SMOKER: electric or propane

Electric will always give a great finished product because consistency in temp is the key to smoking. But let's be honest. If you don't like collecting your favorite wood, tending a fire, standing in the yard with a beer, then what are you really doing?

Consistency within margin of error of +/- 25 degrees, depending on the cut being smoked 😁

Everyone I know have electric smokers. I plan to get one as soon as I finish building out my garage brewery. Too many toys.

I had a Big mastercraft. It was propane. We used it at camp where we had no electric. If I was going to use it at home I would go with electric. Ours did good so long as you kept it out of the wind.

+1 on electric for getting started. I've had an electric MasterBuilt for a few years and never had an issue delivering a quality dinner out of it. Temperature control and convenience are top notch. Getting true smoke penetration into the meat is where it comes up short, but after you get the basics you can upgrade if you find that to be a problem. Also re: smoking at low temperatures they have an attachment that allows you to "cold smoke" which a friend invested in and it works well.

Also second the comment about staying away from the glass door. After a couple runs you won't be able to see through the glass due to creosote build up anyways. (Unless you want to be constantly cleaning your smoker....)

I do all my smoking in a ceramic kamodo. Real wood charcoal and chunks of wood for the smoke. I have a friend at work who has an electric smoker he loves, but i think mine gives a better smoke.

🍻

I have a propane, but friends have electric and they love it as its a set and walk away type of situation. The propane burner needs to stay clean (from rust or spider webs or any debris) otherwise it'll burn rich and ruin all of your meat. Mine is rusting through now, so i was originally thinking of going pellet grill but also am thinking of a electric smoker...

Back