Yeti GOBOX Collection

Shopping for a Rifle

The 6.5 cm due to low recoil and it primarily destined for deer. Ammo is super available, and you can get it in almost any rifle. It’s also commonly very accurate. I have a Tikka T3x Veil, and it is an amazing rifle. I’ve killed 5 deer in the last 3 years with it. All have died with one shot from a range of 80 yards to 360.

If you’re serious about elk then I’d bump to 308 or 7mm-08. I like the 7mm-08 a bit better for recoil, but the 308 is the most popular round on the market. Rifles in the 7 are limited and ammo is in the moderate range of availability. If someone sells ammo they sell 308.

The standard action cartridges? I’d go 270, 25-06, & then the 30-06.

Also, are you a reloader? This could really make a difference.

Last edited:
6.5 creed would be my first choice given your parameters. 7mm-08 is good as well. 270 if you want a little more juice. I wouldn't get a magnum. The 7mm-08 is a little harder to find ammo for than the other two. I really like the creedmoor. It's one of my favorite cartridges. Accurate, mild recoil, generally available, efficient. I've had good results on deer with it. Haven't tried it on elk but should be fine with a good bullet and reasonable distance.

If the gun is going to be secured to the chair in any meaningful way get whatever caliber you want from that list, it'll be fine.

Don't forget that most common calibers have low recoil ammo available for them.
Inside of 300 yards I'd be comfortable using the low recoil ammo on everything but bull elk.
Of the listed choices I'd go 7mm-08 or one of the 6.5's.

You state, "maybe Elk". Knowing that, anything you listed will take deer, 'lope, etc. Factor in that hunters have been taking Elk with the 243 and 270 for decades and you should be able to do that too. There are better, more accurate, more modern loads (bullets, in particular) for those calibers too. In the lighter shooting calibers, you might find a copper bullet will fit your needs best. Look at Nozler E-Tips, Hornady CX (superformance load), Federal Trophy Copper, Barnes LRX. They will retain mass well and are typically chosen at a lighter weight than their lead-based cousins.

Another option: Get your non-Elk set-up established and then {gasp} shop for an Elk gun later, if that is something you decide to pursue. You could then go with the lightest option in 243/6mm for the lowest recoil, etc. for deer, 'lopes, etc. Two guns is NOT a bad option.

It sounds like you are enjoying the decision-making process! Thanks for sharing, so I could play along.

You state, "maybe Elk". Knowing that, anything you listed will take deer, 'lope, etc. Factor in that hunters have been taking Elk with the 243 and 270 for decades and you should be able to do that too. There are better, more accurate, more modern loads (bullets, in particular) for those calibers too. In the lighter shooting calibers, you might find a copper bullet will fit your needs best. Look at Nozler E-Tips, Hornady CX (superformance load), Federal Trophy Copper, Barnes LRX. They will retain mass well and are typically chosen at a lighter weight than their lead-based cousins.

Another option: Get your non-Elk set-up established and then {gasp} shop for an Elk gun later, if that is something you decide to pursue. You could then go with the lightest option in 243/6mm for the lowest recoil, etc. for deer, 'lopes, etc. Two guns is NOT a bad option.

It sounds like you are enjoying the decision-making process! Thanks for sharing, so I could play along.

Waiting on @mtmuley to mention Hammers… which I am loving. You have to hand load of course.

Interesting thread. Short term based on what I see for available ammo and what you listed and in order of my preference, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08 and then lastly .243. Not listed, the .308. If you reload anything you are comfortable with when you shoot.

out of that list, l would look at the 7mm-08, if you want to get off the list, a 270 winchester is awesome, my wife is very small build and her 270 treats her just right. lf it were me, l would steer clear of the 6.5 creedmore. if you want to have a 6.5 caliber look hard at the 6.5-284 norma.

Tikka t3 in 7mm08. Doesn’t weigh a lot. Very low recoil. The cost is great for the quality of gun you’re getting. It’s enough bullet for a deer or elk. Heck @Big Fin killed a moose with a 7mm08 last year. I have a friend with an early teen daughter who is very slim. I recommend a 7mm08 and she shot it with no issues.
I second that. Tikka T3x lite or superlite in 7mm-08. 6lb rifle and a great round for deer and elk.

blacksheep

I honestly feel like the recoil of .243, .308, and 6.5 are almost identical. In fairness, I only own one .243 and it's a doodoo Tikka so there's that... But 308 & 6.5 I have numerous platforms and I can't tell the difference in recoil.

