Seekins - Cannot see in person, buy anyway?

westbranch

I have been thinking about a 300 of some sort for several year and the itch is getting worse. Definitely not needed based on current hunting rifles but the want is there. Have debated custom but so much that I don't know and not that interested in the process of picking out components at this point. Due to that I have mainly settled on Seekins but hard to find them in person to handle. One local store had a Havak PH2 6.5CM in stock and I handled that and it seemed great. Looking online I have found a Havak Element 300PRC that seems to check all the boxes. But spending close to $3k on a rifle without handling in person seems crazy. Everything I read is how they are a great value are so seems like it would be hard to go wrong...

For anyone with direct experience how different is the Havak PH2 vs. Element? Just go for it? You are spending my money so enabling is welcome.

I am getting into reloading and one potential negative based on my reading is the 1:10" twist. But still a ton of bullet options.

I say get it, I'm guessing you haven't bought a rifle all year, you deserve it & you'll feel better!

I haven't shot their rifles, but from what I've seen and heard they're a good company. Might be worth a phone call and a drive to Lewiston if they have tours or a showroom.

I say get it, I'm guessing you haven't bought a rifle all year, you deserve it & you'll feel better!

I haven't shot their rifles, but from what I've seen and heard they're a good company. Might be worth a phone call and a drive to Lewiston if they have tours or a showroom.

4 hunting rifles and only one was bought in the last 10 yrs (2020). So maybe it is more of a need than a want. No objections from my wife when I said what I plan to spend on a rifle and scope. I wonder what she has her eye on? Maybe I should just buy her a Havak PH2 preemptively.

I was just looking at their website and they said calls will not likely be answered and they recommended sending an email. Might do that shortly.

I would check the twist rate before buying a Seekins in 300 PRC. Last time I looked they were a 1:10 twist, which is a bit slow for the heavier/longer bullets the PRC’s are built around.

I have been thinking about a 300 of some sort for several year and the itch is getting worse. Definitely not needed based on current hunting rifles but the want is there. Have debated custom but so much that I don't know and not that interested in the process of picking out components at this point. Due to that I have mainly settled on Seekins but hard to find them in person to handle. One local store had a Havak PH2 6.5CM in stock and I handled that and it seemed great. Looking online I have found a Havak Element 300PRC that seems to check all the boxes. But spending close to $3k on a rifle without handling in person seems crazy. Everything I read is how they are a great value are so seems like it would be hard to go wrong...

For anyone with direct experience how different is the Havak PH2 vs. Element? Just go for it? You are spending my money so enabling is welcome.

I am getting into reloading and one potential negative based on my reading is the 1:10" twist. But still a ton of bullet options.

I wouldn't be worried about a 10 twist being a limiting factor unless youre trying to shoot 245s or super long monos. I bet that 10 twist stabilizes up to a 225 ELDm at maybe a slight loss in BC over a faster twist. 230 bergers would stabilize fine. Maybe pushing it a little if you're around sea level.

I've had 2 different 300 wm PH havaks that didn't shoot 212 eldx, 215 berger, or 200.20x bergers with acceptable accuracy for me so I just had an aftermarket barrel put on rather than go back to seekins for round 3. Seems to be a lot of happy folks though, maybe they've squared away whatever it is that resulted in my rifles' issues. I really like the stock, bottom metal, and carbon mag. Action isn't my favorite 700 pattern option but with the new bolt it's pretty sweet now.

Not really, already 80% on just buying it. I might just be looking for enablers.
In that case, I am certain you will not be disappointed. I was shocked how easy it is to shoot the thing well (8"; 400yd gong is almost too easy), and still how light a package it is...

With a VX-6 on top and a full magazine it weighs in at 8lbs 13oz

I have a PH2 in 6.5CM. Love it so much MinnesotaHunter ended up buying one as well in .308. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. I personally would lean towards the PH2 if you are going to shoot larger calibers.

Got scolded at Scheel's yesterday for drooling all over the Seekins case. Didn't ask to touch one for fear I wouldn't be able to put it down.

Loads of Christensen Arms in the used rack but no Seekins rifles.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back