Snow blower suggestions

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

We will be making the move to Idaho in November so I am looking for snow blower suggestions.

Growing up I was the snow blower so I have very little experience..😁

The plan is to use a walk behind for everything the first year and then have a plow for the big areas next year.

I have been looking at 2 stage wheel propelled models and would like to stay under 2k.

Thanks.

Two stage for sure. don't bother even thinking about a single stage, useless

I'm cheap so I went used from the 80's hahaha , but I'm also handy enough to clean carbs when they gum up.

After two stage it's a lot of bells and whistles you can pay for. electric start would be nice, but a can of ether does the trick too

Get one with tracks instead of wheels. The track models allow you to put down pressure on the front cutting edge and augers. The wheel models just want to climb over hard pack snow. I know people that have bought a brand new wheel model then came over and tried my 20 year old track model Honda. They can't believe the difference. You point a track model at some thing and it just eats it. No fighting for control of direction or down force with tracks. The two people that bought the new wheel model both sold them the next year and bought Honda track models the next year. Best decisions in their life's they said and thanked me for showing them a blower that is faster cutting and easier to control.

Front PTO on the tractor is the way to go; some mornings it’s best just to go back to bed.

Attachments

• FC7F188F-BF7A-4C40-9C45-A653D38E7B74.jpeg
    FC7F188F-BF7A-4C40-9C45-A653D38E7B74.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • D567B246-8E20-4416-B52D-8C4C90B621C8.jpeg
    D567B246-8E20-4416-B52D-8C4C90B621C8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
X2 on the advice to not get a single-stage.

Used to have one at our old house, not much better than shoveling. We had an awesome neighbor though who would help me out when the snow was too deep- after a time or two, we bought him a case of beer as a token of our appreciation.

From that point on, if we had 1/2” of snow or more I would have to take care of it before the sun came up or he would be out there taking care of his driveway AND ours. He was a great neighbor and sure loved beer, still run into him around town.:D

Sandpoint snow..😁. My friend didn’t care for the track model because of turning but he lives in a subdivision.

We will be getting a blade for either a tractor or our old beater pickup.

I figured get there and see what we will need and then make a big purchase.

I have spent the last 25 years in N.C. so this will definitely be a change...but so will those beautiful summers.

Thanks for the suggestions

My ariens is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Still runs like a top after 12 years and chews through snow fast enough to help out the neighbors.

I live in Phoenix, its a record 115 Today . Can You tell me what a Snow blower is? LOL . Just kidding, Been here since 1977 ,Grew up on Lake Erie, in Erie PA. Left at age 21 when I was old enough to know better. Thats how we made $ as a Kid shoveling Snow. Down here we get it if we want it, Just go 2 hours north to Flagstaff , no need to live in it. Especially now at retirement. I will be 64 Tommorrow the 6th. Good luck this Winter You guys up in the Tundra!.....................BOB

Last edited:
Get one with tracks instead of wheels. The track models allow you to put down pressure on the front cutting edge and augers. The wheel models just want to climb over hard pack snow. I know people that have bought a brand new wheel model then came over and tried my 20 year old track model Honda. They can't believe the difference. You point a track model at some thing and it just eats it. No fighting for control of direction or down force with tracks. The two people that bought the new wheel model both sold them the next year and bought Honda track models the next year. Best decisions in their life's they said and thanked me for showing them a blower that is faster cutting and easier to control.

I second this! I bought a tracked Yamaha snowblower on the advice of Huronmountains in 1988. It’s still running strong, effortless to operate and can outright blow snow over the power lines.

I just bought a Mossimo ATV attached blower from Costco, we will see how it handles western Wyoming snow here soon I’m sure

Back