PEAX Equipment

Shot a Huge one in MT!

schmalts

It was a brutal 4 days to sit in a blind on a water hole. No one can control the weather so what can you do but make the best of it. Thursday I sat there all day just to keep the blind from turning into a tumbleweed. Never saw a lope from the blind. Friday was a little better, and actually had one brave doe ignore the flapping and shaking blind and come and drink. I had a buck and doe come close but decided they did not like the flapping blind and went around the dike. It was very warm that day and I was stripped down to the minimum required clothes when they came by and when they went behind the dike I ran out there hoping to shoot one on the other side. I get out there on the dike and they were 40 yards out going down the canyon. I knew I had a chance if i hauled ass around and got in front of them while they fed on the green grass in the bottom of the canyon. I took off on a half circle to get in front of them to be reminded that there is little cactus out there and bare feet in not a good thing...:eek: anyway, It all worked out until they got 40 yard broadside and i stood up for the shot and they blew out of there as they saw me:(
Later that day the big buck looked like he was coming in, but into a spot neither me or Miller thought anything would come and the blind had no window to shoot in that area of the water. My only chance was to shoot as they crossed the fence and made the 40 yards to the water. he was really Leary of the blind so i tried to draw just as he got to the fence and he busted out and ran out to about 60 yards. I was full draw, put the 40 yard pin above his back a little and let one go to a loud WHAP!!.... see the picture of my trophy, it is the biggest thing I ever shot in Montana....
The next few days was windy, or rainy, or cold windy and rainy, or anything but good water hole weather. Only had one little 6 inch buck come and water but I was not going to shoot that.
Sunday I had some good entertainment. A ground squirrel near my blind was hunting and doing well. With the wind and cold the locust were hiding in the grass clumps and he rooted around until one hopped out and like a lightning bolt charged on them and ate them. Funny to watch and kept me entertained for a good while. Here is a few pictures including my squirrel buddy, and my big kill:rolleyes: All in all It was a good hunt as any time spent away from work is a good hunt and I did have a couple close calls. I will try again in a couple weeks between elk hunts.
SANY0002.jpg

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0013.jpg

SANY0007.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

Nice pics schmalts. It's funny how you try and keep yourself entertained when you're in the blind. I had a bunch of baby quail that kept me from going insane.

Nice pics Schmalts. Sorry it didn't work out with the weather.

Axl misses you, or so it appears. He has been running around with a jar of peanut butter.hump

Nice pics schmalts. It's funny how you try and keep yourself entertained when you're in the blind. .

I won't mention how Miller keeps himself occupied:rolleyes:
Anyway, give me a couple days and I will post a video of the hunting squirrel. He was really funny, and a damn good hunter! When those hoppers jumped out of the weeds he was so fast and on top of them in a flash that I could never keep him in the viewfinder!
Had a little raptor hang out in the grass a couple hours as well, i will post pictures later. Miller will have to help me on the name, i thought he said it was a peregrine falcon (spelling)

Thanks for the pics. Good luck next time.

Miller, what's the yellow-flowered weed in front of the fawn antelope?

No, in the foreground of the photo. It's Asteraceae, but can't tell if it's a thistle or maybe gumweed or groundsel?

Thanks for the pics. Good luck next time.

Miller, what's the yellow-flowered weed in front of the fawn antelope?
Grindelia squarrosa. Not unusual to find where livestock congregate. I was nice and made sure some of it was in Schmalt's blind. I figured with his bare feet he would have mentioned something about it.:D:D

Ahhh...

I see what you mean...

That stuff's edible, tastes like a peppery carrot, not to bad, the roots taste the same...

Sounds delicious.

Curlycup gumweed is unpalatable to cattle, sheep, and horses, though sheep will occasionally crop flower heads in the absence of other forage. Tannins, volatile oils, resins, bitter alkaloids, and glucosides give it an unpleasant taste. If curlycup gumweed is consumed, it may lead to poisoning due to the selenium the plant can accumulate. It is resistant to grazing and drought.

American Indians used the gummy secretions of curlycup gumweed to relieve asthma, bronchitis, and colic. Pawnee Indians boiled leaves and flowering tops to treat saddle sores and raw skin. Today, medicinal uses include treatment of bronchial spasm, whooping cough, asthma, and rashes caused by poison ivy. Curlycup gumweed extract is valuable as a stimulant, sedative, astringent, purgative, emetic, diuretic, antiseptic, and disinfectant.

I tagged mine too!

It seems to be going around this year...everybody is tagging a blind. They tend to be a little chewy and bitter in flavor sometimes with a hence of sage. Maybe we should start a BLIND HUNTING forum.

AFjack, I got one already and really dont feel like shooting another. They are one of those "once in a lifetime" hunts I guess so I don't think a forum is needed

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back