Sitka Ascent Pant Review

blgoode

The benefits of the sitka ascent pant may not seem noticeable just shopping the web *but I have kept a mental log of what isn't working for me each season in gear, tactics and clothing.*

My main mental log of my clothing last year were heat management, clothing constrictions, bulkyness, weight during early season and cold during late season.*

Today here it's 83 degrees where I am. Not a perfect day to hang a tree stand but I like to get mine set early and come back with bow in hand in September.*

As I have just gotten my 20' climbing sticks set Im taking mental notes about what is different than the last 2 years.*

1- my pants aren't bogging me down with a heavy hot feeling. These pants are very breathable and actually allow me to feel really cool by BREATHING!!!!*

2- I have way better agility as these pants are 4 way stretch material so I don't have to lift my pant up before bending a knee like we see old guys do a lot, and the opposite reaction my movement isn't pulling my pants down from my waste from all the knee bending that sometimes happens after a long activity session.*

Stretch = Good
223df6a0.jpg

3- I love the zipper!! I don't have to do anything to unloosen my climbing harness or belt. I simply open the fly from the lower zipper and walla!!! Easy access. Big deal if your on the move with a pack on.*

4- I can see!!! You would be amazed at how bulky blowzy pants limit you seeing what your doing when climbing tree stand equipment.*

774bb7f2.jpg

b2eae733.jpg

5- the material is super quiet. Well thought out pocket locations, articulated knee areas and gusseted crotch. The zippers are super quiet. Even the side pocket snaps are super quiet!! Made from a rubbery material so you don't have that "snap" sound and their easily opened when you need inside. Very cool feature!!

6d6cd181.jpg

Side cargo pocket
306f297f.jpg

Sitting you can access the small vertical pocket that is now horizontal
531fc4b8.jpg

2eacaf94.jpg

Quiet Snaps!!
e38f13cb.jpg

6- the inside waste and has a rubbery material that keeps your shirt tails tucked in if that's your thing. I normally don't worry with that but it may change with these pants.*

I really like the pattern for tree stand hunting in my area!!
c48e89e0.jpg

1ba2afd6.jpg

Hard to get a shot of the pattern from below when I'm alone to show how it blends in but I think the pattern is great.*
The cord and pattern is very similar to what I've been seeing when I look up from below.*
05620e18.jpg

A lot of guys say that Sitka is over kill for seasonal hunters like myself but we don't blink at spending good money for stands, bows, rifles or scopes. I'm not getting any younger and I'm going to make my hunting experience as enjoyable as I can and today I really felt like I wasn't fighting the heat or my clothes to do what I needed to do. Just paying attention to task at hand and safety precautions. These will be a delight to wear while sitting in the stand in hot September early season in my area.*

I got a full set of the Sitka gear 3 or 4 years ago for dirt cheap. As I've worn it out I've been finding cheap replacements for everything. In doing so I've realized that most Sitka gear is really, really overrated.

That said I haven't been able to find any pants that come close to the Ascents without getting into the really high dollar softshells. I should've grabbed 3-4 pairs at the price I found them originally.

Only thing I could add would be to have these in solid colors or at least charcoal gray for non camo desired situations.

I can say these pants are plain tough. I've put at least 50+ days of hunting into these pants and there is nothing wrong with them that I didn't do. I have one small hole in the crotch from a barbed wire fence and a small tear on the right inside cuff from my mountain bike. Everything else functions the same as day 1. The material is awesome because it's stretchy and great for steep hikes or going over logs, and when you do get a tear it doesn't get larger. They have faded some but I've literally army crawled through cow crap so that's to be expected.

I'm a 90% guy and bought my Timberlines this last winter. I've got a pair of Ascents and now that I'm hunting whitetails in Illinois this year I'm going to give them a go. It's REALLY warm here so I think they'll be the ticket. I love Sitka Gear and I just wait till the beginning of the year to buy all my stuff when it's 20% off or more from Camofire.

Am I the only idiot who stared at the bottom picture for ten minutes looking for the guy in the treestand.....that isnt there. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back