Slip in truck camper vs pull behind camper

Lots of quality smaller trailers that will fit your needs and make trip much more comfortable. If a second trailer is needed you can double tow if primary trailer is set up correctly and have adequate truck.

I really like my slide-in 2001 S+S camper, but my 1 ton diesel with rear helper springs feels it. I'm usually alone staying in it and only occasionally will my wife join. I'm also a fan of not pulling a trailer if I don't have to. But having the horses, sleds, or atvs along with a camper at the same time is nice.
That being said, it gets a little tight in the slide-in camper and more space would be nice.20200716_204159_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Our camper is more compact but very comfortable for my wife and me. The advantage is the ability to flat-tow our Jeep behind or tow a horse trailer or UTV trailer.
The Dodge Ram 3500 seems to ride better with the camper on board. It also was very comfortable for taking each of our grandkids on their "five-year-old" special trips to Pompei's pillar, Beartooth Highway, and Yellowstone NP.

Camper on RAM 3500.JPG

Another vote for the pull behind, I currently have a 29‘ toy hauler that has plenty of space, towing it with a Ram 2500 diesel. Do you have a diesel or gas motor in the 2500? If it’s a diesel check your payload rating because you’re pretty limited.
Our is the 6.4 gas

Our is the 6.4 gas
Opens up more options for your then if you go with the slide in. When I bought my truck I didn’t pay much attention to the payload rating, I got a good deal and was more interested in the towing. Started looking at slide in campers in 2019 then realized my payload rating sucks and would be stuck with a pop up style.

Hope my two cents arn't to late. We have a 2018 Northstar Adventure 8.5. I always have a late model F250 third one a 2022 7.3 Gas. also had a 2018 6.2 and a 2006 with the v10 we have to travel 2k plus every time we want to vacation out west.We have a boat, horses, and atv's. Slide ins are a great option for anyone who is serious about travel with yur favorite gear. We live in New Hampshire and are out west most every year. The wind effects anything thats light but the great thing about slid ins is that when towing they are very stable cuz the truck has the suspension to Tow and Haul. Get the slide in and enjoy towing yur favorite toy's. Fuel milage sucks when yur hauling anything so get what ya want!!

I know I am late to this discussion but this is my newest hunting camp setup for solo hunts. i built it last summer. This is a shake down trip in Glacier last October. 8 degrees outside 68 degrees inside with the Propex propane heater which is mounted in the galley. It has Queen size bed. It isn’t completed yet but campable. Camped late November/December in Bryce, North Rim GC, Zion etc. in Cold conditions. I hardly notice it back there when towing. Need to decide if I’m going to keep my wall tent camp setup.
BB329FF3-983B-4BA0-98A9-D68AF7612A8F.jpeg

A slide in doesn't belong anywhere near a 150.
Have you referenced the charts of newer models or is this based on what 150s were 20 years ago? The new 150 with 3.73, max tow and v8 are approaching numbers what a f350 diesel could do from the early 90s.

The new f150 charts showing the worst bed/cab configuration will handle a lance 650.

I’m sure in the extreme minority, but I do neither. The vast majority of the time, I can find a small town with a local motel or an Airbnb within 30-45 minutes of whatever trailhead I plan to hike in from. I personally find myself better rested and enjoy the experience more overall when I get stretch my legs out proper in a motel or house with a better bed and shower and have a beer and burger at a local bar. It’s likely cheaper this way too even if that’s not the primary concern considering a motel is about $100-150/ night x 5-10 nights per season versus the large uprfront camper cost plus extra gas, insurance, maintenance, storage, etc. I will admit that I’m not sleeping out in deep nature though and have to wake up those 30-45 minutes earlier to drive back out there. Occasionally I will rent a pull behind if I’m in for that experience or just can’t find a close enough motel or Airbnb but I will never buy one again.

