Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Slip in truck camper vs pull behind camper

chevyman181

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any input on a slip in truck camper vs a pull behind. My wife and I road trip a bit and camp a lot throughout the year. We are thinking of changing up our set up. We currently have a shelf build in the bed of our current truck (Ram 2500 8ft bed) that we sleep on and store our gear under. We are thinking of upgrading to something more comfortable. We are wondering how much a camper will effect fuel cost and how much it might limit our travel.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've also had both. I found hunting with a pickup camper was okay but didn't like the climb up into it. Also required pulling it off if scouting rough country and getting them on and off can be a real pain. As mentioned above, I don't think a 19' camper trailer uses much if any more gas but the extra room is nice. For example, the propane tanks for trailer are on the tongue while pickup camper has to make room for tank inside. Tandem axel is important. Makes pulling and parking much nicer.

I used to camp out of the back my truck, and still do at times. But I REALLY like having the amenities of my 28' Bunkhouse. Bathroom in the back doubles as a mudroom for boots. Can sleep 6 so all the buddies are comfy too. Flip a switch for heat and cooking. Full fridge and freezer. I'm fully off grid, but during the winter I appreciate RV parks.

The two negatives: price (which for me is mitigated by not being in hotels and renting it out) and some limitations on where you can take it. But the above out weighs the rest.

Largest negative of the bed camper is having to remove it for most hunting needs. That's a huge pain compared to just dropping the pull behind camper.

Another consideration is the duty of your truck. Most bed campers will be well over the payload capacity of a 1500 pickup, not to mention if you have gear and or an animal in the back too.

I went back and forth between the two, ended on a a small 19' pull behind.

My 19' 1988 Terry trailer has all the amenities: furnace, fridge/freezer (the freezer is big enough to hold nine roosters), range/oven, separate bathroom with tub/shower, could sleep five but comfortable with two of us and two dogs. For just two people that size would be fine. Anything larger and you're looking at significant fuel consumption and a heavier outfit to pull it. I can pull my trailer with my little V-6 1999 Jimmy but avoid pulling it too far and only at night when traffic is light (I can't see anything following behind). A half ton 4x4 pickup would haul it just fine. My brother's Tahoe handles it well.

I have gone the pull behind route and sold it so I can go to a slide in. the pull behind requires a license, 4 tires and bearings to maintain, and it is difficult to pull a boat or ATV or any trailer behind it (if even legal in your state unless you go 5th wheel). the slide in, with power jacks, can be dropped fairly easily.

There is more room in a pull behind. Depends on your priorities. Go look at a few. Bring the wife too!

If you are planning on coming to Wyoming keep in mind how much wind they catch. Some are so tall and big that they can cause problems if you catch a 70 MPH head or side wind. Or in some cases you can't even travel.

I have both.
Fuel mileage seems to be more a factor of wind resistance than weight. I get less mpg with the overhead than the small camp trailer. But I'm usually also towing something when I have had the overhead on.

Like mentioned above. Look at the Payload rating if you are trying to use a 1500. Those slide in campers max things out pretty quick.

It sounds like you are used to pretty spartan living which is good. You could also go with one of those Go Fast Campers or the Four Wheel Project M that use the bed rails and are essentially a topper with a bed and some added living space. They are lighter than a slide in and you can build them out how you'd like. There are trade offs to everything unfortunately and you'll just have to decide what is most important to you. Depending on the slide in (a giant one vs. a smaller pop up version) you can really go anywhere the truck can go which is nice. Trailer is obviously limited off road, but you can drop it somewhere and use your truck to do truck things.

We have a Four Wheel Camper right now that is fairly lightweight, about 850 pounds. It is nice for my wife and I but we now have a 7 month old and with all of his stuff it gets tight pretty quickly. We'll likely use it thru this summer/fall and then sell it and likely get a small trailer of some sort.

We looked at both and decided on a pull behind. The ability to drop it with ease and the extra room far exceeds the benefits of a slide in.

Check out OutdoorsRV they make really nice off grid 4 season campers. 2 of us on here purchased the 23dbs without much regret. If you could find a used one I would take a jump at it. They way they are built there isn’t any rot issues and will last a very long time.

Another vote for the pull behind, I currently have a 29‘ toy hauler that has plenty of space, towing it with a Ram 2500 diesel. Do you have a diesel or gas motor in the 2500? If it’s a diesel check your payload rating because you’re pretty limited.

Had a slide in, one rainy summer with dog, wife and I on multiple weekends rained in, it turned into a pull behind. It's a bunch more room but can't take the boat along. Trade offs with everything.

I have had both. Depends on your needs. Camper was nice when fishing since I could tow a boat. It would not even be an option now since my wife would not be able to climb into the bed because of an injury. I would have to drop it on hunting trips so I could navigate roads. The pull behind was better suited for me. Easier to drop when hunting. I ended up getting rid of both.

You can also tow a Jeep behind a truck camper - of course you need enough truck. There are popup models that are lighter with lower center of gravity that are better off-road. Still need 3/4 or 1 ton but not dually.

I have gone the pull behind route and sold it so I can go to a slide in. the pull behind requires a license, 4 tires and bearings to maintain, and it is difficult to pull a boat or ATV or any trailer behind it (if even legal in your state unless you go 5th wheel). the slide in, with power jacks, can be dropped fairly easily.

There is more room in a pull behind. Depends on your priorities. Go look at a few. Bring the wife too!
Good point on the bearings. Can't count the number of tent trailers I have seen along the road up on a jack waiting for a bearing. Remember, the smaller the wheel the more the bearing spins going down the road.

I’ve also had both. Currently we’ve been on the road for seven weeks from LaGrande to Cabo to Vegas now to Tucson. We are pulling a 2008 - 25 foot Airstream. 2 of us, 2 GSPs, bikes, etc. I will never own another slide in, I still prefer either of my wall tents for elk hunting but do like the Airstream with a generator for bird hunting drives across Montana.
We’re powered by Dodge/diesel and we’ve averaged 12.5 at just over 3kmiles. Very little of it on freeways.
The trailer has been drug down some roads it shouldn’t have over the years, ive learned that it’s better to unhook if you even consider for a moment going down a rough road.
Buy quality, an awful lot of these RVs rot away after 10 years or so. Have fun!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back