Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Small Game Processing Time Question

cd5226

I mostly hunt the Uinta mountains in Utah, where elevation ranges from 8000 to 12000+, keeping temperatures between sub-freezing and 80s during hunting season. Typically, how long should I wait before getting the meat off small game (rabbit, grouse, ect...) in the field? I assume this will vary based on ambient temperatures but I want to be safe. Secondly, how do you store the meat while you continue hunting/hiking? I usually come across grouse during my big game hunts and I always wonder if shooting one (say in the morning), would require me to get it back to the truck/cooler before being able to resume my big game hunt. What do you guys recommend?

Cook it for lunch.

Another option is to gut it, and stuff a handful of dry grass in the cavity to air out and dry out, strap to outside of pack.

If it’s cold and snowy I’ll gut and skin, and clean blood off carcass with powdery snow.

Another option is just cut the flesh out, cool it in the shade for 30 mins, then pack in your pack in a small game bag (like a camp meat game bag).

No set time on how long it lasts - all depends on temp and humidity

I agree with ElkFever2, temp and humidity are big factors that influence rot. Humidity is not an issue in your neck of the woods (I used to live out there), so it's just a matter of doing what you can to get your meat cool. It'll honestly last WAY longer than you think as long as you can keep it cool, dry, and clean (keep the flies and dirt off).

Personally, I skin and gut things pretty quickly (within the hour of death) and I have a cooler that I keep full of frozen milk-jugs in the truck. On rabbits I'd say that is right since they have so much gut/heat that could spoil the meat. Squirrels could go a lot lot longer left ungutted because they have less thermal mass, but again the sooner you get it done, the better your meat is going to be. I carry a big set of aviation shears in my kit (game shears are terrible in my opinion); between that and a sharp knife you can break down any small critter into parts right in the field. This breakdown means things cool faster too.

If in doubt do the sniff test. Cut away offending meat.

Thank you guys, I appreciate the info. Sometimes I get stuck looking for elk quite a ways from the truck and won't get back until nightfall. Your tips will be super useful

Squirrels I have gutted in the morning, rinsed in swamp water, and put in a cooler in the evening. Temps were 60s to 70s. Skinned and froze the following day. Never had any spoilage

I've carried grouse and rabbits all day in some pretty hot conditions. I skin and gut them out and put them in a bag in the top pocket of my pack. They will cool much faster than a bone-in elk quarter.

60 degrees and down, I would carry them whole until I got home. Above that I will generally clean them as soon as they hit the ground. Carry a cooler bag with some ziplocs and a freezer cube on the hot days. Not much extra weight and you can clean critters and throw them in cooler right away.

Thank you all for all this info, I am less worried about spoilage now, and the small cooler bag sounds like a great option

For all it's worth I have heard about people hanging pheasant outside, feathers and all, for a week before preparing it to eat. Supposed to make it better somehow.

I have killed hundreds, more likely a over a thousand, of rabbits and hares with my hounds. I have done everything from skinning an gutting minutes after the shot to cleaning a whole mess at the end of the day. Honestly i have never noticed any difference with the meat. I do know that warm birds or rabbit are way easier to puck or skin. I would carry a 3Gallon zip lock bag in vest, skin and gut the rabbit, hang everything in a tree on a bush top and then put the carcasses in the zip lock bag to keep my vest clean. Have done the same way with grouse as well.

For all it's worth I have heard about people hanging pheasant outside, feathers and all, for a week before preparing it to eat. Supposed to make it better somehow.
This was my first year hunting Pheasant and i did that. I tried some that i cleaned same everything when i got home and some i let hanging in the garden shed for 4-6 days( guts in, exactly as i shot them). With outside temps 30F up to 55F. Seems like its True-it does Make them taste little better and less tough.

Carried small game all day below 70, just gutted them before I put them in my bag.

Meeting a game warden with a grouse that still doesn’t have a wing attached and no wanton waste as they describe it, means you need to keep the bird almost intact until you get home.

Without meeting the game warden you could carry quart size zip lock bags, bone them out and put the meat in the zip lock.

Grouse will tolerate a lot of poor handling and still be good eating.

I read something from meateater that because rabbit's have grass in their stomach they sour quickly so they say to gut them out right away.

How many pictures do you see of birds lines up on a tailgate that haven't been dressed out. I think birds are good.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back