sheep pack help

bfoster

I drew an area 5 Wyoming bighorn sheep tag, and I have a few questions for sheep hunters. What are some of the important things I need to throw in my pack? I have been elk hunting for years but never like this. I plan on hiking for a couple days just to get into sheep country. Then staying back there for a week. I just want to make sure I don't forget anything. Also, was wondering if anyone has some advice for a first time sheep hunter? I know the area for elk pretty well, but sheep are a different type if mountain hunting. We always see sheep while elk hunting, but I want to always see more. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the tag. Welcome to the site. Hope someone can provide some help to you. Given how hard the tags are to draw, it's hard to develop a lot of "expertise" on the species.

I've only taken been on a few sheep hunts/scouting trips as a tag-a-long; never had a tag so take my advice with a grain of salt...

1. What you take elk hunting (in your pack), IME, should more than suffice for sheep. The only thing I can think of that I wouldn't take for elk that I would for sheep is as good a spotting scope as you can afford. My elk hunts to this point have been in general units so bino's provide all the trophy judging that I need.

2. Bring a different mindset. In my limited exposure to sheep hunting, it's a whole lot more glassing and bit less moving to find critters. One hunt I went on we saw relatively little game compared to a typical elk hunt. It can make it harder to keep glassing daylight to dark if you're not seeing a whole lot of game.

Might get a few more responses if you post what you typically take with you. Otherwise we might be assuming things that you take stuff that we have on the AMEX list (never leave without) but you don't normally take.

Good luck and congrats on getting to go sheep hunting!

Pointers right on. Good optics and a good attitude! Find some good "lookout" spots to glass from, and glass till your eyes start to bleed. Then glass some more. Best of luck with your hunt.......you drew a good one. PM sent.

Last edited:
if you see sheep while elk hunting youre more than halfway there,,were they rams??

thanks

Yea but they were young rams. I just need to go higher and where there are no people. Thanks for all the advice guys

Take sunscreen and bug spray. Those are 2 things you don't often need on an elk hunt. Wet wipes also. You will be sitting out in the sun and wind for 12+ hours a day. Its easy to get really fried. If there are any high mtn lakes around mosquitoes can get bad as well.

What is your plan if you get one down?

If you're two days in you'll be that many coming out. Do you have a friend coming along, or horses lined up? Meat, horns and cape will be 90-100lbs. Two guys, one sheep, no problem. Solo... be prepared to make two trips, or be in good enough shape to pack it all in one.

Have you backpack hunted before?

Contingency plan for your cape if its 80 degrees out? Salt, Stop Rot, Taxidermy Trophy Care (TTC) or ? What about the meat?

Do you know how to cape/flesh? A replacement cape will run you $1500+. If you can get it out within a couple days of being killed and the weather is cool it will be fine. Don't put the cape in a plastic bag... unless it salted and dried.

A few things I always bring...

-A couple quality game bags, one for meat one for cape.
-package or two of citric acid for the meat (keeps bacteria growth down)
-Gaiters and trekker poles.
-piece of foam for a butt pad while glassing
-a bino/tripod attachment

Good luck on your hunt! Only 24 days before we head out to chase white sheep.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back