Caribou Gear

Shotgun fitment

beginnerhunter

So I'm looking at 2 Semiauto shotguns right now. $250 difference in price.

Cheaper gun is lighter weight and would be preferable to me. HOWEVER, when I shoulder it, I have to mash my cheek onto the stock to look down the barrel. Like my eye is naturally high looking down onto the rib. LOP 14 1/4", Drop at heel 2", drop at comb 1 1/4"

The more expensive gun shoulders much more naturally. But it's more expensive and heavier. LOP 14 3/8", Drop at heel 2", drop at comb 1 1/2"

My thinking is that adding a thicker limbsaver pad to the cheaper gun would move my face further toward the heel therefore lowering my eye relative to the front sight. Otherwise I could shim it to increase the drop at the comb. But if it doesn't work I'm stuck with a gun that doesn't fit correctly.

I know, BOCO. But it's a little trickier because I actually like some features better on the cheaper gun (weight, cerakoted barrel and receiver, reviews). So what should I do?

PS I intentionally left the models out of the conversation to avoid bias, please do not sleuth to find them out lol).

So I'm looking at 2 Semiauto shotguns right now. $250 difference in price.

Cheaper gun is lighter weight and would be preferable to me. HOWEVER, when I shoulder it, I have to mash my cheek onto the stock to look down the barrel. Like my eye is naturally high looking down onto the rib. LOP 14 1/4", Drop at heel 2", drop at comb 1 1/4"

The more expensive gun shoulders much more naturally. But it's more expensive and heavier. LOP 14 3/8", Drop at heel 2", drop at comb 1 1/2"

My thinking is that adding a thicker limbsaver pad to the cheaper gun would move my face further toward the heel therefore lowering my eye relative to the front sight. Otherwise I could shim it to increase the drop at the comb. But if it doesn't work I'm stuck with a gun that doesn't fit correctly.

I know, BOCO. But it's a little trickier because I actually like some features better on the cheaper gun (weight, cerakoted barrel and receiver, reviews). So what should I do?

PS I intentionally left the models out of the conversation to avoid bias, please do not sleuth to find them out lol).
I suspect that with shims, spacers and new pads, you could get a stock to fit how you want. Does the cheaper one come with shims?
Having a shotgun that actually fits you correctly is a revalation. I'm actually looking at some 12 gauge semiautos right now, too. I want one that fits like my 20 gauge does. It's pretty wild when you stop aiming and start hitting.

I suspect that with shims, spacers and new pads, you could get a stock to fit how you want. Does the cheaper one come with shims?
Having a shotgun that actually fits you correctly is a revalation. I'm actually looking at some 12 gauge semiautos right now, too. I want one that fits like my 20 gauge does. It's pretty wild when you stop aiming and start hitting.
Yes it does come with shims.

Exactly, that's why I'm so hesitant to... pull the trigger.😉🙄

Fit first - (whether out of the box or after adjustment). FYI - some modern semiautos allow for very little cast on/off adjustment so I wouldn't assume the provided shims will always work.

Close your eyes. Bring the shotgun up to where it is comfortable. Open your eyes. If you arnt looking directly down the barrel, put it back on the shelf and choose another...

You will shoot better with a gun that fits you out of the box than any gun you have to shim and adjust.....If its a Rem870 that fits, thats your gun....

Benelli does have shims that work well.....but I dont condone that manufacturer.

Close your eyes. Bring the shotgun up to where it is comfortable. Open your eyes. If you arnt looking directly down the barrel, put it back on the shelf and choose another...

You will shoot better with a gun that fits you out of the box than any gun you have to shim and adjust.....If its a Rem870 that fits, thats your gun....

Benelli does have shims that work well.....but I dont condone that manufacturer.
Ironically, the SBE2 fits me really well.

If they both come with shims, you can probably make both fit you. And if they don't have enough shim, there are likely some options for custom shim kits. For example, my waterfowl gun is an A400 and I needed a custom shim plate to get the amount of drop that I need.

If they both come with shims, you can probably make both fit you. And if they don't have enough shim, there are likely some options for custom shim kits. For example, my waterfowl gun is an A400 and I needed a custom shim plate to get the amount of drop that I need.
One challenge is for those who need a lot of cast, it is not the lack of shims that is the problem, it is having enough lateral movement with the stock bolt before it hits the stock walls. Modern over-engineered stocks have seemed to make this even worse. Not saying it won't work for OP, just making sure he realizes some SAs won't fit some shooters without bending or replacing the stock. But in OPs case, if some factory fits fine then he is probably within simple tweaking range.

Whats your height/weight/shirt size/sleeve length basic build

I'd buy the gun that fits better. If there is question about the shims doing the trick, see if the gun shop will alter them for you and let you try it.

I'd buy the gun that fits better. If there is question about the shims doing the trick, see if the gun shop will alter them for you and let you try it.
I hadn't thought about that. But given how easily guns are selling, they may laugh at me. Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask.

5'9" 165 M 32-33".
what looks good and feels good is great as far as shotgun fit is concerned. However, most shooters even many shooters who have hunted for years and shot thousands of rounds but are not a competitive shotgun sports enthusiasts have a poor or inconsistent gun mount. You need a consistent gun mount to be really fine tuned on fit. Im sure most guns will fit you with little or minimal maybe even no adjustment. Many shooters like their gun to shoot high and the benefits of not blocking the view of the target with a gun that shoots a little high ex trap guns helps some shooters. Get the gun that feels good and start shooting. Maybe even go to a local sporting clays course and take some lessons, lots of fun to be had and lots to learn.

Sorry. How round/fat is your face? If you have a round face, you will likely need more cast off.
Oh ok gotcha. I think I'm pretty round. So that would make sense. Pretty sure the shim kit does allow you to alter the cast so that would be another consideration.

Basically it just comes down to how confident I feel I can make the cheaper gun fit and learn to use it. And how much I want to spend on a 20 gauge that may or may not replace my 12 gauge as my primary waterfowl gun.

I wouldn't buy the lighter/cheaper gun without being certain the shims will get you where you need to go . . . fit is everything in a system without a rear sight. I'm with JLS about asking the gun shop to adjust the fit before making a decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back