Caribou Gear Tarp

Sewing with furs

Hunting Wife

Went out today to sight in coyote guns. Got done, packed up, drove a mile down the road and wouldn’t you know, there’s a coyote just standing out in the sage.

200C2A32-72E1-42B4-BC33-9A2B2A4A271B.jpeg

It’s just a pup, still a couple weeks early so dark skin. Going to the tannery. I’ve been wanting to experiment with some home decor projects…probably start with a pillow or something. Probably a long shot, but does anyone have any tips or know of any resources for doing sewing projects with furs?

I find YouTube is everyone's friend. Peaked my interest reading your post. This seemed a quick review I may have to try.

Or ask one of the HT Sask hunters... one of them (or both?) are the real slim shady of 'yote trapping / skinning.

I've done very very minor stuff by hand, strong needles are a requirement. No idea if a normal sewing machine can handle a hide, I had to punch holes with a tool, then sew through the hole

I've done very very minor stuff by hand, strong needles are a requirement. No idea if a normal sewing machine can handle a hide, I had to punch holes with a tool, then sew through the hole
I assume by hand as well. I’m equipped with some pretty stout needles and an awl, so I think I’m equipped to try your technique 😁

Nice looking loper, who's doing the tanning for you ?
Looking forward to some pics .

I’ve had good luck using Berkeley fire line fishing line as thread for sewing up coyotes. I’m sure most any non-stretch fishing line would work though. I saw a video years back where a guy would trim the holes in the hide into the shape of a football to make them more uniform to see up. That also worked well for me.

I find YouTube is everyone's friend. Peaked my interest reading your post. This seemed a quick review I may have to try.

Or ask one of the HT Sask hunters... one of them (or both?) are the real slim shady of 'yote trapping / skinning.
Similar to the non-video “tutorial” I found. Looks like I’ll try something along these lines first. Maybe a pillow with fur on one side and just leather or suede on the other?

I’d love to make like a throw blanket or something, it that’s probably overly optimistic 🤣

I’ve had good luck using Berkeley fire line fishing line as thread for sewing up coyotes. I’m sure most any non-stretch fishing line would work though. I saw a video years back where a guy would trim the holes in the hide into the shape of a football to make them more uniform to see up. That also worked well for me.
Yup, I've used like #30 braid too

Similar to the non-video “tutorial” I found. Looks like I’ll try something along these lines first. Maybe a pillow with fur on one side and just leather or suede on the other?

I’d love to make like a throw blanket or something, it that’s probably overly optimistic 🤣
Hah! I thought it would be great to craft a pair of gaiters out of an old bear rug that was a bit tattered.
While I bet you would craft a pretty decent throw or a good looking pillow for a start, my gaiters were a royal bust! Side vertical buttons with a buttoned leather loop for the front boot laces, and simple buckle straps at the top (cinch) and boot arch.
Unfortunately, the tanning job and age, even with the 1" backing used would have made Jeremiah Johnson laugh his arse off. 🤣

Everyone starts somewhere. Would be great to see updates of your progress!

Usually Moyle’s. I like their fur dressing, and think it might work great for what I have in mind? Guess I’ll find out.
What’s Moyles turn around time? You just rolling them up and then shipping frozen? I’d like to tan some of my hides that aren’t worth much to the fur buyer. They still sell good tanned to people who want wall hangers or the mountain man rendezvous

What’s Moyles turn around time? You just rolling them up and then shipping frozen? I’d like to tan some of my hides that aren’t worth much to the fur buyer. They still sell good tanned to people who want wall hangers or the mountain man rendezvous
During the busy season, it can be 4 months to get stuff back. Once they were backed up 6 months but it hasn’t been that bad the last few times I sent things. If you create an account and order online, they expedite your order 30 days faster. I do that now and it never seems like it takes terribly long. They do not take frozen hides though- only dried.

I flesh and dry mine anyway because I kind of enjoy it and if I get enough to make it worth my time, I’ll send them to auction. Don’t have enough freezer space to hold furs so dried just works better for me.

During the busy season, it can be 4 months to get stuff back. Once they were backed up 6 months but it hasn’t been that bad the last few times I sent things. If you create an account and order online, they expedite your order 30 days faster. I do that now and it never seems like it takes terribly long. They do not take frozen hides though- only dried.

I flesh and dry mine anyway because I kind of enjoy it and if I get enough to make it worth my time, I’ll send them to auction. Don’t have enough freezer space to hold furs so dried just works better for me.
Thanks. I finish our hides as well. I’ll be shipping a few this year to them I think. Wife wants a coyote fur comforter but I bet that would be way to hot

I am going to be getting my hands on some beaver fur to mess around with making items out of in a few weeks. Does anyone have a list of specific items I will need and a link to where to get them? I have looked at places all over the web, but I thought I would look for some good advice here before pulling the trigger. I guess I am mainly looking for size and types of needles and types of thread. I am thinking a purse for my wife and maybe some slippers for her first.

I prefer circular needles when working with hides, I’ve attached hooks to bear rugs and seems like I just snap straight needles.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back