Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SKULL mounts....

Moosie

Grand poopa
DS, I seen the burner that you had in the Wyo. gathering.... It;'s a Dual propain burner right ?!?!?!

MY question is, would you be willing to bring a extra container to boil a head or two.. I figure if someone jsut wants to boil outthe head and not take the CAPE we could do that there.....

I had a coustom box built for mine. It fits over both burners and is about 9" high on all sides.. I can Boil Elk heads in there too.. I'm not sure if I'm doing a mount, IS the only reason I ask....

IF you don't think thats a good Idea thats OK... BUT if several people wanted a euro mount.. WE could take care of them there on the SPOT.

Jsut a thought !!! ANYONE like or dislike that idea ?!?!

Don't the teeth fall out, etc. It could get hard to do that on the spot if there were many skulls in there. You still have to pack up a stinky skull probably. What are the airline rules on transporting those things? I'm going to see if Pickaleo's will give us a volume discount. Another taxidermist offered us a volume discount, but they would be like $135 for a skull mount with the discount I think, plus the shipping and tax. The rams have a bunch of stuff on their skull because they ram each other and that takes a lot of boiling. Thompson has the walk in cooler and freezer and taxidermists will come pick stuff up. If you want to boil your own, that's great. Does anybody want sausage made out of the meat? There's a meat processor that's good about 50 miles away. The one right there in Barksdale is not recommended. He drinks to the point it effects his work adversely, two people have told me this. The meat processor in Ingram on the way back to San Antonio is good and they do skull mounts. I guess I'll check their prices.

Another thing to consider is that we will only be there for about two days. It would be tough to boil several skulls and get them cleaned in two days.

Tom, Can you look into cold storage and/or packing and shipping of capes and skulls. Glen and I are driving, but we are also going on to Brushy Hill for three days or so before we start back for Arizona. I don't think that lugging skulls and green hides around would be real pleasant. Thanks,,,,

This is good news I think. I just got off the phone with the owner of Ingram Meat Processors and they also do skull mounts.
If we get at least 5 animals to them, we will get a 20% discount. I've used these people before and they are good, over 20 kinds of meats made and nice skull mounts. I will probably be able to get some pictures if you want. The normal price for a skull mount is $90 for a ram and maybe $100-$110 for a big hog. They can have either dry sausage or stick jerky for trade on the rams, so people can take meat back with them. It would be 16 lbs of dry sausage or 8lbs of stick jerky for $40-$50 before the discount. You give them your meat and this money, they hand you the sausage made from another guys ram last week, that's the idea. Skin and quarter is $30 with no cold storage fee then, otherwise cold storage is $5/day. Packing with dry ice and buying a container is expensive, $100. That would probably be better to freeze and drive it back or get a taxidermist here to do it, then ship it for $35-$40 once the mount is done. If we get them at least 5 animals for processing, we get a 20% discount off of these prices, which are low to start with. They have a 24 hour cooler that I know the combination too and we can drop the animals off there anytime with that. This place is my vote, but I'll check with Pickaleo's Taxidermy in Camp Wood, which is closer to Thompson's ram hunt ranch. Pickaleo's normal prices are cheaper than the other taxidermy shop with the 10% discount they offered, i.e. Circle S. Circle S has pretty women to come skin and quarter and visit with though, that's an advantage maybe for them.

Ingram is about half way back to San Antonio, quite a ways from Thompson's. Its up to 41, over to I10 and down toward Kerrville. I put a yellow mark on it at the map picture in the ram coice album at snapfish. I'll try and insert it here and e-mail it to you but I'm not sure snapfish lets me do that.
t_=4595

It didn't do it, here's the web address, Ingram is the yellow mark.
http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=3514176/PictureID=59207126/t_=4595

We could sort the animals out(i.e. get all of our personal info. and desired processing attached) in Thompson's freezer and walk in cooler, then take them there all at once. Thompson goes to Ingram pretty regularly and we could check with him, he may even do it during the week if its convenient. If we know about how many would like sausage, we could work on getting it at Thompson's ahead of time. Ingram Meat Proc. and Thompson have worked together pretty well before.

