Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tipi tents in big wind country?

Not much to add, but will state my cheap, small Sierra Designs tipi did better than I expected in some high winds back in February in NM. I very much could see myself with a larger one with stove for backpacking. Might even add a stove jack to this one, but space is pretty tight without a stove...

Golite/Mytrail seemed to make some good gear for the price if you can catch them in between bankruptcies.

It's pretty good stuff, but as Snowymountaineer said, it's not overly robust. I am close to giving up on repairing my SL5. They just don't mix well with kids and dogs. If you're interested in it, let me know. I might be swayed to unload it for cheap. It probably needs about a $100 in repairs.

It's pretty good stuff, but as Snowymountaineer said, it's not overly robust. I am close to giving up on repairing my SL5. They just don't mix well with kids and dogs. If you're interested in it, let me know. I might be swayed to unload it for cheap. It probably needs about a $100 in repairs.
I almost always have the dog with me, so that’s good to know. I’ll probably go with a little more durable option then.

I know there’s probably many reasons why it doesn’t exist, but I always thought a bigger GT Hilleberg with a small stove in the vestibule would be slick. Set up without the inner tent body of course.

I know there’s probably many reasons why it doesn’t exist, but I always thought a bigger GT Hilleberg with a small stove in the vestibule would be slick. Set up without the inner tent body of course.
I think somebody has pics of that on Rokslide.

Last edited:
I got the lite outdoors tipi and stove last fall, its my first floor less shelter I have only spent 9 nights in it but it will be my go to shelter for just about everything. The only issue I had was wet snow, I woke up to a bowed center pole easily fixed by slapping the walls had I not woken up it could have possibly been worse. I haven't had it in high winds yet but I'm not expecting any problems if it is properly pitched and guyed out.

I’ve never owned a tipi/stove combo before, but I am considering making the very expensive investment. I am mainly looking at the Seek Outside Cimmaron pyramid/tipi hybrid. My question is how they handle high wind situations. There’s plenty of info from Seek Outside, but since they’re trying to sell me a tent I remain a little skeptical.

I love the idea of having a stove to dry out wet clothes after trudging through snow all day, and a place to relax for a bit instead of spending long late season nights crammed into a backpacking tent. If anyone has some experience or advice with tipis in the wind, I would be all ears.

I don't have any experience with Seek or Kifaru.

I had a Mountain Laurel Duomid for two seasons. I used it on 1 sheep hunt and 1 high country mule deer hunt. I regretted every night of the 20 I spent in it because it caved in on the sides, could not be made flush with whatever remotely flat spot I found, and flapped like a trash bag all.night.long.

Love the stove in the Hilly!

Tipi's were created to withstand the fierce winds sweeping across the plains. If you're going to buy a new order tipi ask them to sew in an additional set of guyout lines 2/3 of the way up. That should go a long way to eliminating the annoying flapping in the wind.

I don't have any experience with Seek or Kifaru.

I had a Mountain Laurel Duomid for two seasons. I used it on 1 sheep hunt and 1 high country mule deer hunt. I regretted every night of the 20 I spent in it because it caved in on the sides, could not be made flush with whatever remotely flat spot I found, and flapped like a trash bag all.night.long.

Love the stove in the Hilly!

I'm assuming by "caved in on the sides" you mean the catenary cuts that cut into usable space? Cimarron should be a little better in this regard.

By being made flush, do you mean getting the tarp all the way to the ground? You can get close but they aren't really designed to seal to the ground like a cimarron or tipi/mid with sod flaps. It a trade off - can have lighter weight / better venting and no seal to the ground or you can get a seal to the ground with more condensation and weight.

Never had notable flapping issues with a duomid or supermid, they get pretty damn taut when pitched/guyed right but getting it right takes some consideration compared to a dome tent. The MLD (and similar HMG and Locus gear models) by design should have less flapping than a cimarron because of the more aggressive catenary cuts and additional mid panel/seam guy out options.

For the OP - the primary reason I own a supermid and duomid is because of their top notch weight to wind resistance combination. Primary compromises are that they aren't freestanding, tight usable space from the slopes at head/food end, and they lose most weight advantages when an inner is added. Cimarron is closest to a supermid and offers more useable space with it's dimensions and steeper walls and it's ability to use sod skirts to seal out drafts. However the cimarron having steeper walls and fewer mid panel guy outs makes it less wind resistant and the size, side skirts, and dual zippers (there is a light version with a single door zipper) make it heavier. This is a good comparison of some of the options:

Last edited:
I'm assuming by "caved in on the sides" you mean the catenary cuts that cut into usable space? Cimarron should be a little better in this regard.

By being made flush, do you mean getting the tarp all the way to the ground? You can get close but they aren't really designed to seal to the ground like a cimarron or tipi/mid with sod flaps. It a trade off - can have lighter weight / better venting and no seal to the ground or you can get a seal to the ground with more condensation and weight.

Never had notable flapping issues with a duomid or supermid, they get pretty damn taut when pitched/guyed right but getting it right takes some consideration compared to a dome tent. The MLD (and similar HMG and Locus gear models) by design should have less flapping than a cimarron because of the more aggressive catenary cuts and additional mid panel/seam guy out options.

For the OP - the primary reason I own a supermid and duomid is because of their top notch weight to wind resistance combination. Primary compromises are that they aren't freestanding, tight usable space from the slopes at head/food end, and they lose most weight advantages when an inner is added. Cimarron is closest to a supermid and offers more useable space with it's dimensions and steeper walls and it's ability to use sod skirts to seal out drafts. However the cimarron having steeper walls and fewer mid panel guy outs makes it less wind resistant and the size, side skirts, and dual zippers (there is a light version with a single door zipper) make it heavier. This is a good comparison of some of the options:

20-25 nights trying to find the "optimum pitch" on the cantenary cuts -- and subsequent failures to actually do so -- pushed me back to a freestanding design. If I'm hunting elk, it doesn't matter, so the duomid was fine. Hunting sheep and mule deer, no way.

Tipi's were created to withstand the fierce winds sweeping across the plains. If you're going to buy a new order tipi ask them to sew in an additional set of guyout lines 2/3 of the way up. That should go a long way to eliminating the annoying flapping in the wind.

Seriously... you are comparing a 500+ lb dwelling with 15-25, 6 inch diameter trees supporting it to a single pole + tarp that weights 2-3lbs? Kinda like comparing a big Agnes to a ger...

I have the SO 4 man tipi and medium stove. It’s really loud in the wind no matter how tight you think the pitch is, but it always withstands the wind without damage. I just sleep with ear plugs...
I have to agree. I don't have one, but I hunted last season with a buddy that does. I really like his setup with a mini stove. We were in the Breaks and had some very bad wind a couple of nights. My 4 man tent flexed/collapsed and popped right back up. His teepee swayed a bit, but it took the wind great. The noise of it was almost unbearable though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back