Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Solid Entry Level Crossbow

WYelker

So my son just turned age 12 he is a great shot with his bow, but is a tall skinny kid. Right now he is pulling around 30 pounds. For archery he needs to be pulling 50 for elk. I am not sure if he can make it, so I am considering getting crossbow. It would only be a 1 year for him deal as after that he will be strong enough. My daughter also hunts as does my wife. With that being said I think having a crossbow as a backup for the family is a good idea incase we have an equipment issue or shoulder injury etc...

I am not a fan at all of crossbows for archery season but since it is a tool we can use and it might make the difference between getting my son out in the fall or not, we are looking for a good entry level setup.

It is unreal how expensive some of them are... Also something available from Cabelas or Basspro is better as we have a pile of points to use...

Good cross bows can be heavy compared to compound bows. I would look for one that is carbon composite versus metal. I shot several before picked mine, a Killer Instinct, Speed 425 which is a good cross bow but on heavy side. For a juvenile learning to shoot big game, I would recommend Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 which is a quite a bit lighter than mine. I almost bought the Excaliber but selected the Killer Instinct based on durability. Mine with the arrows and that attached weighs about 9 pounds. Anyone you get, have him shoot several hundred shots before hunting to build up confidence and build up his strength a bit. I am planning hours of shooting time in the field myself to get my ownself ready.

Good cross bows can be heavy compared to compound bows. I would look for one that is carbon composite versus metal. I shot several before picked mine, a Killer Instinct, Speed 425 which is a good cross bow but on heavy side. For a juvenile learning to shoot big game, I would recommend Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 which is a quite a bit lighter than mine. I almost bought the Excaliber but selected the Killer Instinct based on durability. Mine with the arrows and that attached weighs about 9 pounds. Anyone you get, have him shoot several hundred shots before hunting to build up confidence and build up his strength a bit. I am planning hours of shooting time in the field myself to get my ownself ready.
Good advice. I am trying to keep him around 6 pounds as that is the weight of his 243 that he has been using for the last couple years. I like the Excaliburs with the recurve design as they seem less complicated and potentially easier to service at home. We will get in a lot of shooting. Currently we shoot air rifle and archery on Monday. 22 on Wednesday, and we have an archery range in our back yard and once it warms up we usually shoot an additional 3 hours a week archery.

Kids gain strenth faster than you realize. I grew up on a farm and by time I was 9 I was throwing 60 pound hay bales up on a flatbed truck and stacking them with my dad and uncle. We stacked them by hand up until my uncle invested in one of those tractors that did it for you. Now I am not sure I can throw a 30 pound bale let alone the size they bale them upto now.

I shot my dad's ole 10 gauge at a milk jug (and hit it) but landed flat on my ass on a mexican sand burr patch. Heavy some beech. However, I shot it several more times until I got to where I could shoot it standing and not be knocked on my butt. Spent the rest of the day with help of my mom picking thorns and slivers out of my legs and butt. But seriously, repitition is key and your son will be ready for the adult size cross bows and compound bows faster than you realize.

Kids gain strenth faster than you realize. I grew up on a farm and by time I was 9 I was throwing 60 pound hay bales up on a flatbed truck and stacking them with my dad and uncle. We stacked them by hand up until my uncle invested in one of those tractors that did it for you. Now I am not sure I can throw a 30 pound bale let alone the size they bale them upto now.

I shot my dad's ole 10 gauge at a milk jug (and hit it) but landed flat on my ass on a mexican sand burr patch. Heavy some beech. However, I shot it several more times until I got to where I could shoot it standing and not be knocked on my butt. Spent the rest of the day with help of my mom picking thorns and slivers out of my legs and butt. But seriously, repitition is key and your son will be ready for the adult size cross bows and compound bows faster than you realize.
Yeah he has a Mathews mission craze II bow. The bow is awesome we are slowly stepping up his poundage. I think he will make it, but making a contingency plan just incase and given the world we live in the last thing I want is to be in August trying to figure it out.

Yeah he has a Mathews mission craze II bow. The bow is awesome we are slowly stepping up his poundage. I think he will make it, but making a contingency plan just incase and given the world we live in the last thing I want is to be in August trying to figure it out.
I hear you there. I need to shoot my crossbow many times before hunting myself and make sure I can handle it especially considering the weight of the thing. Pull weight on it is set at 125 right now. I need to see how long I can handle shooting it before I get sore or tired.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I bought a centerpoint sniper 370 for around $280 on amazon. I just checked and the bow is now 100 more. I have been impressed by the build quality.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I bought a centerpoint sniper 370 for around $280 on amazon. I just checked and the bow is now 100 more. I have been impressed by the build quality.
I bought a centerpoint sniper 370 a few years back to. Didn't want to dump a bunch of money on something I was only going use for a season. Absoultely no complaints about it. My buddy has a Ravin. he spent around $2k on it. There are differences between the two, but not $1750 worth of differences.

Excalibur Crossbows has a forum with a classified section. Really good buy on a Matrix 330 with everything you need for $375.00. Great rig for Whitetails ! My wife, several friends, and I have the Matrix series rigs.

I got a wicked ridge invader for the purpose you describe. I have been impressed with it. My boys are on the edge of pulling 50 and my wife is having shoulder issues. It's nice to have for somebody who needs to use one. Wicked accurate 🤣

My local archery shop pushes Mission Xbows, but if you want something cheaper they tell you to get a killer instinct, they say that has a way better trigger then it should for the price point.

This older Ten Point has been downing deer for me since 2008. It's a keeper! This hunt took place in northern Maryland where deer are abundant and hunters are few. - TRdeer X 2.JPG

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back