Shoulder dents when resizing....

Horn Seeker

I've been reloading my 06' for 20 some years...and have never had this issue. I guess because of the steeper shoulder and not lubing quite right, I'm getting some dents in the shoulder of the 243 cases when resizing... I figured out the correct way to lube them and not get dents, I think, but my main question is, should I go ahead and load the ones with little dents in the shoulder?

Or will they come apart when shot or something? I figure the chamber will just fire form the thing back to normal, but I guess it could also split the case???

Thanks for your help!

Thats what I was thinking... they should be no prob to fire this time, but with the dents being crushed back into place maybe the shoulder neck will be prone to split... I'll mark them as throw aways after they get fired.

Unless someone else has some good info that says I should not risk firing them....

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I loaded them and they shot fine. I made sure to inspect them extra careful after but didnt find any issues.

What kind of lube and method do you guys use? I am a little lazy... I put the lube on my left hand thumb and index finger and just rub it on as I stick the shell in the holder... When I put a fresh dose on my fingers, I get too much on the case, but as a load a few it gets "just right".... Maybe I ought to buy a new lube pad and do it the way its supposed to be done... Like I said, NEVER had the prob with my 06'....

I use sizing wax. Never had a stuck case or a dented shoulder with it. Works well enough that I abandoned all the other lubes. It takes a little more time in terms of prep to wipe off the wax, but the cases fly through the die with very good results.

Shoot em up and don't worry about it. I have a couple 'cats that require sizing, and fire forming to get the shoulder in the right place. A few little dents isn't worth worring about. Highly doubt you'll run into splitting cases because of it.

Hornseeker, Load them and shoot them one time. It's the same as fire forming wildcat cases. Back your sizing die off 1/4 turn and see if the cases still dent. If they do, or if the cases don't fit, then do a mold of the chamber and check it to see if it's too long. It's been known to happen.

I use an RCBS case lube pad and RCBS Case Lube 2. If I put too much lube on the pad, it transfers to the brass and causes small dents too. I use it sparingly. Like everyone said, shoot 'em up! Just pay attention to the ones that were dented. I've never had problems.

Hornseeker, Load them and shoot them one time. It's the same as fire forming wildcat cases. Back your sizing die off 1/4 turn and see if the cases still dent. If they do, or if the cases don't fit, then do a mold of the chamber and check it to see if it's too long. It's been known to happen.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The dents don't cause any problems. I have had a lot of them over my years at the reloading bench.

Hornady One Shot is the only way to lube. That old-fashioned greasy stuff doesn't cut it anymore.

I have found the best way to lube cases is to place them all in a gallon ziploc, and give about 2 ten second shots of hornady spray lube into it. Shake them around and they are all lubed. I use the RCBS lube pad to just touch the mouth of the case on before sizing. Pretty dang easy and less mess than using the case lube pad for everything IMO.

I use dillon spray lube It is more forgiving than the one shot, don't bother to try the cabelas spray lube it is worthless. i use RCBS lube on the inside of the neck on every tenth case

I use dillon spray lube It is more forgiving than the one shot, don't bother to try the cabelas spray lube it is worthless. i use RCBS lube on the inside of the neck on every tenth case.

My dad uses the spray lube too, I think the Hornady stuff. He's been on my arse to change for the last few years. But I still have a half a tube of the RCBS lube so I'll stick with it until it's empty. The spray looks easier and much nicer...I guess I'm just to cheap to throw away the stuff I've got since it still works just fine. Maybe next year...depending on how much reloading I do between now and then.

I use dillon spray lube It is more forgiving than the one shot, don't bother to try the cabelas spray lube it is worthless. i use RCBS lube on the inside of the neck on every tenth case

I do the same only more frequently on the neck lubing. Then I use a small wire basket I fabricated from 1/4" hardware cloth and stand all the brass neck down in the basket, close the top and put it on the top drawer of the dishwasher so the spinning jets shoot up into the open end. Best cleaning I've ever had.

Dented resized shoulders is an indication of too much lube. With that said - when was the last time you disassembled and cleaned your sizing die? Some lubes have a tendency to build up with time and one place it likes to do that is in your die. I have seen the inside of a die that had built up lube turn almost green.

The second thing you might investigate is the speed and consistancy of operating your press handle downward stroke. Slow, easy and consistent speed often solves a lot of problems.

The dents in the shoulders will not hurt a thing - shoot 'em and move on. Nothing more than fire forming.

I use One Shot. I hit the casings when they are all in the block. It is fast.

Cowboy makes me want to check my dies for build up. It is a good thing to be aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back