Yeti GOBOX Collection

SD muley

T Bone

My goal this year was to take a good whitetail. Scouted out a good area that requires some legwork to get to, so there are lots of good deer there. Rut is in full swing here. Saw a few nice bucks with boners chasing does all over, but not what I was looking for. With an hour of light left I glassed up 3 bucks following a doe about 1/2 mile out. One of the bucks looked like a shooter.

I put on a hurried sneak and found them in the bottom of a brushy ravine. This fella was chasing a whitetail doe along with two decent 4x4 whitetail. Didn't know they associated with each other. I watched them for a while, ho humming around hoping something else would turn up. The mule deer made a face at me so I let 'er rip. He dropped at the shot.

IMG021.JPG

IMG013.JPG

Skinning him out I discovered this guy must have been the village idiot of the whitetail community as his butt and sides had lots of pokes from other bucks. Boned it out as it started snowing on me. Walked out in the dark in a snow storm with 40 mph wind. I got disoriented (not lost :))and luckily had marked the vehicle with the gps.....Picked up another buck tag and will be going back tomorrow for mr whitetail.

Shot was about 125 yards, sharp quartering away. Entry was just in front of the hip. Bullet recovered under hide on opposing front shoulder after going through guts, liver, lungs, shoulder blade. 130 grn Hornady sst out of a 270 win. weight of recovered bullet was only 68 grains. Thought it did a-ok for going through the shoulder almost lengthwise.

IMG023.JPG

Congrats T Bone on the fine muley! Have you had good luck with the Hornady SST's? I loaded up a bunch of those same 130's for my brother and his .270 and he swears by them. Chuck Adams poses are catching on!

Nice SD buck Tyson. Best of luck finding a good whitey next. I should be in the field chasing the same thing tomorrow in the shadows of Bear Butte.

Congrats Tyson....looks like the move has treated you o.k. so far...critter #3 for the season isn't it? Might be out your way to say howdy next spring- nephew in Rapid just popped the ? to his girlyfriend of the past 2 years :eek:

Way to go T-bone and even better you are able to get another buck tag which is just not fair!

That's a great buck Tbone! It must be nice to live in a state where you can take both types of deer in one year!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back