Solo Hunter - Season 10

Brian in Montana

I've watched every episode of Fresh Tracks, On You Own Adventures, and Solo Hunter while I do my morning treadmill routine. I really can't stand most hunting shows but these, along with Meateater are the good ones, IMO.

I've always had a deep respect for what they do on Solo Hunter, and Tim and Remi have always struck me as very sincere and ethical, I even know Boyd and his family a little, our kids go to the same school. So in episode 6, I think, season 10, Tim Burnett is hunting on Kodiak Island with a guy named Austin Manelick. Anybody seen this?

I ask because I'm a little surprised by what's been put on the show. At one point Manelick is lining up on a Sitka Blacktail, the deer is browsing around and from the camera angle appears to turn completely away and Austin seems to shoot it in rear ( he also took a follow-up shot that wasn't on camera) I was surprised, but thought maybe the shooter had a little different angle and it wasn't exactly how it looked? So then, not long after, he has another one standing broadside, but with a doe clearly bedded in front of the buck, again the camera angle could be a little different, but it seems the doe's head almost in the line of the fire - close enough that I'd think most hunters would see on the side of caution. I thought, surely he's going to let that buck take a few steps and clear the doe. Nope, he took the shot.

I get that everyone has their own different ethics and abilities, but I sure found myself with a bad taste in my mouth because of this guy and it just didn't seem like the usual Solo Hunter stuff. I found everything he did after those shots to be irritating, like when Tim was processing a caribou he'd shot and Austin said something like, "You took off a whole day of hunting just to deal with meat?". Then he was trying to hunt in a Chewbacca suit - how cleaver and cute.

I don't know, I try not to be judgmental, but this guy's actions rubbed me the wrong way. I googled his name, I'd never heard of him before, looks like he's from some "extreme Alaska survival" show of some kind.

Did they shoot a dall ram in this episode? If so they daylighted a bullet on that shot. Breaks the golden rule of having a backstop for your bullet

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back