Sod Cloth?

VikingsGuy

Just bought a new Davis tent (really great guys!), my first time with a wall tent. They mentioned a "sod cloth" that runs 12" inside the tent circumfrence that helps keep wind/rain/snow/bugs/mice out of the tent. We have the full detached floor with zip out, so sounds like we will lay the sod cloth down first and then overlay the floor. It also sounds like we are supposed to either layover dirt on top of sod cloth, but under the floor; or actual dig a small trench around the inside wall of the tent, lay the sod cloth down in the trench and then backfill the dirt on top of the sod cloth and then top with the floor.

This seems like an awful lot of extra work/mess/hassle, do you guys do this? If so, which approach do you use? If not, do you have problems with stuff/wind coming in under a loose sod cloth? I seems like having the floor overlapping could be enough, but we have never done this. If it matters we got the 16x20 as we will have between 3-7 folks in camp.

I pull it in under the legs of the tent so that the legs hold it down. It does tend to get a little brittle when it's real cold out.

Yep , like stated above then the floor is over the sod cloth. If needed dig a trench along the outside of the tent to funnel water away from it. We do that if we're going to get a good rain or snow melt off.
Davis is a great company to work with. I would consider a tent pole bag too. It will keep them clean during transport and help protect your tent . We use a giant canvas game bag right now. Don't want a lot of mud or grit on the poles when you set it up. For really cold weather we hang some 5x15' canvas drop cloths along the inside walls, keeps the cold out.

Firewood or rocks on the sod cloth to hold it down. If you dig a trench and it rains you will have a muddy mess to deal with. If it get cold enough, you tent will be frozen to the ground.

The trench funnels the water away from the tent so no muddy mess, never had ours freeze to the ground and we've been in it well below zero.

The trench funnels the water away from the tent so no muddy mess, never had ours freeze to the ground and we've been in it well below zero.
I was referring to the OP’s plan of digging a trench, placing sod cloth in the trench and then back filling. Sorry for the confusion.

Firewood, table legs, cot legs...anything to help hold it down. I have never heard of anyone actually putting sod (or dirt) on the sod cloth, but maybe if you were planning to stay a long time??

I have had my Davis tent for about 15 years now, and I still love it. Great guys and easy to work with.

Back