MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

SE Alaska Fishing

Southern Elk

I'm interested in booking a fishing trip in SE Alaska next year. It's something I've always wanted to do. It will be me and my son who will be 12 by then. I've been looking into Ketchikan, but I'm not stuck on it. I'm more interested in Halibut than Salmon. Can anyone recommend, and area, guide, time of year?

I went to Seward last year and limiting on halibut was tough. Locals I talked to in Anchorage told me Homer was much better. Apparently halibut are closer to shore, not as deep, and more abundant. This was all second hand information

Sitka is good for halibut and ling cod as well as salmon. Lots of guides and lodges there. We are doing Frontier Charters in June. Also the most scenic part of Alaska IMO. We fished with a friend out of Juneau for a 7 day boat trip but the halibut fishing was not that great. Homer can be good but I think it is over rated and crowded. Best trip we ever had for huge halibut was Yakutat but it is kind of a dump. JMO.

Ketchikan offers good Halibut (and other bottom fish) fishing.

Outside waters on the west coast of Prince of Wales is very good fishing. There are plenty of Guides / lodges to choose from in Craig and Klawock but I'm sure bookings are good, so I wouldn't hesitate.

While being Guided you can only kill one (slot) Halibut, a day. When you fish on your own you can kill two of any size.

There is Halibut fishing early, middle & late season. They are a migratory fish so it gets better as the feed gets better as the season goes on. Herring start things off in April and it's like dominos after that through Oct.

Pick some dates (have alternatives) that fit into your schedule and start checking around.

I'm referring to the S SE waters. Ketchikan / POW Island areas. Rules & timing change as you go north.

Last edited:
I'm interested in booking a fishing trip in SE Alaska next year. It's something I've always wanted to do. It will be me and my son who will be 12 by then. I've been looking into Ketchikan, but I'm not stuck on it. I'm more interested in Halibut than Salmon. Can anyone recommend, and area, guide, time of year?
I’ve been looking into this as well. Keep us posted!

Give Sam Dalin @ Dalin Charters & Guiding in Ketchikan a call. He can give you a lot of options. We have fished & hunted with Sam and would rate him among the best. Visit his web site. Those guides and lodges up there are either booked or are nearly booked for next year. I would not go to Craig if I were going for halibut...my family fished there last year and the biggest we caught among the four of us was about 15 #. To give you an idea of the fisherman numbers in Craig.. the lodge we fished at took 600 fisherman last year. They do a great job but that place gets hammered.

Last edited:
Best trip we ever had for huge halibut was Yakutat but it is kind of a dump. JMO.
Lol. We were in Yakutat this past August and dump would certainly be an accurate description.

To the OP, also keep in mind that dogfish can become a problem in some areas in August. We fished mid-August in Yakutat and could hardly get a bait on the bottom before it got chewed on by a dogfish.

I wanted to bump this thread again. I didn’t do this trip in 2022, but hope to make it work this summer. We would either fly into Ketchikan or take the ferry from Bellingham, WA. I’m curious if anyone has taken the ferry? It would probably be more expensive, but it would be a really cool experience. Plus we would have our truck to explore POW island.

I wanted to bump this thread again. I didn’t do this trip in 2022, but hope to make it work this summer. We would either fly into Ketchikan or take the ferry from Bellingham, WA. I’m curious if anyone has taken the ferry? It would probably be more expensive, but it would be a really cool experience. Plus we would have our truck to explore POW island.
Can’t vouch for that ferry but I did the one from Ketchikan to POW this summer. One way was kind of enjoyable but doing it both ways was a bit much for me. Being able to drive around on POW would be kinda cool

Look into “Alaska wide open” if you’re interested in the POW area.

Kodiak Combos if you’re willing to entertain Kodiak Island.

Take the ferry best family trip we ever took. Can not wait to do it again. Great views, you can bring your own food and drink. You stop in other ports get to walk around real quick. I suggest the ferry for going up and flying back so you can transport your fish. Take the ferry you will not be disappointed.

My beef, if you will, is people who don’t take advantage of making the trip. Sure the ferry may add a couple of days to your trip but good lord you are going to see some really cool country. I applaud you considering it. I guided for 20 years out in Bristol Bay, always amazed at how many people didn’t care about anything but killing fish. The other was the guy on his first trip ever to Alaska telling me I obviously didn’t know what I was doing because no other boats were fishing where we were. I digres…
I would also vote for tying your trip to include silvers. Bring an 8wt fly rod and hang on.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back