SINGLE PIN HELP NEEDED

CoastalPlains

Hello all,

I recently purchased a single pin sight for my bow. I went cheap with the Trophy Ridge Drive.
I am wondering if someone can explain this sight tape thing to me? It somehow just seems easier to sight it in myself and use waterproof tape to mark the yardage but I would love to know all of your opinions.
I picked it up and put it on tonight so will be shooting it in the morning for the first time.
All help is appreciated!

You can buy pre made tapes from black gold and maybe a cpl others.
You shoot 20/60 or 30/80 then find the printed tape that matches your two marks. You can use the sticky part of a sticky note on the sight bar and put a dot for each of your two marks then leaving the sight in place, remove the sticky and use it to line up corresponding marks on the pre printed tapes. Then put the appropriate tape on your sight bar, lining up your pointer with the corresponding tape yardage mark.
or
cut down an avery label, stick it on your sight bar and use a pen to mark your distances on that label.

for my hunting sight, I just use a label and pen. I set it on 30 and go hunt.

I’m using a sword sight I got second hand years ago, don’t even know the model of it, when I got it I didn’t even know there were premade sight tapes and the guy I got it from had a strip of fine lined graph paper taped to the slider bar with marks made in pen. Since then I just use a high tech custom cut piece of white masking tape from the kitchen junk drawer that I mark with pencil. I’m sure a premade sight tape would be ideal but I worked with what I have. One pin good from 20-90 yards. Have fun with it, If tapes came with the sight use them, if they didn’t go the homemade route. As stated above using a sticky note and matching that up with the tape is a great tip

High tech custom piece of masking tape... I love that. Thanks for the advice y’all, sounds like I’m just going to grab a pen!

You can do it lots of ways but just zero your sight out at the top of its range. Ot shouldn't be able to move up on the slider. Then shoot for 20. Adjust your sight up and down using the bolts that attach the housing. There should be like 6 or so holes and just move the housing only up or down till it's close or perfect at 20. If you can get it perfect by moving the housing then you are going to have to slide the sight down to fine tune it to 20. If that's the case then you will need to mark the 20 location on a blank piece of tape. Once 20 is dialed in the move to 60 and just slide your sight till it's perfect at 60. And good enough isn't ok. It has to be the most perfect you can shoot. Once you figure that out mark it and take off the tape. Don't move the slider from 60! Then match it to a sight tape that has the same distance between. 20 and 60. Once you find it put it on with the 60 lining up to your slider pin (which should be still at 60 from when you were shooting). Then recheck every distance from 20-80+ sometimes they are a tiny bit off at farther distances so you'll have to either change the sight or make your own.
Also archers advantage online is a program where you can enter all your information and print off custom sight tapes. It has always worked great for me and is only $10/ year. Basically it's as expensive as a package of pre printed sight tapes.

A lot of people have difficulty getting the proper tape with a single pin sight. THe method I use is different than most but works extremely well. Put a blank tape on your sight (whether it's the sight bar or the adjustment wheel). Shoot at 20 to just get it close, preferably hitting 3" high. Move back to 30 yds and get a VERY GOOD mark...i mean very good and mark the tape with a pen. Work your way back as far as you can and are making good shots on a competition bow this is 70yds for me...my hunting bow is typically 60yds...50yds is acceptable as long as you get a VERY GOOD mark. THen compare all the preprinted tapes to find the one that matches up. Using 30-50 or 30-60 or 30-70 will give you a more accurate tape than using 20 as the first number. YOur 20 mark can be off by quite a bit before you start seeing it at the target.

FWIW - I've been shooting a single pin slider for 10 years doing the avery label\pen every year, I like to start with a fresh label every season. Works great. I do this to just kinda keep track of what my bows are doing over time. If rain is a concern I've used clear box tape or even clear nail polish. The nail polish is a pia for me.
I also use both sides of the tape for different arrow setups. My turkey arrows are much heavier than my game arrows so just mark up one side for each.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back