Sierra GameChanger Bullets

Not Cynical, just skeptical I think. You make some great points and certainly a person ought to be cautious when trying new products such as these. Nothing worse than wounding an animal and laying awake all night wondering if it was you or the bullet that did not perform. You do have a skill for seeing things that might be missed by others. I do appreciate your insight.

You are right about marketing. They originally peaked my attention on the shelf with the new design of packaging.

I did notice in some cases the weight factor as you did. Hence my question above about 6.5 130grn vs the 140grn.

I don't know where you would find or how someone would come by the proof to prove someone wrong. From what I have been reading, as with any tracking and trending, the results can be skewed to represent what the author wants to convey. I guess only time to see if they fall by the way side or become very popular.

For deer or antelope you don't really need anything heavier than 130 grainers. At $25.80 per box and free shipping on 4 or more boxes, it's hard to go wrong.

Last edited:
The Game Changer from Sierra is definitely very similar to the Nosler ballistic tip bullet.
This will be a great choice for deer in particular. But it's not going to revolutionize the hunting world.
It is one of the best bullets Sierra has for hunting out to 400 yrds. and the bullet weight they offer in each caliber is optimal for normal hunting distance and barrel twist of most factory guns.
The .25 Cal is definitely not as popular as many others and getting less common every year.
The only thing I don't see as far as overall cartridge coverage, is a 180gr. .30 Cal for the magnums, like the .300 win mag.

The Game Changer from Sierra is definitely very similar to the Nosler ballistic tip bullet.
This will be a great choice for deer in particular. But it's not going to revolutionize the hunting world.
It is one of the best bullets Sierra has for hunting out to 400 yrds. and the bullet weight they offer in each caliber is optimal for normal hunting distance and barrel twist of most factory guns.
The .25 Cal is definitely not as popular as many others and getting less common every year.
The only thing I don't see as far as overall cartridge coverage, is a 180gr. .30 Cal for the magnums, like the .300 win mag.

I am thinking that maybe if they become pretty popular that they will expand the selections to include other useful weights and calibers. I'd like to see some performance on actual animals, but I think they have great potential.

That does look like a nice bullet. Kind of a cross between the blitkzing, game king and pro hunter.

However, Seeing what my daughter's 243 has done with 100 grain pro hunters on 5 game animals in 3 years, from 90 to 330 yards, we aren't changing.

I have always liked the accuracy of Sierra bullets, but unless this bullet is different, I would not shoot elk with them. If you are going to shoot one with a Creed, I would load the 127 Barnes LRX and push it up as close to 3000 fps as you can. It will kill any elk you want to shoot, as long as the ranges are kept where they should be, and not in the next county. There have been lots of elk killed with the .260 and Creed, so it is a proven elk killer. Hell, I watched a gun guy on TV (can't remember his name) take one at over 600 with an A-max from a Creed. Bull took a few steps and crashed. Shot placement is always the key, but a durable bullet helps. Hard to beat a Barnes, or Nosler AB, or Partition. The 139 Scenar has proven to be a great hunting bullet, also, even though it was designed for targets. It is a proven entity. Listen to SnowyMountaineer.

I trust magazine articles, about as long as it takes me to burn them in my wood furnace. There are some good ones, and John Barsness is about as good as any. Use magazine articles as a beginning point, for your testing.

The Gamechangers are a completely different bullet than the Game Kings, they have a thicker jacket and are “harder” than a ballistic tip. I was planning on using them out west, but ran out of time working up a load. I will give them a try on local whitetails once I have it worked out.

Just working on a load for one of my 7mm rem mags, 165 grain game changer. Shot a really nice 0.247" group (3 shots) and going back to the range today to see if it will duplicate it. Speed right at 2900. If it duplicated will use mule deer hunting this fall. Already have a rifle ready for elk

I wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone has had any on game experience with the TGK. My brother gave me some in 308 165s that I’m gonna try out in one of my my 308 Wins with RL15 and H4895, but am curious on how they do on game compared to an NBT

Thanks for the information. I sure hope they are better than Ballistic Tips. I've used Ballistic Tips before when they first came out on several deer and two antelope and I was not impressed. I have not tried the ELD-Xs yet. I do use Accubonds in other calibers and they perform pretty well.

The attached video is not to challenge your opinion, but to show their claim of bullet performance.

