Shout Out to Alaska Airlines Counter Staff in Kodiak

TheGrayRider

Quick shout out to the great Alaska Airlines counter staff in Kodiak, Alaska. I flew back to the lower 48 some time ago with slightly overweight bags (>50 lbs). Maybe 3 lbs. over. They did NOT charge me the ridiculous overweight baggage fees. Many thanks. I will definitely fly Alaska Air again and recommend the same!

Well in this case a huge booooo to the Alaska airlines counter in Anchorage last year for making me take out my boots because one of my bags was 1lbs over weight.

In the ladies defense, the guy in front of me was being a huge POS so I think she was on her last nerve and I just got the brunt of her fury.

We also had great service from the crew in Kodiak last year. He let our tote of meat slide on overweight fees, and gave us a tip to try in Anchorage that saved us extra bag fees on two gun cases. Maybe he just felt sorry for us after we sat there for two days while flight after flight out was cancelled...

I really like the folks at the Kodiak airport and Alaska airlines as well. Very patient when the weather sucks, I got stuck 2 years ago for 2 extra days in August while fishing. Not only were the airline folks really good, but the local hotel was very easy to deal with too. They held my reservation until planes started getting in and out.

The only negative is the "remodel" they did to the airport a few years back...not sure that was a wise use of the limited space.

It seems to me, that once you leave Anchorage, the airlines become easier and easier to deal with. They "get it" when flying into the more remote places in Alaska. I'd rather be stuck in Kodiak, Nome, King Salmon, etc. etc. than Anchorage or any other big airport.

Ak travel is different - even in Anchorage, they realize that weather can trump schedules and most agents will work with you to make your flights in a timely fashion should you encounter a weather delay. AK Air deals with missed reservations (due to air taxis being grounded due to weather) on an almost daily basis in various hubs across the state, so their agents may be more forgiving when it comes to getting you boarded vs a small overweight on your checked bags.

They have a great staff at that facility. We had a LATE night after getting back into Kodiak from hunting and rolled into the airport less than 30 minutes before our flight was to depart. We had 16 checked bags counting all the meat boxes, camping gear, and a couple gun cases. Made it on our flight no problem thanks to those ladies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back