Shoulder Replacement

mrbluesky

I'm not sure if this has been covered before. If so, I apologize. My doctor has suggested shoulder replacement for my right arm. As a temporary solution, I received a cortisone shot about three months ago. I'm in my training regime for the upcoming season and I have a big problem pulling back my bow. It freaking sucks honestly. I was wondering if anyone on here has had shoulder replacement. I'm curious what the recovery time was and what kind of mobility you had afterwards. Could you pull back your bow without any issues? My bow is set at 70 lbs. They have a machine at the gym that simulates this movement and I can't full draw 50 pounds. The thought of my archery days being over is unsettling.

mrbluesky,

I have rehabbed hundreds of total shoulder replacements. Generally speaking, expectation is about 80% of normal mobility assuming everything goes well. Strength is typically somewhat less than that. This surgery is primarily done to decrease pain and provide "functional" mobility and strength. Functional most commonly refers to the ability to perform normal daily activities. Recovery for function is about 4-6 months.

Shooting a bow would be considered above and beyond "functional". I have seen several folks return to shooting. To my knowledge, they have not experienced a failure of the surgery. That said, it is really not a recommended activity. The shear forces across the prosthetic component are great and potentially could lead to failure. If it's my shoulder, I probably would not return to shooting a vertical bow. I am a bit conservative here as I have seen the consequences of prosthetic failure.

I think the most appropriate thing is to have a frank and honest discussion about this with your surgeon. Often times, they are so focused on helping you with the pain, they lose track of exactly what your desires and expectations are following surgery. If you put your trust in the surgeon's hands for the operation, you should also trust their advice for what you can and cannot do following.

Best of Luck, Lonnie

I know a guy who is in his late 70s. He does more in one day than most 30 year olds do. He just had his second shoulder replaced in January. He timed both of his shoulder surgeries for after trapping season. I talked to him about a week after his surgery and he was in the doghouse with his surgeon because he found out he was ice fishing just a few days after the surgery. Last time I talked to him he was trying to get me to help him trap beavers because he wasn’t quite strong enough to set a 330 conibear even with a setting tool. He plans on killing one more nice buck with his bow and then be done hunting. He’s had that goal every year I’ve known him and killed a nice buck every year too. I do know he has turned his bow down to as little as possible.

1st Seriously turn your bow down/BUY NEW 45 or 50#, hell 40# would do it.
I was forced to buy a new super smooth 50 # bow a few years ago.
Would that not help?
Sincerely,
Someone in a similar boat

My college roommate, who shot 10th in the nation in target, hunted with a 47# Black Widow Recurve. 40# would be fine for deer. So for compound, that would be ???, don't know but should be minimal.

Otherwise, maybe handgun if you like the sneaky up-close stuff. And I totally get the Zen of the full draw, having done it for 55 years.

It sounds like you have found your surgeon already, but if not and you want a world renown shoulder/elbow surgeon I can help an introduction to my brother David (Denver area). @Lonnie58 he did more shoulder replacement revisions than anyone in the US the last couple of years.

Clear communication with your doctor/physical therapist to explain your hopes for what your shoulder looks like post surgery/rehab is key to setting expectation levels of what it looks like to be you post surgery. And it sounds like a super good idea to lower your draw weight, and get a (legal) let-off as low as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back