Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sitka layering with a twist (MTP VS ECWCS LINES)

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40315

So, I bought some layering from Cabelas. Not breaking the bank. I bought (This is their MTP system; they also have a more expensive line called ECWCS line) tops and bottoms in mid-weight and Heavy-weight to later them under my Sitka Jetstream jacket and Timberline pants. Should I take this MTP line back and get the ECWCS line) The jet stream jacket as I was told will be an excellent windbreaker and keep me warm in low temps regardless of its thickness.?.?.? In looking at some of the Cabelas goretex brands of jackets and pants they are super heavy duty (heavy material). Will keep you warm but heavy. More for the deer stand; in my opinion.

My question is this going to be enough with three layerings in cold teens and 0 degree temps while in the mountains? Has anyone used these products before and am I on the right track for proper layering system? Plus, does anyone have a rain gear system the use or would suggest? Thank you for the suggestions and help! Excited about elk season this fall. C71FA924-0C45-4F2A-99DA-6241FE2A4C3E.jpeg6B736050-185C-4534-8449-E5A9F8692F67.jpeg3ACCFBC8-5F45-477D-BFFC-DFB1A154839F.jpeg1664A2A1-A4C0-4E6B-9547-F09690252CE4.jpeg

Attachments

• 587F54B6-38F7-4B81-9BAA-517D44DB6570.jpeg
    587F54B6-38F7-4B81-9BAA-517D44DB6570.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 7113FC08-CD5F-4447-898F-7C0DC9B0FA57.jpeg
    7113FC08-CD5F-4447-898F-7C0DC9B0FA57.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
You will be fine with that stuff. Bass Pro had a Redhead brand of the same stuff. I used it for years before switching over to wool. Wool is a bit more season friendly and can be used all year in both warm and cold temps, wicks moister very well and is much more odor resistant in my opinion. I have been an all season hunter for the last 4 years so it made sense for me.

As far as a rain shell, given your layering setup and late season most any good shell will work as long as you're not super active. If you are an active hunter who puts miles on their feet during wet/snowy conditions I would really think long and hard about spending the money for a "high quality" outer rain shell that has pit zips, a breathable membrane and good hood. Camo pattern wouldn't be a concern as most late seasons require orange vests anyway so don't spend money based on a brand or camo pattern. IF you're active and are putting serious miles on your feet in teen-30deg. climates, the key is gonna be wicking moisture from your body, If you have a rain shell that doesn't let that happen you are in trouble when you stop and sit in those temps. There are dozens of high quality rain shells both in the hunting world as well as the backpacking and outdoor world. Some of the new Toray fabrics are pretty phenomenal as well as Gortex. Kuiu makes a high quality "Yukon Jacket" that is very nice if your dead set on supporting the hunting community with your dollars but there are many others on the market outside the industry. Just do your homework if your planning on spending that kind of money.

My humble .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me add that I wore the mid weight tops and bottoms under a set of the Cabela’s Microtex pants and a windshear fleece jacket last year in WY. Temps went from teens to low thirties and I was very comfortable.

Not sure I'd go with the heaviest long johns as they are hard to take off when it gets too hot...I usually go with a lighter weight base layer. I have a set of MTP's that I like pretty good, but I've kind of switched over to mostly wool, and I can tell you for sure that it gets way way less funky on a 7 day backcountry hunt than the synthetics do. Midway actually sells a house brand of merinos that is a lot of bang for your buck, although they are usually out until pretty close to hunting season. As for rain gear, it's a pricey endeavor to get a set of the top quality ones, but all the good gear companies make a good product...Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite. I bought a set of Mil surp goretex rain gear on ebay for a little over $200 all told that has served me quite well, and is very light weight and packable. It's multicam though, so it may not match other stuff if that matters.

ECWCS is nice except it is restrictive when walking. It is very comfortable and warm but I can feel a difference when climbing while wearing it. My quads get tired faster and it feels like you have rubber bands holding your legs back while lifting. Maybe mine are too small? I figured it was just because of the material and thickness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back