Snip snip questions

RyeGuy74

I'm considering getting my dog neutered as I am not a breeder but have some questions for more experienced bird dog owners. For example, does it cause any major hiccups in training? Is there a chance my dog could lose all his bird-drive? Those are just a few questions I have but all info regarding anything else that comes, or may come, along with neutering would be greatly appreciated! If it's breed specific, I have a ECS! Thanks in advance!

I'm considering getting my dog neutered as I am not a breeder but have some questions for more experienced bird dog owners. For example, does it cause any major hiccups in training? Is there a chance my dog could lose all his bird-drive? Those are just a few questions I have but all info regarding anything else that comes, or may come, along with neutering would be greatly appreciated! If it's breed specific, I have a ECS! Thanks in advance!
Few months ago I got my chocolate lab neutered at age of three years. Hasn’t seem to affected him at all I just have to be more careful with food levels as he seems to actually gain weight now

I’d make the decision based on physiological reasons. I can’t imagine it’s going to affect training.

I've seen dogs become more biddable with being neutered. I've not seen them loose the prey drive. What I would caution on is doing it too early. There is a lot of studies being done that are showing waiting until 2yo is a good move, moving up and down depending on the size of the dog. There are also studies showing increased health issues for spaying/neutering. If you don't have females around and aren't seeing behavioral/dominance issues, you might want to think about not doing it.

406 nailed it. Unless there are females present and he is having issues with dominance or aggressiveness with other males, it can help.
I would 100% say waiting until 2 years is best. Also, consulting with your vet is a good idea as well.
They're probably more educated than a buncha online yokels anyways. 😂

Lots to be said for not neutering - that testosterone is there for more than making swimmers. Think about us old guys and low T - and most of us still have our dangly bits. Much evidence that joint health, healing, and more are better when all the equipment is there. Consider maybe a doggie vasectomy?

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about a different snip snip... I'll see my way out.

I try to make a year and a half but usually call the vet at 10-12 months when they lift their legs at work or in the house and that's that. Agree with the biddable comment, they won't lose their drive.

Removing the testicles from a male dog will remove the associated hormones, and will have an affect on their behavior and personality. It won't ruin a good hunting dog, but they can become more prone to laziness, weight gain, and timidness. Plus side is they could become less of an asshole, if you deal with that. I have had several breeders and vets tell me that for what my dogs do, neutering is not recommended. I generally leave my males unaltered and have had several excellent hunting dogs.

If we're talking about backyard pets whose sole purpose in life is to just make mom and dad smile, neutering would probably be fine.

I think a much better option for a hunting dog is to consider a doggie vasectomy. We are getting a female in July, and even though both dogs are from high quality working lines, we don't want any woopsies. So my current chocolate lab will be getting one in June. They are gaining in popularity, and more and more vets are starting to use them as a way to sterilize male dogs and maintain their current level of hormones. You may have to do some digging to find a vet to perform a vasectomy, but I was able to locate one with the below document. The cost is more, but still very affordable at $315.

If you do decide to neuter, I would highly recommend waiting until they are at least 18-24months old. Neutering to early has been proven to lead to several developmental issues.

i don't think you'll lose anything except your dog's testicles, a bit of $$, and the risk of a future dog or neighbor dog getting knocked up

cockers are small breed so waiting until 2 probably isn't necessary, it will reduce the risks of cancer to some extent, it will make them easier to get fat (which is probably what makes t hem lazy, not the the get lazy so then get fat) so just have to watch the diet, schedule a time to chat with your vet write down a list of your concerns/questions but I don't think his hunt will change at all if he has bird drive he will still have bird drive, only thing I would say is wait until after hunting season so you don't get tempted to run him too soon after the surgery and then be down a bit longer

I've raised a lot of dogs and all have been neutered or spayed. Thing to do is wait until they are at least 2 years old. Prey drive will be established and they need to keep the testosterone/hormones to build their bodies until then. Basically allowing them to get through puberty and developed before taking it away. I haven't seen much change in a male's dominance or aggression. I think there are a lot of medical benefits that go along with getting them snipped as well. I currently have a female that has shown more aggression towards other dogs since being spayed but that was a first for me and can't confirm that the spaying had anything to do with it.

Removing the testicles from a male dog will remove the associated hormones, and will have an affect on their behavior and personality. It won't ruin a good hunting dog, but they can become more prone to laziness, weight gain, and timidness. Plus side is they could become less of an asshole, if you deal with that. I have had several breeders and vets tell me that for what my dogs do, neutering is not recommended. I generally leave my males unaltered and have had several excellent hunting dogs.

If we're talking about backyard pets whose sole purpose in life is to just make mom and dad smile, neutering would probably be fine.

I think a much better option for a hunting dog is to consider a doggie vasectomy. We are getting a female in July, and even though both dogs are from high quality working lines, we don't want any woopsies. So my current chocolate lab will be getting one in June. They are gaining in popularity, and more and more vets are starting to use them as a way to sterilize male dogs and maintain their current level of hormones. You may have to do some digging to find a vet to perform a vasectomy, but I was able to locate one with the below document. The cost is more, but still very affordable at $315.

If you do decide to neuter, I would highly recommend waiting until they are at least 18-24months old. Neutering to early has been proven to lead to several developmental issues.
We did ovary sparing spay for our female Airedale. She still has a bit of a heat, gets grouchy around the two males, but leaving the ovaries in keeps those hormones doing what they are supposed to do.

Doggie vasectomy was what we wanted to do for our male Airedale, but when the female was in heat it just about killed him (and us). He was not going to be bred, but I would have preferred to keep him intact. We just have too small a place here in town and couldn't keep them separate.

And I completely agree (as though I am a vet and not an engineer) that delaying the neutering until the dog is mature is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back