Sitka blacktails - rut hunt

Bambistew

Anyone hunted these guys in the rut?

We're finishing up the planning a trip South East AK for next month. I have zero experience hunting them. Surprisingly there isn't a lot of information on "how to" or basic tips and tactics for hunting them. 90% of the information I've found is what to wear, and what kind of gun to shoot. Not helpful. Some info on where the "best" places to hunt them, not helpful. I'm interested in habitat preference, movement, calling tactics, etc.

I've read that they don't like the clear cuts after they've become an over grown jungle. To me I would think they would use them for bedding areas, or at least the fringes. I presume they're similar to whitetails in this respect?

How about movement? I presume during the rut all bets are off and they'll be cruising? Are they more like whitetails where they will service a doe and move to the next, or are they more like a mule deer and will stick around a group of does?

Do they herd up, or are they pretty solitary?

Anyone have any good references or personal experience hunting them?

Been a long time since I set out after an animal in a foreign habitat I've no clue how to hunt. Pretty exciting.

Anyone hunted these guys in the rut?

We're finishing up the planning a trip South East AK for next month. I have zero experience hunting them. Surprisingly there isn't a lot of information on "how to" or basic tips and tactics for hunting them. 90% of the information I've found is what to wear, and what kind of gun to shoot. Not helpful. Some info on where the "best" places to hunt them, not helpful. I'm interested in habitat preference, movement, calling tactics, etc.

I've read that they don't like the clear cuts after they've become an over grown jungle. To me I would think they would use them for bedding areas, or at least the fringes. I presume they're similar to whitetails in this respect?

How about movement? I presume during the rut all bets are off and they'll be cruising? Are they more like whitetails where they will service a doe and move to the next, or are they more like a mule deer and will stick around a group of does?

Do they herd up, or are they pretty solitary?

Anyone have any good references or personal experience hunting them?

Been a long time since I set out after an animal in a foreign habitat I've no clue how to hunt. Pretty exciting.

No expert here, my experience with AK deer is potting tender spikes on POW but I'd try rattling/grunt tube. I bet it works?

Not to push the convo to another forum but I would try to contact Steven Rinella and see what he says. If I remember correctly he rut hunted them. If not my apologies but if he gives some sound advice please pass it on to the rest of us!!

Over on the "other site" an infamous poster from SE AK seems to have a lot of luck calling in bucks during the rut. If I recall correctly, he favored the Lohman K-Meer call.

I've hunted sitka blacktail twice so far (Kodiak Island) and I'm headed up there again on Oct. 24th. One of my previous trips was during the rut and it was a blast. The bucks were very responsive to rattling, grunting and the deer call. I use a deer call specially made for sitka blacktails/blacktails by Alex Panalagao who lives in Grayland, WA. The call is made from Alaskan Yellow Cedar and really works well. Not sure whether he stills makes them, but the phone number I have is 360-267-1961. I'll be looking forward to reading your hunt report.

Didn't hunt them in the rut,but one thing I did notice is they seemed to move a lot better in bad weather,esp. rain

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back