Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Should ya, Would ya, Could ya - Bear Den

That bear isn't really "denned" IMO. Its hunting for one, but I would presume still wide awake and aware.

Many bears are shot just out of their dens here in the spring. Guys with planes will fly until they see dirt on the snow (Many guided hunts are done like this, especially those late March and April bears that are shot). They'll circle and see if the bear is there and size it up. If its worth it, land on skis and snow shoe over. Many times when the bears come out of hibernation, they will hang around the den for a few days, using it to sleep as they are waking up. They're super groggy and not really aware of what's going on. I think its gay as F to fly and spot animals.

Seems like people get pretty triggered regardless of how a bear is taken. I probably would of done the same thing. Sat outside the den and called and if I shot him I would of told people “I shot a bear while elk hunting.”

I would have done the same thing except I probably wouldn't have followed it as far as you did. I have trouble getting excited about bears, but I think XL ones are pretty cool.

If it's legal, I'd definitely go back. I don't see any ethical issue with it. Not like you're shooting it in its den. You're coaxing it out for a shot. Not much different than stalking an elk that's bedded down!

I know the question is about morals/ethics and not laws. But it is illegal in Colorado.

"No person shall hunt, take or harass a bear in its den."

The regulation was adopted after Richard Kendall's infamous hunt.
Interesting read. The fact that Colorado would make that illegal is also interesting. I wonder what the actual resourse impact of those crawling into a cave to shoot a black bear during open season is compared to those baiting, shooting a duck on water, ground pounding a grouse, jumping out of a truck and hurdling a fence 10 yards away to gun down a deer, elk, sheep, etc.

The thought of what would it be like to shoot an animal sleeping at close range was something I’d been thinking about for a few weeks. Honestly have not ever thought about it before.

I know the question is about morals/ethics and not laws. But it is illegal in Colorado.

"No person shall hunt, take or harass a bear in its den."

The regulation was adopted after Richard Kendall's infamous hunt.

That sure is an interesting article. I'll admit it makes me feel bad for the guy.

"Kendall contends the agency misrepresented the facts of the investigation in the media.

“Randy Hampton, on TV says, ‘Well, this bear was sleeping and hibernating,’” Kendall recalls. “How does he know? He’s never even talked to me. It wasn’t sleeping. It wasn’t hibernating. It had been out the whole week before, every single day. I had seen its tracks every day. A hibernating bear doesn’t come out of the den.”

Kendall says his hunt was no different from other forms of hunting. “When you tree a bear, is it not cornered? You’re damn right it is. When you back it into a ledge of rock, is it not cornered?

“They’re saying this is unethical, but what’s ethical about treeing a lion or bear and shooting it?"

IMO he has a real good point.

That sure is an interesting article. I'll admit it makes me feel bad for the guy.

"Kendall contends the agency misrepresented the facts of the investigation in the media.

“Randy Hampton, on TV says, ‘Well, this bear was sleeping and hibernating,’” Kendall recalls. “How does he know? He’s never even talked to me. It wasn’t sleeping. It wasn’t hibernating. It had been out the whole week before, every single day. I had seen its tracks every day. A hibernating bear doesn’t come out of the den.”

Kendall says his hunt was no different from other forms of hunting. “When you tree a bear, is it not cornered? You’re damn right it is. When you back it into a ledge of rock, is it not cornered?

“They’re saying this is unethical, but what’s ethical about treeing a lion or bear and shooting it?"

From what I read -Kendal is not a bad guy, and did nothing unethical.

If you have the balls (or lack of brains) to crawl into a den after a 700lb bear, I say cool, and go for it.

Last edited:
Going into the den would be a game time call for me, cause if it went wrong it's sketchy territory (understatement), I'd have to be feeling it. Actually pulling the trigger might be too, just depending on the presentation.

No ethical issues here, I grew up on Corbett's stories of tracking big cats to their beds and shooting them point blank before they could wake up. I've shot more than a few bedded deer, no qualms. Agree that the real effect on the population in our area would be way less than a rounding error.

I’d have to be damn certain it was indeed a black bear and not a grizzly. Which I am sure you are then if in your shoes I’d go back just for something to do being you have your other tags taken care of.

Back