Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Senator Daines credibility crisis

"hold him accountable"......
I believe Daines defeated Curtis quite handily, by a 55% to 43% margin. He is most likely being "accountable" to those who elected him. The marginal number of Montana voters who turned out, majority wise wanted Daines in this office. Those who wanted him got their wishes, those who were duped.....??? I do not believe (most?) politicians feel an ounce of accountability to those with differing viewpoints than theirs. Thus, we all get what we get....... Unfortunately, an Aldo Leopoldian wacko left wing liberal public land hunting gun nut advocate of habitat/access/critters first - such as myself, usually votes for losers of elections. Being the eternal optimist I am........................ I'll probably do it again next election cycle. It is good to know that a couple of other people fight the same battles....

Unfortunately, an Aldo Leopoldian wacko left wing liberal public land hunting gun nut advocate of habitat/access/critters first - such as myself, usually votes for losers of elections. Being the eternal optimist I am........................ I'll probably do it again next election cycle. It is good to know that a couple of other people fight the same battles....

All one of us. :D

I don't frequent any forums that are not related to hunting but I have to assume that backpackers/fisherman/hikers/rock climbers/campers etc. would be just as outraged as hunters. Are they fighting back? The number of hunters is relatively small but the number of people that use federal lands for other types of recreation is large.
Patrick

I don't frequent any forums that are not related to hunting but I have to assume that backpackers/fisherman/hikers/rock climbers/campers etc. would be just as outraged as hunters. Are they fighting back? The number of hunters is relatively small but the number of people that use federal lands for other types of recreation is large.
Patrick

I'm somewhat out of the loop these days but if it's anything like it used to be, those groups have a standing, long term presence fighting for their issues; kind of like the NRA. So yes, they are all over it, all the time, and have been, for ever. Again, I could be wrong but Big Fin, et al, could probably address it more accurately.

I logged on to post a picture of Steve Daines email to me and like I imagined it was a a mass email.

I am replying simply because I want to add to the discussion that Daines should be held accountable and there are thousands of people that he disappointed. I Called all his offices a few weeks ago. Totally belligerent of him. I killed the bull in my profile picture because of public lands. To support the sale/transfer of that proposed real-estate makes me extremely upset.

Last edited:
Glad to see so many folks weighing in on this topic. It is an issue where the Senator and his advisers completely missed the boat. There needs to be accountability on votes such as this.

It is not lost on the DC crowd that the Senator is getting heat back home for this vote. They realize that there are some things that are sacred in some parts of the country. In Texas, you don't screw with their football. In Wisconsin, you don't screw with their beer. In Montana, you don't screw with our public lands.

I did get to speak to the Senator last week when I was in DC. I encouraged him to support reauthorization and full funding of LWCF and to kill anything that remotely looked like a "Transfer Bill." Whether or not he does, I guess time will tell. The supposed fixes he wants to see in LWCF can be taken care of once it is reauthorized. They are not fixes that would be reason to kill this very successful program.

If there is one thing that will be helpful in this discussion, it is to keep the heat on back here at home. There is a Senate hearing coming this week about LWCF. Senator Daines is on the Senate Committee that will discuss the topic. I would hope he speaks positively of public lands and LWCF at that hearing.

Yet, the real test will come when a bill is introduced that focuses on the topics of LWCF, Transfer, and other public land issues. How one talks during a Committee hearing is not nearly as important as how one votes when a bill comes to the Senate for a vote.

In reality, any public land bills will probably get loaded with poison pill amendments, so that guys like Senator Daines can say, "I support the original, but those other amendments are just not good, so I had to vote against it." The DC way of saying something and doing nothing.

Keep the pressure on. In all of my years of dealing with DC politicians, this last month has been the biggest shake up when it comes to votes on public lands and the adverse consequences to those voting the wrong way. Now is the time to press for even more accountability.

Dog:

Here are some slides that talk about "Transfer." Slide 8 shows Senator Daines' constituents are in large part against it. Slide 9 shows that when voters self-identify among five groups, only one group supports the notion of Transfer.

View attachment 46703

I would like to think that Wyoming has improved on this percentage since last September. This has become a big issue in the state. Recently, a lot of information has been included in the newspapers.

Also there is an extensive discussion of the issue on the Eastmans' Hunting forum under General Hunting: Transfer of Public Lands:

http://forum.eastmans.com/forum.php

How much money is spent on Foreign Countries every year including Iran we need to take our Country back before it is gone!!!
Thanks for all you do Randy.

Back