Seek Outside versus Stone Glacier

gdgwp

I know there's been a number of threads that have answered some of these questions, but I figured I'd ask a specific comparison for what I'm trying to decide between.

I have good odds to draw a Wyoming general elk tag this year. We'll be camping near the truck, but also want to keep the option open to do a 1-2 day bivy type trip. There's obviously a chance of snow and cold temps that come with a mid October rifle hunt at higher elevation.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Seek Outside LBO with a stove versus the 4 season Stone Glacier Skyscraper. Each has their own pros and cons, but I thought I'd throw it out to this group to get your insight. The idea of having a stove is really enticing, but having no floor and dealing with snow/water may take a while to master.

Thanks for the input.

Go floorless. After you get over your trepidation , which will happen very fast, you will wishing you did it sooner. SO makes a great product. The LBO with stove for one guy is awesome and you add to it in the future if your hunting with a partner.
Water and snow is a non issue, make sure you don’t pitch the tarp in a depression and you will be fine.

I have a Seek Cimarron, its great. 2017 was a very wet snowy year for archery in MT, having that stove was a huge plus for drying out a bit and keeping warm. The stoves only burn while your feeding them wood though, but it's better than nothing. Condensation can be an issue when its very wet out, there are plenty of techniques to keep it down, but you won't completely get away from it. All things considered I'm happy with the floorless tent stove combo vs a regular tent.

I've seen some used Seek Outside shelters hitting the market lately. Maybe try to grab one of those before winter is over and give it a test run. If you buy used and decide it's not for you, you won't be out much more than shipping costs.

I'd go with the SG, I like having a bathtub bottom and the flexibility of camping locations that you get with a tent. If I had both I would probably take the seek for base camps with the stove and then the SG for any bivy camping. Here's the scenario where I would really want a tent; you head out from the truck intending to bivy, you get a real wet heavy snow all day, it's windy with temps in the 30s everything is soggy, you post up on a ridge till last light glassing elk, you come down in the dark and want to make camp quick but don't want to walk around too much and spook elk and are limited by the beam of your headlamp. With a tent you will keep your stuff dryer because of the bottom and will also be able to pitch it in tight trees, or in the wind, or in funky terrain because the fly is held up by the poles and doesn't rely on the lines to hold it up and work properly.

Both will work, I'm sure having a stove is nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back