Some very hot rocks.

I almost stepped into this one in 2015. Ive seen a few that had glowing red lava looking coal burning. I’m surprised there are not more fires than there actually are in some places in MT with coal seams..

I was dropping branches into this one and it was so hot they would just poof - gone.

F694B87B-7701-4313-9BD3-EFB00C795EA7.jpeg

Spontaneous combustion. As the coal dries out and is exposed to oxygen the pyrite found in it oxidizes and generates heat catching on fire. Some coal has more pyrite than others. Western coal has much less than eastern coal (not as old) Rocks with high sulfide content can also catch fire.

Seriously!?!? Dang, I learned something today, after all. Thanks!

That is crazy! Is it obvious when you are near one, or can you walk right up on one without seeing or smelling anything?

The burning coal seams cook the surrounding sedimentary rocks resulting in more resistant reddish rocks like the hills in Campbell County Wy and surrounding area.

That is crazy! Is it obvious when you are near one, or can you walk right up on one without seeing or smelling anything?
Usually the ground is slumping above the coal seam. If you are down wind you will smell them and on cold days with humidity often there will be a plume of steam.

The burning coal seams cook the surrounding sedimentary rocks resulting in more resistant reddish rocks like the hills in Campbell County Wy and surrounding area.
Same on much of the Custer. Some times the rocks get so hot they melt and other times the rocks trap so many gas bubbles that the resulting rock will float in water.

About a month ago I helped two guys that were mapping burning coal seams with a drone. This one maxed out the infrared thermometer on the drone at 950 degrees.
Finally got up there last week to check it out. A large amount of the hill side has slumped away and exposed this glowing 12 foot long crack.
Still no sleestaks. BenIMG_0325.JPG

Last edited:
The western coals, lignite and subbituminous are the easiest to self ignite. They have higher moisture and volatile levels.
Not that bituminous and anthracite won't do it, we get some coal pile fires every so often at the plant. The fire in Centralia PA was started from a trash burn near a seam than was under the dump.
The town is pretty much gone now, it was eerie to drive through that town in the 80's.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back