Caribou Gear Tarp

Soft feet?

Irrelevant

So my poor pup went hard for a couple of days two weeks ago, tore his feet up pretty bad, then tried booties today, but course they fell off in the first 30 minutes and I didn't find them. The next hour tore them up even worse. It's not his pads, but the skin around them, both front and backside of his paws.

20220130_193112.jpg

I will say all they hunts were in crusty snow over sharp broken basalt, but our previous dog never had any issues. Does he just have soft skin, or do you think he'll grow out of it? Anything I should be doing differently?

Ever try that spray on pad toughener? My buddy uses it on his Britt, also sprays on some bitter apple so she won’t lick them🤷🏻‍♂️
No, because the issue seems to be in the hair covered areas for the most part. Maybe it's still worth a try.

Yeah I was just thinking it might coat the skin in general not just the pads, odd that’s so irritated that far up but very well could have been that crusty snow/ice

Look for fleece booties, I've had good luck with them over the years. Elastic and velcro around the top, they stay on pretty well. Lots if places sell them here, cheap. Im sure you could find them on line. Maybe Alaska Mill and Feed. They like $15 a set.They stay on sled dogs pretty well but they aren't in the brush too much. I've had decent luck with them on my dogs. I do use them often, only when it's crusty or really cold.

Last edited:
When I lived on the west side of Washington where things seem damp all the time, I used the Tuf-Foot stuff on my lab. It isn’t exclusive to toughening up pads, so might be worth a shot.

I am not a fan of spray on pad products like tuff foot as they contain things like acetone and ETOH which act as chemical abrasives. Do they work…yes especially if they are applied regularly for extended periods of time. However They are particularly harsh, especially on feet that are already sore.

What I like the best is mushers secret. You will be able to coat the hair as well as the pads and it will help keep ice from sticking to the hair. I would apply it before and after I run my hounds when they are on granular snow and ice.

I am not a fan of spray on pad products like tuff foot as they contain things like acetone and ETOH which act as chemical abrasives. Do they work…yes especially if they are applied regularly for extended periods of time. However They are particularly harsh, especially on feet that are already sore.

What I like the best is mushers secret. You will be able to coat the hair as well as the pads and it will help keep ice from sticking to the hair. I would apply it before and after I run my hounds when they are on granular snow and ice.
I have some but I'd always thought it was more to keep there pads from cracking and to prevent ice build up. Neither of which were problems but does it do more than that?

I have some but I'd always thought it was more to keep there pads from cracking and to prevent ice build up. Neither of which were problems but does it do more than that?
I pack it in between the pads as well. From the picture it looks like ice/ debris is getting in between the pads. It should help prevent that a bit

dogbooties.com i like the 1000 denier cordura ones the best. at $3 piece they are cheap, last a while and easy to swallow the price of buying some extras.

haven't tried the 500's but fleece picked up a bunch of burdocks where we were running.

they are held on by elastic velcro, pull them tight and go.

dogbooties.com i like the 1000 denier cordura ones the best. at $3 piece they are cheap, last a while and easy to swallow the price of buying some extras.

haven't tried the 500's but fleece picked up a bunch of burdocks where we were running.

they are held on by elastic velcro, pull them tight and go.
Those are what I was using

I will say all they hunts were in crusty snow over sharp broken basalt, but our previous dog never had any issues. Does he just have soft skin, or do you think he'll grow out of it? Anything I should be doing differently?
My last Female and current male Brit (both small-statured - 25/35 lb max weight respectively) have/had similar issues in crusty snow. The new guy mostly presents on his belly below and around the chest protector - female was in the exact same spots on her paws and legs as your pics. We tried the same thing (boots) with the same result (lost boots, swearing about lost boots, repeat). I taped them on once and she ran about 20 yards and laid down to chew the tape off then popped up and lost those boots, too.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but the only 'cure' was to stop hunting them more than a short-ish day in those conditions. I don't love that option, but similar to my wife refusing to go sit in the raft for 8 hours when it's 35 and spitting snow (with BWO's hatching like a plague), it was a concession I had to make. The dogs and the wife are both way the hell above me on the totem pole.

Disclaimer: I am at best a mediocre amateur dog trainer

if you have more, pull them tighter, i pull them pretty tight to keep them on and no complaints from the dogs once we're moving
Man I just feel like I tightened them about as much as I could, but I'll pick up some more and try again. I like the idea of a little bit of stretch in the closure on top so I might try a couple different ones. But honestly, season ended sunday, so I'll probably forget all about this thread by next Dec.

My last Female and current male Brit (both small-statured - 25/35 lb max weight respectively) have/had similar issues in crusty snow. The new guy mostly presents on his belly below and around the chest protector - female was in the exact same spots on her paws and legs as your pics. We tried the same thing (boots) with the same result (lost boots, swearing about lost boots, repeat). I taped them on once and she ran about 20 yards and laid down to chew the tape off then popped up and lost those boots, too.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but the only 'cure' was to stop hunting them more than a short-ish day in those conditions. I don't love that option, but similar to my wife refusing to go sit in the raft for 8 hours when it's 35 and spitting snow (with BWO's hatching like a plague), it was a concession I had to make. The dogs and the wife are both way the hell above me on the totem pole.

Disclaimer: I am at best a mediocre amateur dog trainer
We had that damn crusty snow all of January, so it was either the pup doesn't get to hunt the best month or his feet pay the price. I'm hoping the skin will toughen up. My GSP never had issues.

We had that damn crusty snow all of January, so it was either the pup doesn't get to hunt the best month or his feet pay the price. I'm hoping the skin will toughen up. My GSP never had issues.
Yeah - I should have qualified that in my case - crusty snow is only a pervasive issue at the (effective) end of blue grouse season and the end of pheasant season, generally not the prime of either, and in the latter case, no sharp rocks and stumps under the snow as co-variables. So easier to let it go or at least slow down.

I have wondered about this stuff on hair, though. Might try it next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back