9 posts to go

Boy scratching my head with this one. Paralized, wheel chair bound and limited strength, wow! Not sure what paralized means, can you use your arms alright? Limited strength means preferably lighter rifle for shooting although the wheel chair will probably carry more rifle than you'd want. Seems recoil will be a huge factor also. I've used a 308 for a lot of years and I'd rule it out right off. Guessing you might not like the recoil much. Case size and bullet weight are what will create recoil for you and about as good as your gonna do is probably gonna be a 243 maybe using a good 87 to 100 gr bullet. Less recoil with lighter bullet's! Normally I don't recommend a 243 for a deer rifle for anyone but, they will do the job. Just better options in my mind. You put a good 243 bullet in the right spot and most anything is going to fall down! To the OP I'd say 243! Little light for elk but then I assume there would be special stuff considering the disability. Blind with a shooting rest would be nice and limit range to where you could hit a silver dollar every time.

As for a rifle, boy I don't like this. I do not care for plastic stocks but have to admit for reducing weight they beat wood! I have a Rem 700 ADL that was a gift years ago that seems it was very light; I've changed out the stock for wood. another problem I had with it was it had about the worst bedding I've ever seen, terrible shooter. But I took it all apart and completely re-bedded it and it shoots great. If you got one like that you might have to have it done. have a Mossberg Patriot I got with a plastic stock that shot very well in it, but have changed it to wood also. The patriot and that Rem 700 are the only two rifles I've ever had with plastic stocks. Like to think other's would be light too but don't know. Keep in mind that as rifle weight goes down, recoil will go up some. It will need sight's and perhaps a scope will work best for you. Don't get crazy with power. I hunted a lot of years with a fixed 2 3/4x and fixed 4x scope and shot a lot and neither ever left me wanting. About scope weight we are usually not talking much but the size of the scope will change handling some. 4x is very nice but nothing handles like any rifle I've had my 2 3/4x on. If you simply can't do without a variable, I'd suggest you look at 2-7x scopes and plan on using them mostly on 2x. Seem's to me your situation is a special one, hope this helps some. You might see if you can find someone to let you try some different rifles and cartridges before you choose. What a lot of guy's tend to relate recoil to is what they can stand, then the 308 becomes pretty manageable. For myself with 165gr bullet's it certainly was but then I'm not paralized with limited strength. That just may enter into it.

ya know I suspect a sling would be a big help for you and I'd recommend a military sling. You do need to wrap an arm in it to use it well though. One I used years ago shooting small bore match might work ssome better. leather sling that attach's to your upper arm and a metal block where the front sling swivel goes. The block is rounded and smoother and your hand slides up behind it with the front of the sling attached to the block. Your hand push's against the block and tightens to sling, very steady for shooting. Military sling does about the same but simply not quite as well.

Good luck to you, hope you do well!

Thought. If you are paralyzed, I assume you will be hunting from a wheelchair. Why light weight rifle? A heavy rifle will soak up recoil. You can set up a shooting rest in your chair.

I
Backstory
I am paralyzed and wheelchair bound. My strength is limited and could use a little guidance.

I am looking for a hunting rifle that has low recoil and can still be powerful enough to drop a deer and possibly an elk. If it is also lightweight thats a huge plus. I have done a little research and found some possibilities. If anyone has experience with any of these please let me know good/bad. Also some that ive found are just prefered rounds to use, what would be a good gun to use with that round that fits what im looking for. I think im leaning toward a 25-06 or one of the 6.5. But im looking forward to the input i get here. Thanks everyone.

.243 Winchester
6.5-284 Norma
7mm-08 Remington
6.5 Creedmoor
.240 Weatherby Magnum
.25-06 Remington
.260 Remington
Savage Arms 16/116 6.5X284 Norma Trophy Hunter XP 4-Round 24" Bolt Action Rifle
I hunt with a 6.5x284. I love it. Good diversity of bullet weight. If you can find someone that reloads your life will be much easier as ammo can be difficult to find. Started my daughter on 7mm-08. She outgrew the youth rifle and bought a 6.5 Creedmore. Anyone of those would be great choice in my opinion.

Back