Should I stop in SD when I'm driving west?

seigeto

Was thinking of stopping in South Dakota this fall, when I'm on route to Wyoming. Figured I could maybe have a break from the car/driving and do a little public land/access land hunt and see if I could kick up a few birds. I don't have a dog, nor have I ever been pheasant hunting. Just seemed like it could be a nice break given time isn't an issue and the licensing is relatively inexpensive. Is this a good idea? Haven't really looked into it at all yet as I'm still finalizing my mule deer/antelope hunt plans.

Absolutely!!! Tons of info on the gfp website for public land access. Bird hunting is tougher on public, but there are still birds out there. When are you coming thru and what part are you traveling thru?

I would do it. for a first timer I would recommend the following game plan:
Stop somewhere around the Chamberlain area, highest bird concentration in the state. Since you don't have a dog, and I assume you will be alone while walking, I would avoid most public pieces and just walk road ditches. In SD it is legal to walk the road ditches with a few limitations. Mainly can't be within 220 yards of an occupied building or livestock.

Ditches has the advantage of being pushed by a single person without having to worry about the pheasants running around you and laughing at you (been there done that...)

I lived in South Dakota from 0-18, joined the army, got out lived there from 29-32. Never hunted pheasants, seemed way to social for my liking, first one I saw I was probably 16 or there about s in an archery only area in spearfish. If you want to know where some grouse are relatively close to rapid I could possibly help. Pm me if you’d like. SD prairie goat has some good advice.
Zach

Yeah you can hunt between roadways. It doesn't matter if they are paved or not. It is a pretty nice thing that SD does for the non-landowner crowd. I highly recommend it.

There are plenty of roosters to be had around Lake Oahe! Without a dog, I like to zig zag while walking through the brush. SoDak bird hunting is a lot of fun. As far as price goes, it's pretty standard at $100 NR and you choose two, seven day, periods to hunt.

I would do it. for a first timer I would recommend the following game plan:
Stop somewhere around the Chamberlain area, highest bird concentration in the state. Since you don't have a dog, and I assume you will be alone while walking, I would avoid most public pieces and just walk road ditches. In SD it is legal to walk the road ditches with a few limitations. Mainly can't be within 220 yards of an occupied building or livestock.

Ditches has the advantage of being pushed by a single person without having to worry about the pheasants running around you and laughing at you (been there done that...)
That’s super interesting - totally going to look into this more!

That was my thought also when I was headed to my 'Lope hunt in Wy, but the season dates just didn't match up. Maybe next time. :(

That was my thought also when I was headed to my 'Lope hunt in Wy, but the season dates just didn't match up. Maybe next time. :(

Ya, I'm going on my lope hunt a bit later because of work commitments, so all works out for me this time around.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back