Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SE Region CPW Sportspersons Caucus

Zach

SE Region Caucus called to talk about the legislative session, big game draw, 2021 objectives

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Sportspersons from across Colorado are invited to Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s Southeast Region Sportspersons Caucus on July 21 – the first in-person Southeast Caucus gathering in more than a year – for updates on a variety of issues important to hunters, anglers and outdoor enthusiasts.

The caucus is scheduled 6-8 p.m., Wednesday, July 21, and will be held at the CPW Southeast Region headquarters, 4255 Sinton Road, Colorado Springs, 80907, in the rear classroom. It will also be streamed live, online, via CPW’s statewide Facebook page.

It will feature Southeast Caucus representatives Larry McCormack and Ron Goodrich and CPW Southeast Region Manager Brett Ackerman who will provide updates on recent action by lawmakers that will impact CPW, the big game draw process for hunting licenses and discussion of CPW objectives for 2021.

Other topics on the agenda include updates on terrestrial and aquatic biology issues, regulations governing state wildlife areas and a wolf reintroduction briefing.

It’s a great chance for hunters, anglers, trappers and outdoor enthusiasts to engage with McCormack and Goodrich, who reflect the positions expressed by SE Region sportspersons to the statewide roundtable when important policy decisions and issues are debated. Caucus attendees will also be able to engage with Ackerman and other CPW staff.

“We want all Colorado residents to have an active voice in how CPW manages wildlife,” Ackerman said. “The caucus gives our outdoors enthusiasts a direct way to participate in statewide debates on CPW policies, regulations and resource management decisions.

“Everyone who loves Colorado’s outdoors and wildlife should attend our free caucus and join in our wide-ranging discussions with sportsmen and sportswomen. We want to hear your ideas. We value your input and hope you will come and help us protect your natural resources.”

The caucus agenda is posted on the CPW website.

Well, as things seem to go lately, I won't make it down tonight.
I’m still up north, but if anyone sees this and attends, would love to hear about the discussions. Thanks for posting, Zach

Probably the same old same old....

Sorry, even though we're the best funded agency in the west, we're broke and need more money from OTC tags so we can fix our fish hatcheries, dams and put gender neutral toilets in at the state parks! But here's 5 acres of new STL access which we might lose in the future if funding runs out

I’m still up north, but if anyone sees this and attends, would love to hear about the discussions. Thanks for posting, Zach
You can watch the whole thing here: https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoParksandWildlife/videos/890030374915554

The audio isn't great (people having a conversation in the background) and the camera work is a little wonky, but I think you can hear/see most of it.

My take-aways:
1) A rancher out East doesn't like the elk eating his crops/hay.
2) People are STILL bringing up "timberwolves"...ugh.
3) People are still really worked up about wolves in general and they want answers but don't want to do basic research on their own.
4) CPW is going ahead with wolf reintroduction regardless of the confirmed wolfpack in the NW corner of the State. (This was the first time I had heard this, although I assumed that would be the case.)
5) Math is hard, at least for some people. "Weighted preference points don't get you any better odds of drawing." Ugh.
6) CPW staff genuinely care and are willing to put up with people's rants and still have a smile on their face.

You can watch the whole thing here: https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoParksandWildlife/videos/890030374915554

The audio isn't great (people having a conversation in the background) and the camera work is a little wonky, but I think you can hear/see most of it.

My take-aways:
1) A rancher out East doesn't like the elk eating his crops/hay.
2) People are STILL bringing up "timberwolves"...ugh.
3) People are still really worked up about wolves in general and they want answers but don't want to do basic research on their own.
4) CPW is going ahead with wolf reintroduction regardless of the confirmed wolfpack in the NW corner of the State. (This was the first time I had heard this, although I assumed that would be the case.)
5) Math is hard, at least for some people. "Weighted preference points don't get you any better odds of drawing." Ugh.
6) CPW staff genuinely care and are willing to put up with people's rants and still have a smile on their face.
On point number 1, it's more than that. The amount of elk on Malones land is unknown, but there are a lot. I would gladly help TJ out with his problem in a few months. Malone outfits his place, but if anyone neighboring needs elk of their grazing land, send them my way.

Back