Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sheep boots...

Moosie

Grand poopa
Alright you Experts. Iasked the Question and Then Didn't listen to any one.

I loked at Asolo's, Danners, Meindls, and a few others.

that being said, I bought a pain of Montrail from REI.

A solid choice for hiking and backpacking, these waterproof, all-leather boots provide the support you need to tackle rugged terrain.
Supportive, durable, waterproof nubuck leather uppers are backed by Gore-Tex® linings for waterproof, breathable protection
Microporous rubber midsoles deliver long-lasting shock absorption
Full-length nylon boards with half steel shanks provide the right amount of flex and support underfoot
Aggressive Vibram® Explorer rubber outsoles offer excellent all-terrain traction
IntegraFit last design ensures comfortable, anatomically-shaped fit; bio-mechanically correct flex points; and firm, blister-preventing heel lock

Upper Nubuck
Lining 3-bar knit/Gore-Tex
Midsole Microporous rubber
Support Nylon board/steel shank
Outsole Vibram rubber
Average weight 3 lbs. 4 oz.

683191_113.JPG

HACK away at my desicion ... But I think I found some Good boots.

Better yet...tell us how much you like them when you get back from the Middle Fork.

Nothing like that steep assed country to stress test your boots.

I will tell you. I will say however, that SmartWool will separate my Feet from the Boots. At $16 a Pair I have more Money in socks then Boots :D :D

I'm guessing only a Fool would Argue the importance of good wool on the feet though ?

Between now and Then I have a Semi Test with a Pack on just t osee how they are in the Hills a bit. But I'll definately give a Report upon returning...

I did But them big Enough that When I step on an Incline down that my Toes do NOT hit the inside of the boot. I'm going for the NO BLKACK TOEnail look (Unlike T-bone last year ;) )

Originally posted by Moosie:
Alright you Experts. I asked the Question and Then Didn't listen to any one. :rolleyes:
I loked at Asolo's, Danners, Meindls, and a few others.

that being said, I bought a pain of Montrail from REI.
fight.gif

HACK away at my desicion ... But I think I found some Good boots.
Ummmmm.... who was the brilliant person that just suggested you go over to REI and look at their boots???? :cool:

And I like the "Freudian" slip of buying a "pain" of boots... :eek:
chicken.gif

Looking at boots online and in catalogs is a tough way to go. Hopefully by giving them a good test drive in the store, chasing the chick that works in the Paddling department
hump.gif
at REI got you a good enough trial to decided what you liked....

Like Buzz says, shows us the pictures of your feet on September 15, and we'll all know how your boots worked...

I just been over to Carterton today to look at those Asolo's for you, I won't bother to give you the rundown on them now :rolleyes:
hump.gif

Um by the way why is the graemlin Chicken called Mojave??

By the time you get finished with your hunt, those new boots of your's will be so shredded to chit, you'll be glad you purchased the Smartwool socks to get you the rest of the way home. I like the Smartwool as well as the Thorlos.

Shoulda gone with one of the Cabela's/Meindl's boots. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0005211810087a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat550012&podId=0005211&catalogCode=QR&parentId=cat55001 2&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20564&hasJS=true

I'm sure glad they came up with Asolos' and Mendiels.... Otherwise people that have been hunting the last 10 Thousand years would have never been successfull :D :D

Gunner, That was a Funny slip

Remember, you told us to hack away at your decision...
HACK away at my desicion ...

Besides, it isn't the Meindl's or Asolo's that are in question, it is the tennis shoes you just purchased. For how many thousands of years have people been taking sheep with those? :D

HEHE.. no I don't mind the hacking, I asumed more would have beside the few Peanuts that did....

One of my worry's on the Shoes it them not making the hunt due to Rocks cutting at them. We'll just have to See. I'll gladly admit they suck it they do. But if they don't, someone will have to come on this board and Admit that you don't need asolo's or meindls to kill a sheep

They'll do fine. You'll get some dirt inside when downhilling due to the low height. Other than that you'll be happy with them. You saw my new boots after 3 weeks of that country! Into the garbage they went.

Moosie, are you going for a trail walk eating granola, or are you going sheep hunting?? :rolleyes:
I agree with ovis, sheep terrain will eat those boots alive.
My expert advice
is to get boots with a lot more ankle support, whatever brand fits you the best. all the top name boots are good, it's a matter of how they fit your feet.
Ken

Look at it this way moosie, if any of those sheep want to start a pickup game of basketball, you will be prepared.

I've never seen iverson or garnett wearing a pair of Asolos or Meindls!

Seriously though Moosie, are you going to chance a once in a lifetime sheep hunt on cheap footwear? If you can drive all night to SLC to buy a new truck, most certainly you can justify a couple hundred bones to put proper footwear on your paws. With everything else your buying and all the money you're spending on this hunt...

And at 3lbs a piece, there not the lightest air jordans on the planet!

Seriously though Moosie, are you going to chance a once in a lifetime sheep hunt on cheap footwear?
The Answer is YES ..... I think It would work or else I wouldn't have bought them. If They don't work I will truely tell you what didn't work and Take pictures. If they do work, I'd like to see someone step up to the plate and admit that you don't need "Asolos or Meindls" to kill a sheep ;)

Moosie,
A pair of White's wood be my choice.
You don't have much time to break 'em in however.
D&B in town sells them.
Thousands of loggers can't be wrong.
I'm on my second "rebuild" on my pair.
WD

Moosie,

I have a pair of those same boots for my "light" boots and they are excellent, but I don't use them if I know I am going to be on rough rock all day. Not only for rock cuts, but to avoid a twisted ankle. But, I also know 2 others who use them for hunting in north ID and NW MT and love 'em. Personally, I would go with Meindles or Lowas for where you are going (I have been using Meindles for work and play in rough country for 8 years or so and I am sold on them. The Montrails will work - they just might be heavily "worn" afterwords (or maybe not, depends where you find the rams!).

I should have taken a Picture of T-bones Meindles when He got back. He bought them Brand new and then threw them away after sheep hunting. I'm guessing no matter what I wear I will toss away after my sheep hunt ?

Thanx for more input guys !!

Were they the lighter variety Meindles? I have used the type like Cabelas sells as Denali Hunters and they hold up well in rough, rocky country (for me). I believe the leather of the Meindles that Cabelas sells is softer than the models directly sold by Meindle. They do get rock cut, but I have gone thru 2 pair of Cabelas Denali Hikers and they have lasted about 3 years each of very heavy use. I am currently using the Meindle model that Cabelas calls the "Alaskan Hunter" or some such name (mine are from a direct Meindl dealer)- they have a high rubber "belt" around the base of the boot to minimize rock cuts. The leather seems a bit stiffer than the Denali Hikers. Yours is the first story I have heard of Meindles giving out after one trip! Must have been "friday's production" or something. Like I said before I like the Montrails you picked. They are by far better than other boots of that lighter class. I just perfer a heavier boot for safety in rough country. To each his own!

Thanx again for the Insite. I was looknig at the meindles you talked about and a buddy had a pair here and I test drove them the best I could (He had smaller feet so I jsut touched them
. They seemed like Good boot's. I won't discredit them by any means.

I will let T-bone talk about his Boots for I don't know the Specs on them. I jsut knew he trashed the Crap out of them... But this country isn't for keeping shoes uncut I guess ;)

7000_G.sized.jpg

Back