Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sierra GameChanger Bullets

Losing_Sanity

I did a little research on the new GameChanger Sierra bullets. They seem to be a pretty nice hunting bullet. This article in "Rifle Shooter" says, "It’s much more than that and is almost undoubtedly the best big game bullet Sierra has ever produced".

I am curious about the in the 6.5 creedmoor, but appreciate any caliber information. Has anyone tested these new bullets? Is the 6.5, 130grn. in the class of an effective elk and bear bullet? I understand bullet placement is all the difference, but I want to know about the bullet performance.

Any thoughts?

I did a little research on the new GameChanger Sierra bullets. They seem to be a pretty nice hunting bullet. This article in "Rifle Shooter" says, "It’s much more than that and is almost undoubtedly the best big game bullet Sierra has ever produced".

I am curious about the in the 6.5 creedmoor, but appreciate any caliber information. Has anyone tested these new bullets? Is the 6.5, 130grn. in the class of an effective elk and bear bullet? I understand bullet placement is all the difference, but I want to know about the bullet performance.

Any thoughts?

I can’t speak of those bullets but I used Accubonds and a ABLR. Even with those premium bullets I just don’t think it has the energy it needs past 250 for elk. I doubt a new bullet design will change that by much.

I can’t speak of those bullets but I used Accubonds and a ABLR. Even with those premium bullets I just don’t think it has the energy it needs past 250 for elk. I doubt a new bullet design will change that by much.

I am sure my take is overkill. I am sure there have been tens of thousands of elk, deer and antelope killed outside of my parameters. I am sure many of those have been killed by hunters on this forum who are more accomplished than I am. With all of that as a big caveat, for me personally I evaluate my hunting cartridges against the following — rounds must be at least 2,000 fps at impact (gives me a little wiggle room shooting mostly copper now) and carry point of impact energy of 1,500 ftlbs for elk and 1,000 ftlbs for deer/antelope. For most of my guns’ (25-06, 7mm08, .270 Win, .308 Win, 300WSM) typical handloads meet these criteria further than I can shoot accurately in the field (depending on situation I limit myself to 350y or 300y to ensure ethical kill). I have not looked into 6.5manbun, but I would apply the same assessment.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in what a gun mag says; the most effective 6.5 hunting bullet I've used, seen, or been aware of is the 139 Scenar and it's likely never been published in a hunting context. I will be shooting the gamechanger this summer, and may or may not hunt with them in the fall, for what it's worth, which isn't much. :) I am not the consummate elk killer either, I'm more likely to let the average legal bull walk by than put a bullet in it.
There is obviously little field data with the tipped gameking suite of bullets. Just gotta make your judgment call and live with the results, either way.

Took 2 antelope last fall with the 6.5mm 130s out of a 6.5-06AI and it killed as fast as anything I've ever used. Dead before it hit the ground works every time. Will be using them again this year. Previously my go to bullet was the Hornady 129 grain interlock.
$25.30 for a box of 100 from Bruno Shooters Supply.

A 115-120 grainer in .25 cal would be nice.

I didn't have a lot of time to work up a load, but I think they have the potential to shoot pretty good. I had some loads with 61 grains of IMR7828 and Hornady 129s so I just pulled the Hornadys and seated the TGKs.

Kinda by happenstance I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse and saw em on the shelf so I had to buy some to try.

Last edited:
I do have a load that I built for the 130 game changer in hope of it being enough for elk. I chronographed it and if I remember it was 2750fps. I chose to go the 125 partition route as I was getting 2980fps

The Gamechanger really isn't anything more than a ballistic tip. Sierra is cashing in on the high BC long range game, but didn't do much to actually make their bullets more stout. My initial reaction to them was that they'll perform a lot like an ELD-X, Nosler Ballistic Tip, or any other non-bonded, tipped bullet. Good for average velocities, and relatively thin-skinned game. I'm sure they'll take an elk if it's behind the shoulder, but I'd hesitate to hit heavy bone with them.

The Gamechanger really isn't anything more than a ballistic tip. Sierra is cashing in on the high BC long range game, but didn't do much to actually make their bullets more stout. My initial reaction to them was that they'll perform a lot like an ELD-X, Nosler Ballistic Tip, or any other non-bonded, tipped bullet. Good for average velocities, and relatively thin-skinned game. I'm sure they'll take an elk if it's behind the shoulder, but I'd hesitate to hit heavy bone with them.

Thanks for the information. I sure hope they are better than Ballistic Tips. I've used Ballistic Tips before when they first came out on several deer and two antelope and I was not impressed. I have not tried the ELD-Xs yet. I do use Accubonds in other calibers and they perform pretty well.

The attached video is not to challenge your opinion, but to show their claim of bullet performance.

Thanks for the information. I sure hope they are better than Ballistic Tips. I've used Ballistic Tips before when they first came out on several deer and two antelope and I was not impressed. I have not tried the ELD-Xs yet. I do use Accubonds in other calibers and they perform pretty well.

The attached video is not to challenge your opinion, but to show their claim of bullet performance.