I’m sure in the extreme minority, but I do neither. The vast majority of the time, I can find a small town with a local motel or an Airbnb within 30-45 minutes of whatever trailhead I plan to hike in from. I personally find myself better rested and enjoy the experience more overall when I get stretch my legs out proper in a motel or house with a better bed and shower and have a beer and burger at a local bar. It’s likely cheaper this way too even if that’s not the primary concern considering a motel is about $100-150/ night x 5-10 nights per season versus the large uprfront camper cost plus extra gas, insurance, maintenance, storage, etc. I will admit that I’m not sleeping out in deep nature though and have to wake up those 30-45 minutes earlier to drive back out there. Occasionally I will rent a pull behind if I’m in for that experience or just can’t find a close enough motel or Airbnb but I will never buy one again.
One motel with bedbugs will make you readjust that idea...

That's what happened to me, bought a camper to avoid bedbugs.

Its' always interesting looking at all the different perspectives.

It seems like a lot of the campers I see at peoples houses are like their boats at the lake. They just sit there most of the time.

So hats off to you folks who actually use whatever trailer, tent, camper, boat, etc you have as long at you are getting out there and having fun there isn't a wrong method of camping.

I've had them both, full size slide in, pop up slide in and pull behind 19' travel trailer. Going back to slide in pop up for my Ram 8' bed. Seems I always like to hunt off 2 tracks that have some tight switchbacks that makes it interesting to get a travel trailer around wondering if the inside wheels will not slide off gravel edges. Plus the beating it took from branches, uneven roads, twisting of frame that can cause other issues with plumbing, leakage etc.

I will be pulling a flatbed for new UTV so the slide in makes most sense for me. I will be going back to pop up slide in that maximizes the interior space of it. I am looking for a "wardrobe style" that does not have a bathroom plus adds better sleeping for the down bunk (dining area). I had one and sold it and now wished I didn't! The cooking is easy and nice to have inside. The fridge becomes an added storage for dry goods for me since not worth the effort when I have coolers. For most part I only use the furnace to warm up in morning no different than wood stove in tent. Leaving roof vents open eliminated moisture inside, never had trouble with that. Biggest issue is inside storage but that is where I will use the front of the flatbed with tubs and duffels if need be. The on/off has never been a problem for me if you have a 4 legged slide in. Just slow and easy. I lay a piece of 2x4 lumber to front of bed so you can prevent camper from slamming into the bed itself. The board keeps the body of the camper just right and not pushing onto the "soft" part of the camper against the bed rail.

Couple of critical points for really easy hauling is to use a good tie down system like Torklift (https://www.torklift.com/) that allows the corners to be tied down and removable easily when not hauling. I also added a remote wireless Airlift bag system (https://www.airliftcompany.com/) to truck that allows you to adjust the suspension travel for weight and road conditions. The Airlift system will make your truck feel like it is on rails and stability from large truck passing is huge benefit. I love it for towing my boat as well to maintain stability of truck to boat over the dips and dives now common in our wonderful state roads.

I like the pop up for low profile which does help a bit for MPG and wind resistance from crosswinds as well. I also bring a large tarp that I can place over entire camper if it looks like heavy snow just to keep the snow out of the canvas areas for easier retract and go.

Now having said all this, I am getting quote to have a cargo trailer built for the UTV with windows, vents, and possibly wood stove trap door. This may be best of all worlds. This will be lot tougher than a toy hauler and hold up better to "hunting conditions" I may put it through. It may also be out of bounds price wise.

I have done the truck camper; won't do that again (you can ask my hunting buddy). It just was not worth the time to setup and take down every time I wanted to sleep. I have the shell now, working out fantastic. Eventually I may end up with a small towable trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 7
We’ve got a couple things to get past, but I’ll be looking at a 6.5’x14 toyhauler fishhouse for a “hunting/camping rig. For November and later trips you can’t have the wet systems anyway, and it still lets you have the bed for hauling stuff. Let’s you get out of the elements and have a place to warm and dry out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back