Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tipi tents in big wind country?

Seriously... you are comparing a 500+ lb dwelling with 15-25, 6 inch diameter trees supporting it to a single pole + tarp that weights 2-3lbs? Kinda like comparing a big Agnes to a ger...

What’s your beef jerky? It’s the design not the mass. Sheesh, some people’s children.

What’s your beef jerky? It’s the design not the mass. Sheesh, some people’s children.

No about the only thing the two have in common is the shape.

Mass has nothing to do with it... physics bro.

If you set up a kifaru with 25 poles then sure mass, but you don't. Tipis didn't have a central pole.

In a tipi the poles bore the weight/pressure of the wind and snow and distributed the load, a traditional tipi won't cave in from the wind because the fabic is directly support by the poles. A UL tipi doesn't have any internal structure to bear the load.
1591382645111.png

1591382847895.png

Do you guys feel like the bigger the tent, the worse it will do in windy conditions? I just picked up seek outside 16 man, and I’m wondering how it will hold up compared to smaller tents.

Do you guys feel like the bigger the tent, the worse it will do in windy conditions? I just picked up seek outside 16 man, and I’m wondering how it will hold up compared to smaller tents.

Tent size matters in wind. A 52" tall tent is going to catch a LOT less wind than a 11'6" tall tent with a 21' diameter.

That said, I've had my 8 person in 50 mph gusts pitched with 10 stakes and no guylines and it did very well.

The problems we see with tipis in high winds is usually stakes pulling out of the ground, sometimes branches falling and tearing the canopy. Always look UP for dead trees before pitching camp.

Solid staking, wind exposure, and common sense go a long way.

I just finished a tread on rokslide where I compared the sawtooth the cimarron. Might be worth the read.
While like the late out of mids better then the sawtooth, I don't feel they handle the wind as well. I was kicking around which one I take to Alaska in August and decided on the sawtooth

I just finished a tread on rokslide where I compared the sawtooth the cimarron. Might be worth the read.
While like the late out of mids better then the sawtooth, I don't feel they handle the wind as well. I was kicking around which one I take to Alaska in August and decided on the sawtooth
link? I'm lazy

link? I'm lazy

thanks. BTW did you see SO is now making some shelters, like the redcliff, in Dyneema with a stove jack. $2k for tent is more than I can afford, but talk about everything a guys would want in a shelter.

thanks. BTW did you see SO is now making some shelters, like the redcliff, in Dyneema with a stove jack. $2k for tent is more than I can afford, but talk about everything a guys would want in a shelter.
I saw that, they sure look sweet. Since I’m getting ready to buy a new spotter I averted my eyes quickly.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back