Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Screw in stand step use on NF lands?

Steve Petersen

Have an argument going with a coworker on the legality of using screw in tree stand steps in the National Forest. It’s my understanding you can not screw anything into trees as they cause damage to them, and he says yes you can use them, so long as you remove them at the end of the season. I’ve not found any info online saying either or. A call to the forest service has yet to be returned after 3 days. Who’s right and wrong here? I don’t stand hunt so it may very well be me.

Copied this off fs page:

Can I put up a tree stand in the National Forest?

Tree stands are legal as long as you don’t leave them in the forest unattended and you don’t damage the tree. Tree stands need to be portable and removed when not in use. You cannot put nails or screws in a tree, or remove limbs, without causing damage to the tree. There are tree stands on the market that meet these requirements.

Copied this off fs page:

Can I put up a tree stand in the National Forest?

Tree stands are legal as long as you don’t leave them in the forest unattended and you don’t damage the tree. Tree stands need to be portable and removed when not in use. You cannot put nails or screws in a tree, or remove limbs, without causing damage to the tree. There are tree stands on the market that meet these requirements.

Looks like I win lol and the rest is good to know as well. Thank you for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back