Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Shooting Glasses

ammo

Does anyone wear shooting glasses while in the field? I was into trap/skeet for awhile so I got into the habit of wearing my shooting glasses when out hunting but alas I lost my nice pair hunting on Maui a month ago. My last pair was WileyX which were great because they were free but now I need a new pair and probably won't go with them again. They were ok.

My dad swears by Decot https://www.decot.com but couldn't find any threads with you gearheads on here lauding their praises.

Questions - if you wear shooting glasses, what do you like for dawn/dusk specifically?
Anything you like that will take a prescription (for the husband unit)?
Anyone on here also swear by Decot? High price tag but nice product.

I just bought a pair of Leupold shooting glasses. Haven’t had enough time with them to comment specifically, but I do intend to use the yellow lenses for upland birds hunting on overcast days.

I wear prescription glasses, and have to wear safety glasses for work. I usually stick with Oakley frames because they are all Z87 rated. Just sucks to buy sunglasses, then have to swap out the nice lenses for mid-shelf prescription lenses.

I have never worn shooting glasses in the field while hunting. I depend too much on color while scanning for animals and any type of shading changes things up too much for me. Even while driving around in the woods, I prefer to have my window down due to the color changes with the window tinting.

I have never worn shooting glasses in the field while hunting. I depend too much on color while scanning for animals and any type of shading changes things up too much for me. Even while driving around in the woods, I prefer to have my window down due to the color changes with the window tinting.
That really doesn't work for me. You can always find shooting glasses with neutral grey or clear lenses. I prefer my colors to be true, so I nearly always choose grey or clear lenses, but I'm not crazy enough to not use glasses at all. I've used up all my lucky rabbit feet long, long ago.

I have a friend that swears by Decot, and I would say they look very nice. I chose Ranger Edge glasses and multiple lenses in different colors corrections for different purposes. They stopped a .30-06 for me once. Ruined the lenses, but I can still see. Morgan Optical will talk with you about what you need and make helpful suggestions, and will retint lenses if they are too dark or too light when you get them. And prescription in any place on the lense is particularly helpful if you are a target shooter. Really nice folks.

There are lots of nicks from molten brass in these lenses that don't show up with all the powder fouling and some blood. But don't go hunting without them. Those are stick-on diaopter bifocals that I used in my early years. Now I have them ground into the lenses directly (MUCH better).
Glasses B small.jpg

Last edited:
I had a pair of amber lens shooting glasses made up. Almost never wear them. They were good for road trips in any weather. Didn't care for them shooting and didn't help my trap/skeet scores a bit. I DO NOT like the wrap around style. Not enough ventilation and they steam up when stalking in cold weather or very hot humid days. The old aviator style are best. Nose pads keep the glasses away from my face and allow for ventilation which minimizes fogging.

I always wore prescription glasses and can't count how many times the have saved my eyes from something. I got lasik this past winter and first thing I did was order Leupold shooting glasses. Can't remember the name but they are the ones that come with 3 different leases. Yellow, clear, and polarized sun. I wear them everyday.

I like the yellow safety glasses. To a degree.
During bright sunny days, they don't shade enough.
But otherwise, if there is something out in a field of green, you pick it out imediately!

Work has blue tinted safety glasses that i use for shooting also.
I've noticed they give more definition when trying to read & with scope reticles.

My prescription glasses have transition lenses. Never again.
I'd rather put shaded lenses on regular glasses when i need them. The trasition lenses darken when i want more light.

Still haven't found the perfect lens coloring for all conditions.

Ended up getting the husband unit some gold lens decots, perscription and he is loving them. He's actually now wearing them while driving (kinda dorky lol). I just pulled the trigger and ordered myself a pair. I really like the gold for low light!

Ended up getting the husband unit some gold lens decots, perscription and he is loving them. He's actually now wearing them while driving (kinda dorky lol). I just pulled the trigger and ordered myself a pair. I really like the gold for low light!
I have a pair of amber shooting glasses that are great for driving road trips. Knocks the glare off but I can still see what's going on inside my vehicle or gas station. Unfortunately, someone talked me into ordering them without bifocal. Don't do that! I need to get that prescription updated anyway. Thanks for the reminder.

I use a clear lens on a pair of my Smith trail runners. They are stupid big, but they wrap around nice for clarity and it feels like there is nothing there

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back