The nosler ballistic tips of today are much stouter than they used to be. I’ve put two 150 grain ballistic tips started at 3250fps through an elks shoulder with no problem. I’ve dumped a lot of deer and antelope with a 100 grain ballistic tip started at near 3600fps

Until someone with more knowledge than myself refutes my assertion, I believe that the Game Changer bullets have the same jacket construction and lead alloy that the Gamekings do, and there are plenty of mixed reports on Gamekings. The Game Changer just has a better ogive and a ballistic tip, which would initiate expansion more quickly than just the exposed lead tip of the Gameking. I'm a fan of the accuracy that these standard, cup and core bullets have to offer, but after shooting a cow elk at 300yds with a 162gr ELD-X that didn't make it all the way into the body cavity after hitting the shoulderblade, I just don't have 100% confidence that they would perform on less than ideal shot angles. I tend to shoot more heavily constructed bullets, and lean towards monolithics. Last year, at 330yds, a 168gr Nosler Accubond Long Range punched my mule deer through the heart, exited the rib cage, and then went into the offside leg muscle, where I recovered it. I like to have an entrance and an exit wound for tracking purposes, especially since animals don't always drop on the spot like many hunting videos like to portray.
My point in this rambling is this: Animals aren't bulletproof, and countless animals have fallen to less fancy bullets than mentioned in this thread, but I like to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible. This year I'm shooting the 155gr TLR bullet from Federal, which should expand and hold together for the type of performance I like. Otherwise I'll be going to a Barnes or Hammer monolithic.

While i've been hearing good things about their accuracy, i haven't gotten any yet.
For me Sierra hasn't made them in weight for calibers that i shoot.
Only a 165gr offering in 7mm.
No 25 caliber offering at all.

I've used the 150 grain Game Kings on deer out of my .30-06 and they worked great. If the jacket on this new Game Changer bullet is thicker than the game king, then I'm thinking it would be a good hunting bullet for deer sized game at a minimum.

While i've been hearing good things about their accuracy, i haven't gotten any yet.
For me Sierra hasn't made them in weight for calibers that i shoot.
Only a 165gr offering in 7mm.
No 25 caliber offering at all.

They only started with 5 offerings I think. 165 Grains in both 7mm and 30 cal. Seems the 25 caliber is very popular, you would think it would have been one of the 1st offerings. I'm not sure why the 6.5 is in 130 grain and not 140. It seems most the hunting class bullets for this caliber are. I would think the 140s would buck the wind a little better. Especially in antelope country.

I've used the 150 grain Game Kings on deer out of my .30-06 and they worked great. If the jacket on this new Game Changer bullet is thicker than the game king, then I'm thinking it would be a good hunting bullet for deer sized game at a minimum.

I've always liked Sierra Game Kings and Pro Hunters. I generally use 160 gains Game King and H-1000 powder in 7mm STW for my all around go to rifle. They fly extremely well, better than I can shoot, and bullet holes are often touching at 100 yrds.

I read one of the articles that stated the GameChangers jacket is thicker and has better controlled expansion.

Maybe I'm just cynical, and because I got a degree in marketing, but looking through the details that Sierra actually give us leaves me with the following understanding.

Yes, they have a thicker jacket** and a unique lead alloy**
**thicker than a MATCHking--they say they came up with the Gamechanger by redesigning the MATCHking, and not the Gameking. The Gameking already has a thicker jacket than the Matchking, but they want to wow people, so they advertise that it has a THICKER jacket.
**unique lead alloy in the fact that no other manufacturer uses that alloy, but I don't see anywhere that it's a unique alloy among the products within Sierra.

They've done a great job at piquing people's interests in this offering, and I'm betting they are great bullets and will kill a lot of game, but I don't believe Sierra at face value on these bullets. The only way that these *might* be stouter than a Nosler Ballistic Tip is the jacket thickness, and the fact that they have higher sectional density in heavy-for-caliber bullet weights, i.e. the 165gr 7mm. Otherwise there is nothing mechanically, or structurally, superior to current offerings--only the profile is superior to the Nosler, and just on par with Hornady's ELD-X, which actually has the interlock ring to mechanically improve weight retention. And even then, the ELD-X has varied reports of weight retention and performance.

I would love to be proven wrong by Sierra on this, but it appears to be smoke and mirrors to me.

Maybe I'm just cynical, and because I got a degree in marketing, but looking through the details that Sierra actually give us leaves me with the following understanding.

They've done a great job at piquing people's interests in this offering, and I'm betting they are great bullets and will kill a lot of game, but I don't believe Sierra at face value on these bullets. The only way that these *might* be stouter than a Nosler Ballistic Tip is the jacket thickness, and the fact that they have higher sectional density in heavy-for-caliber bullet weights, i.e. the 165gr 7mm. Otherwise there is nothing mechanically, or structurally, superior to current offerings--only the profile is superior to the Nosler, and just on par with Hornady's ELD-X, which actually has the interlock ring to mechanically improve weight retention. And even then, the ELD-X has varied reports of weight retention and performance.

I would love to be proven wrong by Sierra on this, but it appears to be smoke and mirrors to me.

Not Cynical, just skeptical I think. You make some great points and certainly a person ought to be cautious when trying new products such as these. Nothing worse than wounding an animal and laying awake all night wondering if it was you or the bullet that did not perform. You do have a skill for seeing things that might be missed by others. I do appreciate your insight.

You are right about marketing. They originally peaked my attention on the shelf with the new design of packaging.

I did notice in some cases the weight factor as you did. Hence my question above about 6.5 130grn vs the 140grn.

I don't know where you would find or how someone would come by the proof to prove someone wrong. From what I have been reading, as with any tracking and trending, the results can be skewed to represent what the author wants to convey. I guess only time to see if they fall by the way side or become very popular.

I have a friend that works for Sierra and I asked him about the .308 Game Changers for elk. He said they are a stouter constructed bullet than the Game Kings and recommended a couple of loads. He brought some prototypes on a deer hunt a couple of years ago and they performed well.

Thanks for the additional info @FLS I would love for Sierra to give more details and insight to us consumers. I’d feel comfortable with these on deer-sized game, and wouldn’t NOT take a broadside shot at an elk with one, but will opt for stouter designs as long as I have a choice.

Hopefully I’ll get to test them out on elk. I’m taking my 308 loaded with Game changers West with me this fall. Tommy assured me they’re up to the task. I trust him 100%.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back