Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

sighting back in question

nastynate

This is just something I'm curious about... I have about 20 rounds of my hunting ammo and 70 rounds of target ammo. The hunting ammo is sighted in at about 2" high at 100 yards, and the target ammo hits about 1" high at 100 yards. If I ever really knocked my scope off on a hunt, could I use the target ammo to sight back in to 1" high and expect to be good to go with my hunting ammo? I cannot think of any reason why that would not work just fine, but maybe there's something I'm not thinking about. This past fall, I brought all my hunting ammo and one box of target ammo on my hunt, and my plan was to use that target ammo to get dialed back in if I smashed my rifle at some point (thankfully that didn't happen). This question comes from a place of ammo conservation and scarcity, of course. Normally I'd just bring two boxes of hunting ammo on a hunt (if I'm not backpacking). I haven't seen my hunting ammo available for a while, and I usually shoot 0-2 animals a year with my rifle, so I'm hoping my remaining box of 20 will tide me over until the shelves aren't bare.

For what it's worth, I hunt with 30-06 165gr Federal Trophy Copper, and my target ammo (which just happened to be some ammo I picked up on sale once upon a time) is 125gr core-lokt.

This is just something I'm curious about... I have about 20 rounds of my hunting ammo and 70 rounds of target ammo. The hunting ammo is sighted in at about 2" high at 100 yards, and the target ammo hits about 1" high at 100 yards. If I ever really knocked my scope off on a hunt, could I use the target ammo to sight back in to 1" high and expect to be good to go with my hunting ammo? I cannot think of any reason why that would not work just fine, but maybe there's something I'm not thinking about. This past fall, I brought all my hunting ammo and one box of target ammo on my hunt, and my plan was to use that target ammo to get dialed back in if I smashed my rifle at some point (thankfully that didn't happen). This question comes from a place of ammo conservation and scarcity, of course. Normally I'd just bring two boxes of hunting ammo on a hunt (if I'm not backpacking). I haven't seen my hunting ammo available for a while, and I usually shoot 0-2 animals a year with my rifle, so I'm hoping my remaining box of 20 will tide me over until the shelves aren't bare.

For what it's worth, I hunt with 30-06 165gr Federal Trophy Copper, and my target ammo (which just happened to be some ammo I picked up on sale once upon a time) is 125gr core-lokt.
Yes that would work.

Or...hear me out...buy more hunting ammo. I know it's hard to get but having more than 20 seems to be the responsible thing to do

I sure will be buying more when I find it.

How many rounds, precisely, do I need to have on hand in order to be doing the responsible thing? 26?

There are currently like 20 boxes of the 30-06 Federal Trophy Copper stuff on the shelves in my local Dunham Sports. No one buys it for some reason. I would in a heartbeat if I had a rifle chambered in it.

Typically you dont want mess around with different ammo types specially the drastic different types you have listed. If you have to use different ammo at least get the same grain at a minimum. The other reality is anything under 200yds shouldnt be affected all that much, if your good shot 1-3in difference because of bullets isnt going to make or break you, but I wouldnt advocate for that either.

With that said find the ammo you need regardless of cost.

so I'm hoping my remaining box of 20 will tide me over until the shelves aren't bare.
I feel your pain. I've been wanting to replace the scope on my .270 but with only a limited supply of ammo, sighting in will be a stressful endeavor.

I feel your pain. I've been wanting to replace the scope on my .270 but with only a limited supply of ammo, sighting in will be a stressful endeavor.
I have used junk ammo to get me on paper and close and use my real stuff. Sometimes you can spend half a box just getting on paper.

I sure will be buying more when I find it.

How many rounds, precisely, do I need to have on hand in order to be doing the responsible thing? 26?
Dude, I was in the same boat, with the same ammo but 308. Federal online finally had it back in stock, set me back $65/bx ouch! But I've been looking for it since before covid was around, figured expensive ammo is better than no ammo

Half a box getting on paper? I always tell people if you bore sight and miss paper at 100 move to 25 yards and bore sight it again and shot there. Then adjust your scope and move back to 100.
I always just start off at 25 yds and go from there.

There are currently like 20 boxes of the 30-06 Federal Trophy Copper stuff on the shelves in my local Dunham Sports. No one buys it for some reason. I would in a heartbeat if I had a rifle chambered in it.
How much they going for? It's been great for me.

Dude, I was in the same boat, with the same ammo but 308. Federal online finally had it back in stock, set me back $65/bx ouch! But I've been looking for it since before covid was around, figured expensive ammo is better than no ammo
I bought 3 boxes of it years ago. Sighted in, and did a bit of practice now and then. But now that I can't find it I'm saving my ammo for the hunt.

Half a box getting on paper? I always tell people if you bore sight and miss paper at 100 move to 25 yards and bore sight it again and shot there. Then adjust your scope and move back to 100.
No I agree but if I miss at 100 im going to shoot twice just to make sure. Move to 25 and back 100 alone your 5-6 rounds into it, it adds up quick.

What about the bullet shaped bore sighting lasers? That should save some rounds?

I bought 3 boxes of it years ago. Sighted in, and did a bit of practice now and then. But now that I can't find it I'm saving my ammo for the hunt.
Literally the exact same boat I was in. I signed up for an in stock alert on the federal ammos page. Like I said it wasn't cheap, but worth it to hunt, ya know?

Back