Besides the shoulder mounts and skull mounts some people get a horn mount. Its kind of just like putting the antlers on a plaque, except horns have meat in them and have to be boiled out well first.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-14-2002 12:33: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

I checked the map Tom and that is a considerable distance out of the way for anyone going on to the hog hunt at Brushy Hill. Matter of fact, it's the opposite direction. I'm not sure exactly what we can do yet, but I'll talk with Pete Denney and find out if he has facilities for storing meat, hides and or skulls. If not, perhaps he knows somewhere down that way that can handle this. I will advise. :cool:

Pickalleo's Taxidermy is right there in Camp Wood. They just told me on the phone they don't give a volume discount but CaHunter and Moosie used them last year with good results based on their pictures and comments earlier. CaHunter got his shoulder mount in 6 months which is pretty fast for here. Here's some of their prices for shoulder mounts, etc.:
Aoudad $345
Catalina (New Zealand) $340
Corsican $310
Rambo ram (Merino) $365
Tx Dall $325
Mouflon $310 (full body $1275, 1/2 or 3/4 life size is 75% of full body)

and Sheep and goat horns on a panel, $105 and European skull mounts for sheep $125.

(Note: The Ingram place is better for skull mounts at $90 with 20% discount off of that if we get 5 or more in our group. We can work out getting them there if we get 5 for that. They do well on the meat also.)

No extra charge for skinning and quartering. Their phone number is (830)597-3264.

Tom - I, for one, would be just as happy to get the sausage, especially if Thompson could get it ahead of time and have it on hand to trade for my ram's carcass. I'm not sure yet on what I will want done (skull mount or shoulder mount) as I will wait to see what I bag.

Great, I'll probably get the sausage trade too, so that's at least two for that. I like the dry sausage a lot, you can take it out in the field for the day, you don't need to refrigerate it, and it can be out of the freezer for a couple of weeks before it gets to hard to eat. If we make the 5, a $72 skull mount (90-20%) is hard to beat. If the ram had a great beard or something, I might do the shoulder mount at Pickalleo's.

I can tell from this conversation that none of you guys has ever spent any amount of time in old Mexico. Roast Goat is a real treat down there. Goat tacos are delicious and just plain ole 'Goat on the Barby' is outstanding. I'll save mine for the real thing. All I have to do now is figure out how to get it home.
:cool:

I am thiking about going with the sausage trade since I will be fying.I am not sure how I would like to do a mount if I get one.I think thatI will probably endup doing a skull mount unless its a big boy.
Good Huntin-Kraven

One of the tricks I used to do is put a skull on an anthill......they can do pretty quick work on most of the skull meat......then after it sits in the sun and starts to stink.......the rest of the meat can go in the Gumbo! :eek:
DS

High and Low temperature records and average rainfall for nearby cities.

March 75.5° F 48.3° F .9 in 101° F (03/28/1971) 16° F (03/02/1980)
April 83.2° F 56.9° F 2.3 in 104° F (04/26/1996) 29° F (04/08/1973

Bracketville, Texas. (south of Thompson’s ram ranch.)

March 74.1° F 42.2° F 1 in 97° F (03/28/1967) 13° F (03/05/1966)
April 82.3° F 51.5° F 1.9 in 102° F (04/26/1996) 20° F (04/03/1987)

Sonora, Texas (north of Thompson’s ram ranch.)

Should be like hunting Washington at that time except for the extreme high temps.The low temps look good to me,that is about our highs for then :eek: .Thanks for the info Tom.
Good Huntin-Kraven

Taxidermy news: I picked up a broshure for Creative Taxidermy in Sabinal, TX last weekend. I talked to them today, its only $300 for a ram shoulder mount but packing and shipping is $80 and up. Cold storage, if they do the taxidermy, is free, otherwise $10/day. A boar shoulder mount is $450 with them and the skull mounts on rams and boars are $180 and $150. Ingram meat processor is the best deal on skull mounts at $90 for rams and 100-110 for a big boar, plus, they'll give us a 20% discount with 5 of us sending our stuff there. Circle S Taxidermy, that I like is more for the shoulder mount, but less on the shipping. What did Pickaleo's charge you two for shipping last year, they may still be the best deal on a shoulder mount including shipping?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-28-2002 14:33: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back