Caribou Gear Tarp

Seeking Advise on Knee/Elbow Pads for Hunters

WyoDoug

This year, for my archery goat hunt, the most frequent contact I had was cactus. I am looking for lightweight knee and/or elbow pads to wear when I am low crawling which I do a lot to approach feeding antelope. Does anyone have a link to a set that is easy to put on and quickly remove as needed?

I'd go to the flooring tool area of Home Depot and try some on.

Be careful with easy on/easy off. If they don’t stay put they won’t do you much good. I’ve found that some fit and stay put better than others. Buy a couple, save the receipts, try them around the house, return the ones that don’t work for you.

If you’re going to take the elbow pads off before shooting, don’t use Velcro - too much noise. Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

And not really what you're asking, but think about Sitka's Apex line that has them built in. I fooled around years ago with the external, but they were really just a pain.

Be careful with easy on/easy off. If they don’t stay put they won’t do you much good. I’ve found that some fit and stay put better than others. Buy a couple, save the receipts, try them around the house, return the ones that don’t work for you.

If you’re going to take the elbow pads off before shooting, don’t use Velcro - too much noise. Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

I will likely shoot with them on. I don't like velcro for hunting equipment either. Way too much noise and that sound carries for close to a mile when you are trying to get close.

And not really what you're asking, but think about Sitka's Apex line that has them built in. I fooled around years ago with the external, but they were really just a pain.

Another problem I have is because of my spare tire aka belly, I have to order larger trousers than normal and have the wife hem them up. They don't make that stuff for us fat guys. Ones I tried on in Cabellas and Sportsman Warehouse had the pads too low for me to use.

What I would like to find is a pair of knee and elbow pads made for hunting. Not looking for some as heavy as when I play volleyball all the time or any made for that purpose, but made specifically for hunters. Just heavy enough to stop those dang cactus spines from penetrating your clothes.

What I would like to find is a pair of knee and elbow pads made for hunting. Not looking for some as heavy as when I play volleyball all the time or any made for that purpose, but made specifically for hunters. Just heavy enough to stop those dang cactus spines from penetrating your clothes. I also did a Randy this year (if you remember him sitting on cactus in one of his elk hunting movies with his son) and sat on cactus going to full draw. (I still got that doe but hurt to sit down for a while after)

I may of answered my own question here. I noticed combat videos coming back from Iraq where soldiers were wearing some I kind of like. I need to find where to get the tactical type. They have a button that is silent when you put them on. Now anyone have a good source for tactical gear?

I've been very happy with my arcteryx ones. A bit pricey but they are more comfortable than some cheap ones I've worn.

I've been very happy with my arcteryx ones. A bit pricey but they are more comfortable than some cheap ones I've worn.
I also have a pair of tele pads for this purpose. Very comfy.

Who is the supplier? You got a link where I can look at these?

I'm not sure if any of the HuntTalk sponsors offer these, so I don't want to violate any terms by just posting a non-affiliated web link. I think your best bet is to google "arcteryx knee pads" or "arcteryx LEAF knee caps" and see the results. They have them in tactical black and a crocodile brown color.

I'm not sure if any of the HuntTalk sponsors offer these, so I don't want to violate any terms by just posting a non-affiliated web link. I think your best bet is to google "arcteryx knee pads" or "arcteryx LEAF knee caps" and see the results. They have them in tactical black and a crocodile brown color.

I found them and kind of like what I am after. Not ridiculously expensive either. They also got elbow pads. Now if they made butt pads LOL. Not sure what to do about sitting on those things. Wyoming is famous for those little ground cactus plants with spines that hurt like hell for a long time after you sit on them.

Also, nothing in the Terms and rules through the link at the bottom of the page prohibits posting links to stuff like this from what I read. I am sure Randy will chime in if I am not correct.

The USGI external knee pads never stayed up for me. Eventually I just sewed closed cell foam pads cut to size into the knees and elbows of a couple of pairs of BDUs.

3rd or 4th on the tele-knee pads. I think mine are black diamond, and are about 15 years old. So I don't know if BD still makes them.

I use them for antelope sometimes. They have definitely saved my knees many times, more so skiing. But they do a good job on cactus too.

I'll second the round-about way of doing it via Sitka pants with built-in knee pads. Yes, obviously this is a much higher price point, but you're also getting a great pair of hunting pants. They have several types of pant that come with the knee pads, as well as tops that come with elbow pads. I use the Apex pant and top, and I have to say I love the included pad feature. They are light and minimal enough that you don't notice them, but effective when using them.

I found them and kind of like what I am after. Not ridiculously expensive either. They also got elbow pads. Now if they made butt pads LOL. Not sure what to do about sitting on those things. Wyoming is famous for those little ground cactus plants with spines that hurt like hell for a long time after you sit on them.

Also, nothing in the Terms and rules through the link at the bottom of the page prohibits posting links to stuff like this from what I read. I am sure Randy will chime in if I am not correct.

Did you find something that worked for you yet or still looking for knee pads?

Back