Some very hot rocks.

Hope you peed on that could be a long fire season.
I was being very carful were I put my feet, dang sure would not want to has ground give way and fall in to one of those crack. Having your pants down would be double bad.
Besides, I am over 50, No way I was risking getting that close. Just don't have the kind pressure needed for long distance fire control.

Last edited:
Well at least you’ll know where to keep an eye out this fire season!

I was boar hunting in southern West Virginia late one fall and found several places with smoke coming out of the ground from burning coal seams. None appeared as close to the surface as those found by OP, but it was still kind of spooky.

@ZBB, I have grown to really like the crab song...

How does a fire like that get started?
Spontaneous combustion. As the coal dries out and is exposed to oxygen the pyrite found in it oxidizes and generates heat catching on fire. Some coal has more pyrite than others. Western coal has much less than eastern coal (not as old) Rocks with high sulfide content can also catch fire.

Most all coal mines have some fire issues. One underground mine in PA had been burning under an abandoned town for like 50 years with no end in site.

How does a fire like that get started?
This one was started by a lighting strike wild fire in 2017. Any exposed coal seam is at risk of catching fire. Most burn out fairly quickly, but I know of one that has burning as long as I can remember and who knows how long before my time. There are cracks caused by slumping a good 100 yards from the vent.

Last edited:
This one was started by a lighting strike wild fire in 2017. Any exposed coal seam is at risk of catching fire. Most burn out fairly quickly, but I know of one that has burning as long as I can remember and who knows how long before my time. There are cracks caused by slumping a good 100 yards from the vent.
True, some do catch fire from wildfire, or lightning as well. The self-ignition usually needs 'fresh' exposure as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back