Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Soft Shell Turtle Sauce Piquante

JTHOMP

I caught this big soft shell with the luckiest shot I ever made. It was the first time bow fishing out of my boat after I got my lights rigged up. My ex and a buddy of mine took it out for a trial run. Water was really muddy but it was mostly to see the lights work. I let them shoot most of the night and happily drove the boat. My buddy said it was time for me to give it a go so we traded. My first shot was at a small gar and was a clean miss. I started to pull the arrow from the mud but it wasn’t budging. I thought it had stuck in a log. Pulled hard enough and it eventually started to move and I thought I was dragging a log to the boat. Got near the end of line and was surprised to see a big soft shell hit on the edge of the leg. He wasn’t happy but he was going in the boat. I haven’t seen a tremendous amount of softies but it was by far the biggest.

That was two years ago. I kept saying I was going to cook it for a special occasion, but it was now the oldest thing in my freezer so cooking it tonight. Thankful for good vacuum bags that’s for sure.

Using Hank Shaw’s recipe

It called for diced pieces of turtle and I put whole quarters. Looking at it now I think it needs more meat for a better proportion so I’ll add some fish in the last hour or so and let that cook with it. Let see how it turns out.
545EBEAC-C7B3-4EEB-956F-1C3706D837E2.jpeg

Perfect color on the gravy and you can never have too much gravy! Sauce piquante is one of my favorite dishes. Never did like turtle. Too gritty but I haven't eaten softshell. Chicken and tasso is my preferred protein for sauce piquante.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back