Shed thread

Deerhunter80

Hey guys - figured we could centralize the shed hunting pics (kinda like the deer / elk / antelope threads). So here goes:

Went out yesterday with my buddy to an area I knew held some great deer. Had a lot of pics on the camera of a few dandy bucks and was keeping my fingers crossed that I'd stumble upon one of them. I have spent a ton of time in the woods looking for sheds over the years with little luck. In fact the only thing I ever found was a dead head and I cant even take credit, my dog found that one...

In any event we started our search and decided to check this little stream bottom where we saw a ton of sign. On the way down my buddy Keith picked up a horn with a shorter G2 and the shed looked to be about 2 years old. I was pretty sure I knew which buck this was. We checked out a picture I had on my phone and sure enough it was an older shed of the 10 point I chased all year. So we kept searching... About 75 yards after we found that original shed I hit pay dirt. I saw a big horn just sitting on the top of the snow. Then I turn to the left and not 4 feet away there is another horn just sitting there. We looked at the rack and couln't beleive it. It was the big 10 points rack from this year. We held up the 2 year old shed and it matched perfectly, same symetry and all. Kept looking and found 1 more shed of a broken 6 point I had pics of. All in all a great morning. 3 hours and 4 sheds. Can't beat that!!!

Not a bad buck for Connecticut!!!!

Attachments

• deer.JPG
    deer.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,147
  • shed.jpeg
    shed.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,169
  • shed 2.jpeg
    shed 2.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,155
3 yrs of this buck's left antler without ever finding any of the right sides. latest antler(one ot the back) scores 77 inches
3_yrs_of_left_side.JPG

Had that happen to a buddy,he had 3 years of his left side and never saw the right until he stuck an arrow in him. He is super proud of that deer after 3 years of history.

Found 20 bulls in a herd,sixteen still have their head gear,.Going to follow them around for the next couple of weeks, hoping the drop horn bull sheds soon.

Last edited:
26 sheds this year so far....Here are some of the better ones. Heading out tomorrow and hoping to find a few more!

Attachments

• March antler collection.jpg
    March antler collection.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 638
Went out with the wife and daughter this afternoon. She had never gone shed hunting before and I was explaining what she should be looking for. Well I sent her off to walk a creek and I was going to check a flat. As I pointed her on her way I took about 10 steps and she says"found one!!!" Thought she was pulling my leg but I walked over and saw tines. I couldn't believe it. She found a stud!!! We searched for another hour or so to no avail, but that one shed makes it all worth while. Now she is hooked. She will be trying to shoot deer by the fall... I hope ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 506
Heres a couple of red deer shed antlers from OZ we picked up this week.

A nice 6 point with a busted bez tine
reddeer_zps95382031.jpg

A right hand side that had been lying for a while and a nice fresh left hand antler off a mature deer
redsheds_zpsc51ec00a.jpg

This is the same left hand antler that was in the back of the ute. My mate shot the stag a few days ago, then we picked up his cast left side. He was a heavy old 14 point, well past his prime, a good time to take him out of the herd when my mate shot him. As can be seen by the picture he was sliding downhill with antler growth and probably even his cast was heading back in growth. This picture is comparing the two antler tops, in left of pic is what he grew this year when he was shot, right side antler top is the cast from 2012 we found. Would have like to have located him in 2010/2011.
red_zpsab94619b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back