Sell me a fly rod!

Thanks for the replies! Id love to build my own, but would hate to screw something up.
It's not that hard if you can get someone to show you the ropes. However, if you are willing to throw down $600 for a rod the amount of money you save probably won't matter that much, but it is fun. Sorry you got stuck in the odd weight rut; you clearly got some bad advice early on :D.

Some shops allow you to demo a rod so ask around. If they have you cast the rod in the parking lot make sure the line is clean as it makes a huge difference, or better yet bring your own line (and cast on the lawn) and maybe a typical streamer soaked in water. Most my rods are ~20 year old Sages, but my favorite big-ugly streamer rod is a 6wt Pac Bay I put together with spare parts. The lumbering feel just seems to work better for heavy flies, but it is a personal thing.

If it you were looking for a dry fly or saltwater flats fishing rod I'd say shell out the money, but it is quite possible that could lower your budget considerably and wind up with a rod you like better than a super crisp high dollar rod. Spend the extra money on a reel that feels really solid and you'll appreciate it if you get into a good fish.

This one is courtesy of a 490 LL, dry fly at a rising fish of course ;)

Attachments

• s IMG_2740.jpg
    s IMG_2740.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 404
All of the above is sound advise regarding quality of rods. I've built a number of fly rods and it seems to be similar to reloading as the biggest hurdle is getting all the equipment at the start and learning the basics, don't start on a $500 blank. There are plenty of shortcuts on equipment that will produce fine results, that is how I started then slowly built up and upgraded my equipment/tools. After a while I had more rods than I would ever fish, but wanted to build more so I began building and giving them out as wedding, Christmas, and birthday gifts. If you are looking for a new hobby or challenge I would say go for it. There is a huge satisfaction when you land a fish on a fly you tied and a rod you built.

Back to the original question, I built a 7wt on a faster action blank specifically for streamers/heavy nymph rigs and it is one of my favorite rods. Brand and model can be subjective sometimes as one guy might like one, but the next might not. Cast as many as you can and then make a decision on which one feels the best.

A couple of Rock Creek fish, courtesy of a Sage 389LL that I built many years ago.

Attachments

• hunt talk 9.jpg
    hunt talk 9.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 429
  • hunt talk 10.jpg
    hunt talk 10.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 398
  • hunt talk 12.jpg
    hunt talk 12.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 392
  • hunt talk 13.jpg
    hunt talk 13.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 428
Nice to see so many rod builders.

If you start prepare to spend a lot of time doing a lot of rods. I had a lot of fun and wrapped quite a few rods. Started with a homemade manual set up and now I'm using a nice power wrapper. After my daughter was born a lot of things went on the back burner including wrapping. Have 3 blanks to finish and then I will probably liquidate my equipment.

I've always liked my Sage rods but a friend of mine won't buy anything but Scott. In your price range I don't think you will be disappointed in any of the rods from the manufacturers you named.

Like the others I'm using a 6wt for streamers.

Go to a fly shop and cast some rods. All of the brands listed have good rods, and it comes down to which one you like the best.

I like a faster action for streamer rods than I do for general use. As Rob noted, a 6 wt might be the ticket, although I love the 7wt. Especially if you fish in windy areas. You can still throw a double nymph-rig and blast streamers w/ a 7 wt.

My first real fly rod was a 9' 7 weight Sage with a fighting butt. Cast a lot of double bunnies, streamers, stones, and hoppers with it. Still have it, rarely use it now. It handles all trout situations well, handled the smaller steelhead fine. I was 100% undergunned on steelhead over 8 lbs.

Now i mostly use my Scott 4 weight for local waters.

I have a 6-wt Bank Robber with a clear-tip Rio streamer line, I love it! I highly recommend it if you are strictly throwing streamers with it, it what that rod is made to do and it does it extremely well.

Don't let anyone talk you out of a 7 weight in favor of a 6 if you want to throw the good streamers (articulated nasty stuff). I just picked up a Redington Vapen 7 weight on a killer deal and paired it with a 15' type 6 sink tip. I literally used it on the water for the first time this past weekend and it was my first real streamer experience, but I think it throws the big nasty stuff well. I can get some really tight loops if I'm looking for accuracy in my placement, although not necessary if you just want to bomb the fly out there. The smaller less fun streamers don't cast nearly as well (once again in my very limited experience) but as streamer fishing doesn't necessarily require finesse casting, I feel they cast well enough to get the job done.

I definitely think you would be disappointed in a 6 weight unless you like the size 4-8 "streamers"

Don't let anyone talk you out of a 7 weight in favor of a 6 if you want to throw the good streamers (articulated nasty stuff). I just picked up a Redington Vapen 7 weight on a killer deal and paired it with a 15' type 6 sink tip. I literally used it on the water for the first time this past weekend and it was my first real streamer experience, but I think it throws the big nasty stuff well. I can get some really tight loops if I'm looking for accuracy in my placement, although not necessary if you just want to bomb the fly out there. The smaller less fun streamers don't cast nearly as well (once again in my very limited experience) but as streamer fishing doesn't necessarily require finesse casting, I feel they cast well enough to get the job done.

I definitely think you would be disappointed in a 6 weight unless you like the size 4-8 "streamers"

Could not agree with this more! If you are gonna fish big stuff you don't wan't to be underlined

Hmmmm... some disparaging words. I will concede that a 7wt will throw bigger flies better than a 6, but a 7wt is basically a half-assed 8wt. If you are going to throw big flies you might as well get an 8wt because it will cover most anything, whereas a 7 is still a bit small for "beyond trout." But it really isn't that big of a deal if you are in the odd numbered rut... :)

8 wt fish...

Attachments

• pike.jpg
    pike.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I have a 6-wt Bank Robber with a clear-tip Rio streamer line, I love it! I highly recommend it if you are strictly throwing streamers with it, it what that rod is made to do and it does it extremely well.

I absolutely love my Bank Robber(s) when pitching big nasty streamers from a moving boat (which is my most common streamer trout game). I go with a more traditional fast or medium-fast action 6 or 7 if I'm wade fishing and swinging or for stillwater. The BR action just isn't "right" for me for wade fishing casts, since they are designed to load quickly for pick-slap-strip (repeat) fishing from relatively short distances. It will drop a huge articulated mess of a chicken into a paint can at 20-40' all day long with no false casting, which is what you're looking for from a boat rod.

If you aren't predominately floating, IMO, the more traditional action sticks (e.g. the St Croix Legends in your dollar range) will give you better control, accuracy and "feel" for traditional 'cast and swing' streamer fishing.

A Silver on a Bank Robber from this summer in AK :)

20226933834_a394f77141_z.jpg

Yes, it is great from the boat, but I usually only can sneak out for a couple hours so I cover a LOT of water quickly when I fish streamers on foot as well. I'm like cast-cast-step, so the quick "pickup and right back out" technique works pretty well when I'm looking for hungry fish. I fish my BR the same way for bass from the shore with hair bugs and light streamers in the summer evenings.

Awesome info! I'm gonna cast the bank robber at the fly shop in the near future. Lots of rods to choose from. I will mainly be casting from shore, so I'll make sure the bank robber would work for me. Good price point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back