Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

So I Shot A Pig...

emrah1028

Well, after my entire deer season was reduced to a whopping 2.5 days (without success), I was able to do a pig hunt yesterday. Yes, it was guided on a private ranch, and I connected on a nice hog.

I live in MN, but work for a race team and we travel more than I'd like. Seems we're always in Florida but I've never had a chance to head off for the day and get a hunt in. I came down here over Christmas with my family to visit some friends and my buddy and I went out for a day trying our luck on wild hogs in a local WMA, but we were unlucky.

Fast forward to yesterday. I headed to Outwest Farms near Okeechobee, FL. Went on a meat hog hunt and after riding around in a swamp buggy around (and over) the ranch, I spotted a nice porker. We got within 40 yards and I took my first shot.... It went running. I hit it again on the run (not easy in a moving buggy and running pig), and hit it again in the lungs. And it kept running...

He holed up in a palmetto thicket, so we jumped down and went after it in calf-deep muck. The guide (his name was Bitt) released one of his dogs to go push it out. It came trotting out after a while, turned toward me and snorted. I put one last bullet in his head from about 20 yards away and it finally went down. Those @#$#ers are tough!

Finally dragged him to the buggy and brought him to the ranch to skin and quarter him (the guide uses the gutless method).

So no, it wasn't totally a DIY/OYOA deal, but it was about as free-roaming as it gets on a 200 acre property. They don't bait and it's not over a feeder, so I feel good about the hunt and bringing home some bacon. Well, more like to the hotel in Jupiter. We don't go home for a few days, so the meat's in a cooler with dry ice.

Hopefully, I'll have more time to hunt back home in MN this year, but our schedule is just as crazy as it was last year.

The price was $175 (meat hog (tusks under 2")), $30 for skinning/quartering, and I tipped him $30. All in all, I'm really happy to have pulled the trigger on something.

Emrah

P.S. I used my 30-30 with lead bullets I cast and handloaded myself.

Attachments

• buggy.jpg
    buggy.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 344
  • field.jpg
    field.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 342
  • pig1.jpg
    pig1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 345
  • pig2.jpg
    pig2.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 345
Love hunting them! Great eating and fun to chase. Congrats!

Well done! When the wife tells me we have to do the Disney thing, I plan on working in a day or so of that and/or alligator hunting. I'm betting you'll like how it eats.

Fine swine there!

I have been wanting to do a hog hunt...open to anyones recommendations on where to go for a decent, reasonably priced hunt within range of MO for long weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

Fine swine there!

I have been wanting to do a hog hunt...open to anyones recommendations on where to go for a decent, reasonably priced hunt within range of MO for long weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would be glad to draw some X's on the map for you.
I've killed around 1000 LBS. of feral hogs since October,the vast majority on public land. I almost never target hogs but I kill all that I can whenever I cross paths with them deer or turkey hunting.
Just to be clear, this is just like any other public ground hunt,success or failure would depend on time in the field,effort,and a little luck.
This offer is open to any of you who have wanted to give hog hunting a shot in the off season but for whatever reason don't really want to go on a guided hunt.

Just an FYI regarding hunting in Florida: As far as cost/bang for the buck is concerned, I don't think it can be beat as far as out-of-state hunts go.

Wild hogs can be killed on private land any time throughout the year, no limit. No license necessary.

Hogs can be killed on one of the dozens (like in many dozens) of WMA's located all throughout the state, but there are seasons. Most close Jan 1 for that kind of hunting. However, licenses and fees are incredibly cheap

As a non-resident, a 10-day hunting license is about $46. Yearly non-resident license is $151 I believe. A year-long WMA access permit is $26. Then you pay the weapon fee (for whatever is allowed in that particular season) of $5. Gun? $5. Muzzleloader? $5. Archery? $5. Etc... Deer tags are also $5. Yep. $5.

So, if I guy were to take a long weekend or week long vacation down here (in "normal" hunting season of, say, August through the end of Dec.), you could get away with a 10-day license, WMA access (to any WMA), weapon permit, deer tag and unlimited wild hog for UNDER $90. You just can't beat that.

Emrah

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back