Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

shortages

old man

Are your stores running out of gun, ammo and reloading supplies like they are here in Connecticut?

yes...it's not a shortage it's graduated into people hoarding. It's been happening every 4 years since 2008.

I will admit that I do tell people when buying a new rifle to buy several boxes of ammo when they may usually just buy a box or to buy a "rifle's lifetime" of reloading supplies.
I hope you are right, I am afraid it is people getting ready to defend themselves.

4 boxes of 308 was all the rifle ammo that was on the shelves at Academy sports when I was there today! Crazy low supply!

Ammo has been nearly non existent here since March or so. If a major even goes left in 3 weeks, you may as well change the title to “extinct” instead of a “shortage” bc it will be so hard to come by.

Everything has been picked over pretty well for months but just last week I started finding a lot of reloading supplies on the shelves again. I can find just about any powder, primers and bullets between 3 shops around me. Hopefully the other stuff starts showing back up on shelves soon.

Yes. My local sporting goods store was out of my rifle, waterfowl loads, and muzzle loader bullets. Said to buy them when you see them. They weren't sure when they'd be getting more. I found some at Sportsmen Warehouse. I just bought for the season and not for the apocalypse, so hopefully other hunters can get some too.

Yup. same deal in SD. Powder can still be had depending on type. Primers gone, AR calibers gone, almost all Pistol gone except the ones running $2+ a shot.

I'm a professional shooter and it's been tough to get components too. Good thing I have a years supply. Many of the matches the round counts have been lowered so people can continue to compete. Most of the AR shooters clear their guns and leave the round on the ground. Over the years I've picked them up at matches and had over 700 I've been using. Funny thing is that since they are worth over a dollar apiece no one leaves them on the ground anymore. LOL
Talking to new gun owners they all think they'll have to go to war soon. People with no experience, scared, with deadly force. Great. LOL

Can’t even find .22 ammo here in NE WI. Cabelas had 8 boxes of 300 rounds a couple months ago. I bought 6 of them and don’t know why I didn’t buy them all because I haven’t seen .22 ammo since (other than a few boxes here and there of small qty performance ammo).

Local gunsmith sourced several thousand rounds of 9mm ammo from down south a couple weeks ago to sell. Completely sold out in a day.

I should post a pic of the empty ammo shelves...

I stopped by a local wholesaler/distributor on Friday here in central PA.
Zero magnum primers.
Ditto Ballistic Tips in 25 caliber and 7mm.
They did have pistol bullets, ABLRs, Bergers & Lapuas.
They had just received a shipment of powder. Mostly shotgun/pistol.
Still no RL26.
I did get 1 of the 3 bottles they had of RL23.

I'm lucky enough to have enough reloading supplies on hand for calibers I reload with. Only rounds I have for my 9mm are my personal defense rounds. Luckily a couple weeks ago I was on a fishing trip and went into a Reeds and they had a shelf full so I picked up a couple boxes so I have some on hand again.

I've been watching this ammo-pocalypse as a sort of twisted hobby since March. I only got into hunting in 2013, right smack in the middle of the Obama Ammo Shortage. Fortunately, that shortage did not affect centerfire hunting ammo to any serious degree. I also swore "never again", so I am personally well-positioned to ride out this shortage.

What I saw here (New Hampshire) is that .380 ACP and .38 Special went first - pretty much gone by May. I felt like a sucker paying $299 for a case of Fiocchi .380 ACP. That same case is going for $800 today, if you can find it. This supports the theory that it is first-time buyers driving the shortage.

Soon afterward the 9mm, 5.56 and the most popular handgun cartridges became scarce. Many people think this stuff went first, but that simply isn't true.

By August, the less-popular handgun cartridges started getting dear - .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 Sig. Today they seem just as hard to get as the others.

I was hoping that hunting ammo would be spared, but as we all know, that didn't happen either. Today, its hard to find .308 hunting ammo. Many sites have plenty of the FMJ stuff, but the hunting rounds? Forget it. 270 Winchester held out longer than the others, but that too is now hard to come by.

I was loading up on Core Lokts from Wal Mart, which for a time seemed safe, but those too seem to be gone.

One thing I suspect is true nationwide is that its easier (and cheaper) to buy ammo locally than through the mail. Mail order stores seem to be quite bare, and when they get some, the prices are insane.

My local store, when it gets some, is selling 9mm Blazer Brass for $19/box. By today's standards, that's cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back