The ballistic tip is probably the toughest non bonded cup and core bullet made. I've used the 180gr BT out of the 300 rum on elk driven to 3350fps with great results.

I'm sure the Ballistic Tips have improved since I first tried them. In an effort to stay competitive with other offerings they would of had to. But I still have an extremely hard time trying them again. Just my own craziness...
I like the fact that Sierra is offering these bullets. I want to try them in real hunting situations. The seem to shoot and group well, but I have not hunted with them as yet. I'm anxious to see more of a selection to choose from.

Ran the 130’s out of a 260 last fall. Didn’t carry the 260 much so it only accounted for three critters.

1st - doe antelope @ 370yds (quartering to) caliber entrance just in front of shoulder and golf ball sized exit third rib. Never twitched

2nd - doe antelope @ 200yds (broadside) caliber in tight behind shoulder quarter sized exit. Never twitched

3rd - huge bodied muley buck @ 492yds (broadside) caliber in, quarter out. Stumbled and fell within seconds.

I’ve shot them to 1126yds on rocks/steel out of my 8 twist and they are one of the most accurate and consistent bullets I’ve ever played with.

I’ll crush some bear shoulders with them in a week or two and report back on that as well. Initially they seem to act like a high BC Accubond.

Last edited:
I'm sure they're decent bullets. They're a little more expensive than ballistic tips, which in my (limited) experience are the most accurate hunting bullet out there, so I'd probably lean Nosler for a practice/deer/lope round. If I wanted something tough for elk, moose, etc, personally, I'd spend the extra 30 cents per bullet to get something bonded, like an accubond, Scirocco, etc. So, for me, the name is kind of ironic, because they don't really change anything, unless you have some kind of special loyalty to Sierra. Nothing wrong with them though, I'm sure.
Also, for those who call the ballistic tips soft, well, I guess they'll never outlive the reputation they got from early models. Modern ballistic tips, most notably the 165 and 180 grain .308's and the 120 grain .284, are plenty tough for most applications. Take a look at the cross section of a 180 grain ballistic tip and tell me that wouldn't do the job on an elk... Actually, as I recall, Buzz posted some pics of an elk taken with the 120 grain BT's in .284. I'm not surprised at all they worked well. That's a tough little bullet.

I'm sure they're decent bullets. They're a little more expensive than ballistic tips, which in my (limited) experience are the most accurate hunting bullet out there, so I'd probably lean Nosler for a practice/deer/lope round. If I wanted something tough for elk, moose, etc, personally, I'd spend the extra 30 cents per bullet to get something bonded, like an accubond, Scirocco, etc. So, for me, the name is kind of ironic, because they don't really change anything, unless you have some kind of special loyalty to Sierra. Nothing wrong with them though, I'm sure.
Also, for those who call the ballistic tips soft, well, I guess they'll never outlive the reputation they got from early models. Modern ballistic tips, most notably the 165 and 180 grain .308's and the 120 grain .284, are plenty tough for most applications. Take a look at the cross section of a 180 grain ballistic tip and tell me that wouldn't do the job on an elk... Actually, as I recall, Buzz posted some pics of an elk taken with the 120 grain BT's in .284. I'm not surprised at all they worked well. That's a tough little bullet.
Actually Gamechangers are MUCH cheaper than NBT’s, and additionally boast higher BC’s. Toughness is difficult to pinpoint with the NBT’s because some weights in each caliber are tougher than others. The 120/284 is one of my faves and I’ve killed over a dozen big game animals with them started at 3500fps from a 7RM...never kept one in an animal near or far.

Last edited:
Actually Gamechangers are MUCH cheaper than NBT’s, and additionally boast higher BC’s. Toughness is difficult to pinpoint with the NBT’s because some weights in each caliber are tougher than others. The 120/284 is one of my faves and I’ve killed over a dozen big game animals with them started at 3500fps from a 7RM...never kept one in an animal near or far.
Yes, I messed up the search I did. Did not realize I was looking at a box of 100. That's a good deal. Ok, I formally retract my "change nothing" statement!;)

I generally go for a bonded core hunting bullet these days, but I have developed an interest in the Gamechanger. Looks like a pretty good bullet and Sierra's reputation for accuracy would be foolish to overlook, but being primarily a hunter first and shooter second, I've wanted to hear some more info on how they perform on game before I try them.

I really dislike bullets that fragment or tend to be prone to core separation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back