similar stalking rifle concept?

$1 invested now and earning an average of 10% annually will be $10 in 25 years. 25 years from now, would you wish you had 10x the current price in cash, or the rifle?

I could probably build it cheaper on a Tikka action (which I'm a huge fan of and already have a .338-06 in the works on) or a Bergara, but I'm really wanting something with a full-length Mannlicher style stock. I have a soft spot for the Ruger 77 MkII since that was my first deer rifle. Thought on using the CZ 550 or a Ruger RSI is that I would not need to find an aftermarket, full-length stock.

I could probably build it cheaper on a Tikka action (which I'm a huge fan of and already have a .338-06 in the works on) or a Bergara, but I'm really wanting something with a full-length Mannlicher style stock. I have a soft spot for the Ruger 77 MkII since that was my first deer rifle. Thought on using the CZ 550 or a Ruger RSI is that I would not need to find an aftermarket, full-length stock.
I’d also like to hear about this .338-06. There are some bad influences here that have me rethinking my current .338-06.

Sounds like fun to me. I think I were the one in the driver's seat, I would be looking at the Ruger #1A....

I don't have a lot of insight on the cartridge, but as for action, I like the CZ better. 77 actions seem so much bulkier than the CZ for both being a mauser clone,

Last edited:
I’d also like to hear about this .338-06. There are some bad influences here that have me rethinking my current .338-06.
Tikka T3X action, 22" Lilja sporter contour barrel, Mesa Precision Altitude stock, Mountain Tactical pic rail, RedSnake Tactical AICS bottom metal, MDT AICS long action mag, Mountain Tactical knurled bolt handle and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 on top, all being put together by Richie at High Tech Custom Rifles in Colorado Springs. He has a last couple of pieces to Cerakote and should be coming home to me in the next week or so. Will post pics when it does.

My only concern is that it is coming in around 6.5 pounds scoped... it is going to buck pretty hard. Smith wants to put a brake on it but I'm determined to let it bash my brains in for a little bit before I give in.

No sweat, we'll have ya coached up to 338 Lapua in a couple pages. Or a wildcat LUM...

Stop talking about me behind my back man
Furthermore you definitely need to build one on a 700

Can confirm. You are the bad influence. Still gotta find something left handed to try and then make a decision based on that.

I like your idea of a Mannlicher style stock but I would look for a Sako with a full stock to start my build. I would probably also chamber it in 6.5x55 or 7mm Mauser. Those two cartridges just seem right for a stalking rifle.

I look forward to hearing about your 338-06.

I say go for it. Me and my son bought him a Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington and put a nutmeg laminate stock on it we had custom checkered. It was glass and pillar bedded. That thing really shoots and with a 90 gr. E-tip everything he has shot has been one and done! That list included one shot on a big old cow elk at 350 yards broadside. She went 20 yards after the hit and tipped over. Another nice thing about the Ruger short action magazines is that they are 3.0" plus so there's plenty of room to seat a bullet out further if need be.

I feel like the 257AI would be a dandy cartridge. It seems like it would be a well balanced cartridge and fits that case size very well. I would expect a decent amount of performance over the standard 257 Roberts. This coming from a guy who shoots a 280AI and used to shoot a 280 Remington.

Looks to be a reason the op picked those two rifles. Use the Ruger. Who cares if somebody isn't thrilled with it. Both of us typing at the same time. mtmuley
Gotta agree, who care's! I went with the 260 Rem over the 6.5 Creedmoor. Much easier to find MTY case's for the 260 over the 250-3000 I wanted. Ever opens up again I will have a 250-3000! Which brings up, Seem's I read Ackley prefered the 250-3000AI over any of the other's he did. I'm not gonna get an AI though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back