Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Solo waterfowl hunting in a kayak or canoe?

I’ve been using a pirogue for years and love it. That thing has hauled alot of ducks, deer, and turkeys out of the swamp for me.

My main use for the kayak was to access shoreline I could not walk to or to get to islands then I would pull the kayak up and into the woods. I'd use it reteive birds I couldn't wade to. Had a major mishap one time in a sit in canoe. I cannot highley enough recommend a sit on top if you plan on strapping anything to the kayak or getting in and out alot...

When I first came home from the army I commandeered my mom's little sit in kayak. Added some webbing g to the front and back and a piece of pipe hanger for the gun rest.

I would get to the lake bring the kayak to the water put a trash bag of my layers behind the seat, strap a decoy bag to the front and back. Put on my waders and put my soft gun case in between my legs pointing into the front of the kayak.

All was good for a while until one day.. I was riding into my spot set up just like above. Sun was just starting to rise and I had to hurry, I broke the thin surface ice on my approach. I went to lift my leg out of the kayak and somehow managed to get my wader boot tangled in the gun case sling. Now I have one leg out that I cant put down because my boots caught on the case stuck in the front of the kayak in between legs, a case halfway out I cant put back in because the slings around my boot dangling above the water all in thick restricting waders. I was kinda F'ed and stuck the only thing I could so was try to put a hand on the bank and almost pull myself out. The bank was straight mud and my hand and arm went right in I tipped the kayak and got ice cold water all in my waders. I had to pull the kayak out drain it. Freezing Soaking wet in the mud. Not one of my finer moments.

Sit on tops are where its at.

Last edited:
Done quite a bit of it...

For a canoe two people is a must. I typically jump shoot with a canoe, the person in the front shoots, back paddles, you switch when someone gets a shot. Ducks land in the river you deploy your corgi he grabs the bird and swims back to the boat where the paddler hauls him in.

Labs are terrible canoe companions, we tried it a couple of times with epic failures. Petty much impossible to get them into the boat from the water and you will capsise the boat when they leap over the head of the shooter to get the ducks ;)

I have also used the canoe as a mechanism to access spots and use decoys. Those times I had a blind on shore.

For a jump shooting with a kayak I would want something with pedals and a rudder to keep the boat tracking.

I've never-brushed in a kayak but I would imagine that would be the way to go if you were using it to hunt decoys on a lake/pond/flooded timber etc.

There is a great FB group dedicated to the topic https://www.facebook.com/groups/338255616328219/ some cool setups out there.

View attachment 124925

View attachment 124926

View attachment 124927

I want a bird dog real bad. My girlfriend loves a corgi....

I think we just figured out what our first dog will be... 😏

I always use the kayak just to access areas that I can't easily reach by land. Never shot birds out of it. I pull it up on the bank, away from where I am going to set up. I have some camo netting that I used to throw over it, but anymore I don't even bother with that(my kayak is green and black- blends in pretty well). My kayak is small so I only bring a couple of decoys strapped on the back. I tried to tow the decoy bag before, but it was a lot of drag.

Kayak is good for retrieving birds in deep water, and setting decoys.

20191103_084658.jpg
I hunt out of a full size canoe. Its a little long and narrow but it does move through the water nice. I can haul 3 doz duck and dozen goose decoys with it. I do use it by myself but usually restrict myself to smaller bodies of water because it can be a lot to manage in high wind.

If I wasn't a cheap ass I'd get a kayak to use when I'm on my own, plus it would force me to not drag along so many decoys I probably don't need.

Any of you use a kayak to go waterfowl hunting? If so, do you have a specific kayak you like and how do you go about camouflaging yourself/kayak?

I am also interested in thoughts on canoe waterfowling, but it is more likely I will be going out solo so a kayak is more likely what I would use.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

I have used both for years and like both, but if I was buying it specifically for waterfowl hunting I would buy a kayak. There are several good ones available depending on how much you want to drop on one. as well as how big you want it to be.

Mainer207 we have had very good luck with a Boykin

I use a 12' sit in pelican kayak. Most of the time we load it up with gear and walk it to the blind and then use it to get wounded birds or birds that get in the deep water. This year I built a metal frame this year that attaches to metal deck loops and has a flip open door. I brushed it in and throw decoys on the back. I used it to get to a far side of the lake that is unwadeable and back into the cattails. With 8-12 dekes I limited out the couple times i hunted that spot this year.

I hunt out of a sit on top- Lifetime sport angler I think is the name. It's VERY stable but requires a lot to keep it going straight. Looking to upgrade to maybe an ascend this year.
I set out dekes and just use it for a layout blind most of the time. On occasion I do stash it in the reeds. It's also great for jump shooting since it's non-motorized.
I used cheap garden netting and don't remember what type of grass. It's split in the middle opening like a taco.
14434939_1421580554523404_1781274432439890582_o.jpg

I hunt solo with my lab. I use 2 jet sleds, primarily hunting mud flats and shallow marshes.
The low profile of layout shooting in sparse cover seems to be better while a conventional higher profile blind tends to flare birds.

I layout shoot in one jet sled, while my lab is watching about 50 yards behind me in the willows.
Its easy to teach the labs to be steady starting with the same sled as puppies at home.
jetsled2.JPG

Jet sleds are great for putting out and picking up dekes, teaching the lab his "place", hauling gear up to duck camp,
butchering moose, and catching dropped parts while working on the outboard.
sled_mooseantlers (800x425).jpg

Float a couple dozen decoys in a mesh bag behind the kayak. Blind bag and gun in the hull between your legs. Throw in a machete to cut some natural vegetation to throw on a camo cover once you find a spot to set up. Kayaks will allow you to access some pretty skinny/shallow water that boat hunters can't get to and other hunters wont walk to from shore due to distance. They are pretty useful tools for a small water hunter

I picked up this used 16' kayak this year for $400 on classifieds, it's a Wayak brand. A little heavy for one person but I'm able to horse it around when needed, 2 people is ideal.

I bought it to get out on the water, set up & hunt from shore, then I ditch it downstream then use it to retrieve the ducks after they hit the water (no dog). I've got a trolling motor on it right now, and need to pick up a kayak paddle so not sure how it is w/1 person, my first season using it. I plan on patching it up and repainting it this winter, so far it's been great. Just a little longer and little heavier than I wanted, was looking for a 10'-12' footer, but I had a budget I wanted to stick to and this came along.

kayak.jpg

My kayak is a Wilderness Systems Ride 115X. It's the angler edition so it has a spot to mount a fishfinder. I mainly bought it to fish out of but I also use it to hunt waterfowl. I would be exaggerating if I called it a game changer but it has definitely allowed me to set up closer to the "X" when duck hunting. Last year I hunted an area of a marsh that did not have any cattails so I pulled up next to a muskrat hut and pulled some smartweed over the kayak and was able to take three gadwall. Bass Pro makes a blind for their Ascend kayaks, it fits two or three models, built like a layout blind, that I bought. The kayaks that it is made for are 12' models so I thought I would give it a shot and was able to adjust it to fit my kayak. The public marshes around here are all random draw and solo hunters draw last so most of the premium spots are taken and it helps me have success in units that other guys won't go. It also allows me to set up on the outer edge of cover so when the birds want to land in open water. I don't have a pic of it in use but the pic below was right before season this year with a base layer of cattails.
View attachment 124931

JDH I love the way you've got that hanging in the garage, thanks for the idea!!

I have a Hobie Revolution, but I keep it at the parents' house where there is big water. I have thought it would be great to cruise up river and try to get the jump on a few ducks with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back